Dave's Music #21 Tobacco Road


Here's an ode to Tobacco Road. Why? I'm old school and still call Apple Music iTunes, and I have an intensive library of music I bought in Apple, Bandcamp, and imported from CDs.  A few years back they introduced what they call Genius that would make 25 song playlists based on your library and their input from other users.  Google described it as:

Genius Shuffle is a quick way to listen to some music, when you have no idea what you want to listen to. Apparently, it looks at your entire library, and creates a playlist from the gestalt of your music tastes. ... And, as with Up Next, you can delete or re-order songs in that playlist.Sep 19, 2013

So I mention that because I tend to use these and then save them, and I had one saved called "Tobacco Road" and it caught my attention.  The song was based on the Barefoot Movement song, but of course my head went to Edgar Winter cover of John D Loudermilk's song.  I thought to myself I can make a better playlist than the genius; so here we go.

1) Tobacco Road - Barefoot Movement.

This talented group has played the region many times, and we hosted them at the Great River Folk Fest too, and this song is so full of texture, and Noah is at her finest on fiddle and vocals.  They are on Bandcamp, but not this CD.  Hey you all fix that.  ha.  I found it in YouTube, so you get a feel of how they gather around one mic.


2) Cigarettes & Matches - Barbara Jean w/Erik Koskinen (Dusty Heart)

My playlists will occasionally have a recording from my house concert series.  Erik quickly learned the Dusty Heart song.  I wasn't sure if I was going to find this to play it because it wasn't on the CD they released, but I found Barbara and Molly Dean (Dusty Heart) playing it in a gondola no less.


3) Cigarettes & Coffee - Hope Waits

Oh I love to hear Hope sing, she's my Billie Holiday, what a set of pipes.  She's not touring anymore, and if you can find her CD yet buy it.  I couldn't find it in Amazon today either.  While I just linked her best YouTube song, here's the song that she is covering. (better... really)


4) Cigarettes & Truck Stops - Lindi Ortega

Amazing this is quickly Lindi's 2nd match to a playlist theme, I've forgotten how good she is.


5) I'm Down to my Last Cigarette - Mike & Amy Finders

Mike and Amy toured for a few years and then got divorced, which made my friend's heart beat faster because he had a HUGE crush on her.  She is a such a treat, I did host them at the house concert.  I miss these two but life goes on.  Loved that the song was recorded and posted to YouTube back in 2012.  Love Mike's story of how you eventually quit smoking, I did around when I was 19.


6) Little Sweet Cigars - The Trishas

Boy when you put four moms together it's tough to schedule a tour and I they didn't stay together too long, but anything they put is outstanding harmonies. They seem to be still friends so follow them and see if they join forces again.  Sure wish they are in Bandcamp, but you get to enjoy the story and the song.


7) Six pack of Beer and a Pack of Cigarettes - Erik Koskinen

I do love the White Wall Sessions channel such clean music, this is pretty close to the studio one I'm listening to.  This tune is so Detroit and one of Erik's all time best. I love how steals Knopfler's line about playing guitar is like stealing all day.


8) Forty Cigarettes - Thankful Dirt

I believe I ran into this group from a pitch they made to the Great River Folk Fest, they are either from MN or IA, but I haven't seen them yet.  Robbing banks and smoking 40 cigarettes... interesting lady.


9) Tobacco Road - Mercury Rev 

Did you know that Bobbie Gentry had a song about that? Well she did and when Mercury Rev revisited it with some incredible singers, I found out.


10) Dim Lights, Thick Smoke - The New Riders of the Purple Sage

All these cigarettes have the blog filled with smoke, so I have this song in the library from both John Prine and an import I did from the Purple Sage vinyl.  When I found this rare video, I knew which one was going to stay in the playlist.  


11) Laughs and Jokes and Drinks and Smokes - Mark Knopfler

Of course I'm a huge fan of Mark, and his 2nd mention in this post alone.  Now this video is the best one out there, but the drum solo goes on for about 50 seconds... yikes.  It's got such a celtic feel, and so incredible he pulls off the sound perfectly on stage.  The studio version I have in the playlist isn't much different.


12) Tobacco Road - Ed Palermo Big Band

So the idea of the blog post was to bookend the two songs I was most familiar with, and of course searching Edgar in Bandcamp got me to this awesome cover.  Love it, will likely buy the whole cd, but first here's a great cover of the JD Loudermilk's song.  


Of course I had to check what YouTube had for a video of my childhood legends, Edgar and Johnny Winter.  I found this one, though I love his White Trash Live version better with Rick Derringer. Yes I will sometimes still put them on the turntable and crank it, but only when Lori is gone.


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!