Dave's Music #22 Revisited GRFF Radio Colors


With my Great River Folk Fest Radio show with over 50 shows in the can, and the DBT radio version with over 25 shows, I believe our Thursday post will become the spot for a revisit or somewhat throwback Thursday edition.  The malaise of winter colors begged me to brighten up your world, so let's revisit the Oct 19th Show, and see what we can find in Bandcamp and YouTube.  Keep in mind the GRFFR program had tight rules that the artist had to play or be booked by the Great River Folk Fest.  (We bent the rules for the songwriter contest and one other show asking for who to book)  So here was the playlist:









1) When Fall Comes to New England - Cheryl Wheeler

This is such a beautiful fall image painted in many colors during the song but my favorite line "leaves are Irish Setter Red" that I decided to buy the cover of the song in Bandcamp when I found it by a group called Full Moon Ensemble.


Here's Cheryl's version.


2) Red Dirt Road - Kelley McRae

Oh I keep wanting to say a song would be in my top XX list, and I worry that XX might become XXX; ha, but this one is in that list.  I have to give both the BC and YT links because the video is so special being in a laundry mat in Europe somewhere and it was all I had that to listen to until the studio version came out.  I love how they describe Matt Castline's lead, it is amazing in the video and in the studio version.



3) Letters from the Black Sea - Amanda Pascali

Officially she could be on the show because she was a Songwriter contest finalist, and this song again has a great concert video so you get both.  Love watching the instrumentation of an accordion and cello.



4) Am I Blue - Paul Cebar

Boy am I lucky to find this rare acoustic song release by Paul on a CD called "One Little Light On" was out in YouTube with excellent sound and solo acoustic.  Enjoy, I did.


5) Little Girl / Yellow Gal - Clay Riness

My first strike out on this great string tune.  Clay's music is rare to find on-line and this song is on his CD "Best of Four".  I did find a podcast talking to him that I will listen to. 


6) Blue Boat Home - Peter Mayer

Peter is in BC but not this ultimate best folk song borrowing on a hymn.


7) Make the Bottom Yellow - Prairie Smoke

Two strikes outs, well I expected that from an awesome local band.  Here's a little video that will make you know they exist too!  They are actually real friends in flesh and blood too.


8) Red Apple Juice - Spider John Koerner

Another artist that I was hopeful when I searched.  I did find this legend has one offering in Bandcamp that is now on my wishlist, and here's a video version of the song on my playlist. Note the video isn't really clear but I think he might not have 12 strings strung on that 12 string.


9) The Red Corvette - John McCutcheon

John took on what Snopes considers a legend and even referenced him in the report.  Please watch the video until the end before you read the link


10) Gold Watch & Chain - Bill Staines 

If you haven't heard, in December of 2021 we lost Bill to cancer.  Here is the legend covering a traditional song.  In the future we'll post more of his music, unfortunately he is not in Bandcamp.


11) Red Iron Ore - Art Thieme

Before I started this playlist blog post, I would have bet you $1 that there was no way Art would be out there, and if anything not this song.  Well the internet proved me wrong.  Another late local legend who I probably saw nearly 20 or 30 times and heard many a bad pun or joke, and always kept coming back.


12) Everything Green - Christine Kane

Christine has switched careers and she'll show up for sure in other playlists, her music is so fresh and a few totally funny songs I absolutely love.  I hope future song might be more live videos, of course she's not on Bandcamp.  (you can still buy her past recordings on Apple music)


13) 1952 Vincent Black Lightning - Beth Wood

Beth is a sweetheart that I've booked for the house concert multiple times AND it takes dedication because she is allergic to cats so I rent a rug doctor and clean the carpets before she comes.  I've teased I always wanted her to do this song, but it never makes it into her set list.  Not in Bandcamp, but you can buy direct from her. HERE,


14) Rainbow - SHEL

I feel so lucky to have inspired the fest to book these four sisters.  I have seen them live twice and of course I follow them as a band and Eva (the lead singer) in solo projects.  If you think the video is stunning, it is. 


15) Black Jack Davy - Sally Rogers

Good music ages well, and so does Sally.  I of course have a recording when she was a bit younger (let's say I saw her at a folk fest in 1979 in Ironwood MI).  She still has a great voice and can play that mountain dulcimer.


We made the first GRFF revisit with only two strikes... better than I thought.

For FLASHBACK Friday, I love to add the ONE Click Playlist if it isn't in the blog post yet, and here it is.




Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!