Dave's Music #151 - Mary

On my personal Facebook account I post too much if you believe my wife, and just right amount to many of the friendly stalkers who I meet at the grocery store and tell me that they know what I've been up to.  A few days back after I had a great night of listening to old vinyl, I said here's my Discogs Library, pick anything and I'll listen to at least one side of it.  The only person who responded so far was Doug a fellow vinyl collector and he picked Lowen & Navarro even though he said he noted I have it on a cd.  Boy they had such a classic sound, and as listening to songs struck my interest if there was a playlist in them.  "Walking on a Wire" had me search Wire and found 11 songs, and "Oh Mary" found more than 20.  I narrowed it to 22 and even includes one from a Lucy Wainwright Roche & Suzzy Roche.  (bought because I needed more Lucy in the library & it was her birthday, per Facebook)

Here's the playlist in case I can't find them all in Bandcamp or YouTube.


1) Mary - The Paperboys

First we go north of the border to the incredible "The Paperboys"  I owned it on Apple in an old account that I've lost its password, so I was lucky to find in Bandcamp.


2) Oh Mary - Lowen & Navarro

Ok I figured no way in Bandcamp, and while I found an audio video of the studio recording... I just had to add this video below.  Sadly, Eric Lowen has died top early with complication from ALS.


3) Mary - Emily Scott Robinson

Emily is back at it... telling stories that you hang on every word. Yes, and taste that whiskey on his breathe, and you just pray for Mary in this story.


4) Mary - Lucy Wainwright Roche & Suzzy Roche

Here is the song I just bought today and Bandcamp wasn't a help this time; the video tells me this is a cover of Patty Griffen.  It's a beautiful song in the studio and stripped down live on the video.  Oh the lyrics of the song.  Yes this won't be the only build off Mary Mother of Jesus metaphor or reality.

Jesus said Mother I couldn't stay another day longerFly's right by me and leaves a kiss upon her faceWhile the angels are singin' his praises in a blaze of gloryMary stays behind and starts cleaning up the place



5) Down in Mary's Land - Mary Chapin Carpenter

If you are following the list above, I'm skipping the 2nd over of Patty Griffith's song.  Now I can revel in a little step after a fiddle and old time band; boy I hadn't listened to this song in ages.


6) If Mary Were Here - Harry Chapin

Just a classic Harry story lamenting a loss of a woman and how she changed him.


7) Lady Mary's Eye's - Lucky Dog.

My parody Janis Ian's Mary's Eyes (written for Mary Black) and rewritten for Lady Mary Crawley.  I had  a nice studio type mix with a harmonica, but I have never released until when I wrote this blog.  I also wanted to share the video I hoped would get noticed on the NPR Tiny Desk contest.  



8) A Letter to the Dead Husband of Mary Ball - Ellie Gowers

A still haunting original song from Ellie, though you would swear it could be an old tale.


9) Mary Anna - The Wood Brothers

Not sure why this is my library, but now I'm following them on Bandcamp.  Always tough when the switch doesn't work.


And I get a chance to see them live:


10) Mary Mack - Jud Caswell

Marry, Mary Mack... listen if you heart can take the pace.


11) Mary's Eyes - Janis Ian

I'm going to call it quits for this post with half of the songs, and you need to hear the original.  I bought it in Apple, though Bandcamp has some great recent releases from Janis just not any old stuff.  I also love Mary's Black's eyes.  


No guarantees when I'll stop back to visit Mary... until then always click on this Playlist; I'll keep adding my Mary songs to it.


Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!