Dave's Music #20 What?



What, an email that isn't junk? One from a real person and artist? Don't you get weary of pitches, many times you just reach out and delete without answering right?  In my days of booking musicians for either the fest or my house concert, I found myself answering everyone.  Too many times just not enough spots was more the issue than if I liked their music; though the later happened too.  So to my surprise I got my first pitch to put their music on the Dave's Basement Tracks.  Through Instagram, Sweaty Lamarr reached out to see if I would put her new song in the blog.  Ok, good pitch but will I like it?  I know someone who writes music reviews for all genres, and I'm sure he's searching for words at times when he doesn't care for the music.  I was prepared to tell her that, but she provided me her Bandcamp site and her music fits into my library; and great songwriting.  Plus when I stopped at her Instagram page, she is a hoot to follow, the pics above are from that page including the flame thrower.

First I don't do "New Song Release" blog posts, but I could see embedding it for a future update.  Next a theme, her song had four verses start with the line, "What I didn't mention".. that struck a chord to a favorite Dylan song, "What was it you wanted?" oh yeah you wanted my attention for a blog post so we're on!  Quickly I found over 23 songs I would listen to and picked 12, and a perfect split of 50/50 for female and male leads.  Everybody is sharing their puzzlement, what?

1) I Have Always Been in Love with You - Sweaty Lamarr 

I know for all that build up, I could have put her song at the end; don't worry more fun tunes are coming; plus I'll add her link for the new song when available Feb. 14th at the end. This particular song was described by Donovan Funk as "a story that occasionally makes you ask "did she really say that?" Right I had that impression to that I was so glad to find out the lyrics were on her Bandcamp release. I find out later it's from a CD project on Philly that she tossed in the garbage because she didn't feel it was coming together right.  Here a few select gems that would make Dylan proud.  If you buy it on Bandcamp, she'll be passing the proceeds to Harm Reduction Coalition in Philadelphia.

What I didn’t mention
Is that I miss losing sleep
To lift my shirt with the sun
As I flash you in the living room...

Maybe you’ll see my face
In a pile of cocaine
Slide your runny nose a
-cross my disappointment...

I’m not perfect either
Magdalene in leather
'Cause baby I see your legs
Striding through my dreams


2) What Was It you Wanted - Chris Taylor

You know I love Bandcamp links first, so I took an opportunity to search the song first before playing a Dylan YouTube, and I was lucky.  Chris Taylor I think is going to be a find for my collection.  I bought the song I was looking for, but the entire cd is Dylan Covers and he has 29 releases in Bandcamp. I am confident I'll be buying more of his stuff if it sounds like this.


3) What Am I to You - Norah Jones

Good Music has NO Expiration Date; curious if the 17 million fews go up a 1million a year, since it's only been out there since 2009.


4) What's Keeping Erica - Peter Mulvey

At first I had a cover of this song by Paul Cebar, but when I couldn't find it I went to the author who I also had in the library. So what's keeping Erica does stagger the mind.


5) That's What They Say - Michelle Lewis

Like I said Sweaty Lamarr will fit into the library, Lamarr will come right in front of Lewis and you can tell great singing and writing continues.

Well it's the last time I fool myself
into thinking it's forever
And it's high time I tell myself
it’s now or it's never
Well it's never going to be
how you dreamed it would be


6) What's Goin' On - Al Stewart.

Al Stewart, yes the Year of the Cat guy.  I was a fan before that came out, and had a chance to see him live opening for someone in Green Bay back in the 70's. I guess I was lucky to have imported this tune from vinyl I love the LP Modern Times (1975), it was his best.  He's still active and has a website where you could download the tabs to this song.  Cool. 


7) What's Right - Barbara Jean

Barbara has made the blog before, and I probably didn't state she won a Songwriter contest at Big Top Chautauqua Well I think that's what's right!

I spent all my life
Tryin’ to do what’s right
Traded years for dollars
Exchanged my life, liberty


8) What Was That - John Gorka

This 2001 released song is relevant today, it's primetime to reconcile and move forward.

Guess I'd better get back up
Get up off the ground again
Guess I'm really not so tough
Up is farther than it's ever been
It's not just that my pride's been hurt
Not just that my heart's been bruised
Fell down on my big ideas

9) What I'm Doing - Stone & Snow

Sure take it back to the first song, I'm not sure what Sweaty was doing was working.

I can't make you want this like I want this, like I need this, no
There's gotta be a better way to navigate your selfishness
'Cuz I gotta get through this, oh

What I'm doing is not working
What I'm doing now is no working out


10) What's This World - The Band of Heathens.

Really this this an all star group that doesn't get enough publicity.


11)  What's it Gonna be Like - Shanna in a Dress

Shanna is off wondering, join her on the journey.  What's it gonna be like? I don't know.


12) What Ever Happened to Rob - Jud Caswell

I love this song because I wonder all the time about some of the people I went to school with, all the people that have come and gone from WinCraft, and whatever happened to Heather Waters.
Karl whittled down almost two-hundred pounds and he turned his attention to Jesus
Ken’s back in school with Foucault and Camus and he’s writing his doctoral thesis
Kathy and Stew got a family brewing and Dave took that high-powered job
But nobody here has any idea
What ever happened to Rob?
We don’t want to guilt him, just want to get filled in
What ever happened to Rob?

credit


As we're wondering what happen to Rob, what's it gonna be like and what am I doing writing this blog; it's a mystery.  So let's go back to Sweaty Lamarr (read this to find out why she's called that) and her new song called "Mystery" releasing Feb 14th.  HERE's the update!



What you find out is the mysteries are today's little things, and I found out that little things will surprise me in my inbox.  I might have more people asking to be on the blog, and I've met a new friend or two.  Plus you might find a TWO hour podcasts with them and you think, I am subscribing to that guy too!  I haven't listened to all of it yet but I have found out about her writing a novel, being an upstart songwriter with a very unique style of writing lyrics with the beats in her head, her next CD will feature an answer to Dolly Parton's Jolene, and oh yeah farting all over the internet was from when she was writing a Wednesday Watch reviews.  Here's a taste of the little mysteries in her next release:


I thought I had it all figured out 

Wonderment in flames, awe was for the bereft 

But I couldn’t be happier to be wrong 

If a hand I don’t believe in 

Has some mysteries left 


Little fireworks

Phantom crossettes in the backyard

That's all I wanted

No flayed fingers on the sparks

Fewer singed eyelashes

Fewer migraine plumes

Hope was laughter I had heard

From the other room

but this time I sparked something that can stay

I didn’t know that I could still feel this way






Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!