New Dave's Music Edition No 1


 I've been commuting more to Winona again, and that means solid uninterrupted music listening when I feel I need a break from news or podcasts.  Boy I miss sharing my new music on a radio show that people most times couldn't tune into at the exact time.  Since I hate Spotify for not paying artists a fair wage and Bandcamp doesn't offer putting mixes together of the songs you have in the collection.  I pondered, can I get it done in a blog.   I offer you my first offering.  Let's see how it goes and traffic will help tell me you are listening.

First Dave's Basement Tracks the radio show always started with a Dylan song or cover.


Wade Baynham is an artist that also does Christian music and is a great first for this blog post because I found him like a few others in this post, just cruising few arrivals in Folk Singer-Songwriter


Like this Tara Dente song I found as I was putting this blog post together.  I clicked the listen, and I was drawn into her sound. Of course with Bandcamp you are clicks away from reading about her: "Grounded in a kind of rootsy Americana, it’s only after letting each song bloom that one begins to hear all of Dente’s varied influences. From her early years surrounded by the sound of Celtic and church hymns, to her self-guided tour through American vernacular music, you hear solid fingerpicking, storytelling, and a voice that always offers comfort.  And from influences as diverse as Nick Drake and Enya, you hear a focus on not just songcraft, but soundcraft - using words and music seamlessly to create a cohesive whole."
I could just have easily found a musician that I'll love forever.


These first two songs are unique because I haven't even bought them yet, they are on my wishlists and I'll eventually buy then but I can listen to them a few times before Bandcamp asks me to buy the song, much better than a preview and not unlimited streaming like that rip off machine Spotify.

Next up is a little country sound from the big sky country Montana.  Marcie Lovgren was one those that I found in my search.  Her 7 song set had a couple of country but mostly heart, poetry and passion for adventure from her home base of Montana.  The mix of the songs and the musicians surrounding her are top notch.  An awesome first cd release, she is not going to crash from the Fault Line she sings about.


Let's change the groove.  I have overly felt grateful for the gifts I've been blessed with, and the right choices I made in life for family, friends, work and of course music.  So my recent find of Sarah Morris had an 2011 CD called "Grateful Moon" and this is one of my new favorites.  It sounds like a classic, and some of the rest of the CD has some classic, but this one is written by her and two others.   (BTW another reason I love Bandcamp is LINER NOTES)


Staying in the Twin Cities, a musician that I've booked a couple times and shared sound equipment with over the years.  We even put a CD out of Luke and Siri Undlin (Humbird) playing our House Concert (Click Here) Now Luke Callen released a new song from an upcoming CD.  This song is a walk around the city.  One never know who might be the ones who cook you dinner, family or strangers.


Katie Callahan is another find when I browsing BC's Singer-Songwriters.  More piano driven and "The Devil" drew me in and of course I went to her Facebook page and watched her groove with her daughters and sing some incredible a cappella songs and I was hooked.  When I get hooked I buy not to forget and start to listen over and over until I understand their music better.  She will be fun to get to know.


Speaking of knowing someone; Natalie Gelman is one person I know pretty well since we've hosted her a few times for our house concert and she was the first person ages ago that I started supporting in Patreon.  She is now with the label Blue Elan and has released "Heavy Heavy Heart"  I will report to her for some reason they have embedding turned off in their BandCamp page.   So you lucky dogs get to see her video that her hubby Brent produced.


I'm finding that it's time to wrap it up for today, so here's the artist I wanted to end with Siena Christie.  Another find from my browsing, her song "Dear Northland" drew me in with a soft arrangement and a vocal style that sounded like a celtic storyteller with a clear tone.  The more I listened to the tune I heard the precision of harmonies, a rare wind instrument called a ocarina, and the stories of visiting a northland that can be both wonderful in texture of beautiful China, intimidating with drunken unemployed miners, or just a little scary from the unknown.   

Now truly this is one artist I believe I can say we're finding on her way up.  Only 58 Instagram followers, and come on, she's got a great sense of humor. 


And only 22 Facebook Followers, people! She's awesome.



The last song I leave you with is a haunting beautiful song she ends her EP with "Moss in your Name" Stories from a cemetery, and I was curious so I asked her about the song and here is her response: "One grey day this past January, I was especially lonely. I wanted to be with other people, but I didn't want to break quarantine rules. So I went to the local cemetery to sit and meditate. No one else was there, except for the village of people who lay sleeping beneath my feet. I read their names and stories aloud to myself. I stopped feeling lonely and started feeling profoundly sad, but also profoundly grateful."



There's that grateful word again.  I do hope you enjoyed the journey and buy some of their music.  If you want me continue to write these blogs, like, follow, comment.  Until then browse my Bandcamp collection to find new music and ask me about any of them.  

#MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!