Dave's Music #19 - The Sapsuckers

 

At times I will devote an entire playlist to just one musical artist, and The Sapsuckers is one that always gets special attention in my library and life.  If I have an opportunity to see them live within a 30 mile radius from home, it's rare I miss them.  Plus they also played the house concert series back in 2017 before they hit the big time and made it to SXSW as a new artist showcase.

This week they were also brought front and center because they are being featured as the first podcast being produced by Adventures in Americana.  Here is the link  to listen to the podcast with Smouse in the House.  It's fun to learn more about them, and as I listened ... a big super fan like me DID, and it's not fair to put it in this post.



Since I own everything Nikki Grossman and Joe Hart have released as either the Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers and The Sapsuckers, plus the concert I taped and a few videos that I've ripped the audio out of, my library is pretty extensive.  Bandcamp does have two releases, and the other songs will need to come from videos, which isn't bad because live they are a treat to watch and listen to.  So here's a top ten (today) playlist:

1) Borrowed Time. - There is a reason why this is the first song on the best release.


2) Wishes - released on their bootleg CD.


Later they released a small limited edition vinyl with a more produced version.


3) Kickapoo Switcheroo, this "Swinging" recording is from their first cd release.


4) The Flower Girl continues their ability to tap humor.


5) Ocooch Mountain Home  where an original song sounds and belongs as a new traditional song.  


6) Fools Were Made To Be Broken  Sure sounds like it's a retro country classic, and it is but it's a Sapsucker original too.  Ha.


7) Sauerkraut Song.  A top ten needed this song as a must.


8) Hoss is ultimately going to be on the next release I bet, but remember my library has a few bootleg songs and this is one of my wife's favorite unreleased songs.  My is Honky Tonk Angel and I can't find that anywhere on the internet yet.


9) Come on Back, Break my Heart.  Sheer brilliant song writing with twists and hooks.


10) Someone Please Hold This Baby (So Mama Can Rub One Out)

Nikki may or may not be super excited this little bootleg video is out there for a song she wrote (that night) for a Dirty Song contest; she won!  She'll play it live in an adult audience.


Sure this list leaves out their Nikki's ability to sing in Spanish, the Fly on the Wall, and any highlighting any of Joe's great guitar work... I'll leave you with when I had a chance to talk to them when they were a finalist in the GRFF Songwriter Contest.


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!