Dave's Music #134 Pretender


After I watched Long Mama's video released today I wondered what kind of playlist could I make out of the theme Pretender.  I also googled a thesaurus to find fake, imposter, and imitator as synonyms so off the my library.   This was a fun adventure and worthy to share with you all, heck I even went to vinyl I haven't imported yet that I found by searching my collection in my Discog library. We'll see if I find everything in YouTube... let's get going.

1) Poor Pretender - Long Mama

A recent release bought on Bandcamp Friday and like the intro said, a really, really fresh video.  No sour lemonade here:


Per Long Mama the great video was the work of Gabriella Cisneros, a fantastic film and photography artist here in Milwaukee.


2) The Pretender - Goldpine (formerly known as My One and Only)

Recorded and released while they were known as My One and Only they didn't have their music on Bandcamp, but it is now!  Just found that out, so it'll be bought in the future. 


3) The Pretender - Jackson Browne

From one of my top vinyls from my youth, but my playlist has a recording from his Solo Acoustic release.  No matter what you listen to, Jackson's song just goes by in a wink of an eye.  Since the solo recording is just him and the piano, this is live one is pretty much the same and you get to see Jackson up close and personal.


4) Elvis Imitators - Steve Goodman

Speaks for itself, loved the fan video.


5) The Imposter - The Bargain

Brand new song just bought on Bandcamp Friday.  (sorry this song will not be in the YouTube playlist at the end)


6) Pretend - Mark Erelli

This is not a relationship that will last I suspect, but this 2004 song is as fresh today as when it was recorded.  Great jazzy song that should make you slide around the kitchen.

If my smile
Ever fails to make you swoon
If my kiss
Doesn't send you to the moon
If my arms
Hold no charms
There's no need for alarm
Don't reveal how you feel
Just pretend


7) Just Pretend - Skyline

Keep dancing with some a little bluegrass I recently bought on vinyl, and thanks to Discogs I can tell you this is written by Willie Nelson who shows up later.


8) Pretend - Carl Mann

Let's keep you dancing with a Sun Records classic.


9) Let's Pretend - Kelsey Waldon

Kelsey put this gem out in 2016 and I picked up the vinyl when I saw her at the Shitty Barn is Spring Green WI this summer.

Let’s pretend we’re somewhere far away
Where nothing bothers us except for today
We’re gonna do the things we wanna do
We’re gonna have some fun and like it too


10)  Pretend I Never Happened - Willie Nelson

This playlist gave me a reason to go get the Me & Paul vinyl and import a few favorites.  This one has some standard great solos from the family.


Here's the one click playlist in YouTube


Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!