Dave's Music #23 Ghosts

New to my library, The Whitmore Sisters, "Ghost Stories." Yes sometimes I do instantly buy something that is BRAND new, it happened Saturday when I saw this post from Red House Records  Promises to age well too.


Whitmore?  quickly came to mind that it was THE Bonnie Whitmore who played bass on this classic video and again it's a Music Fog video.  Only 1.9 million views, come on people let's make 2 million.


So I knew I needed to do a playlist and "Ghost" made sense, wow again I had well over 20 songs before I would go inside the song for a reference.  Just for you all I listen to them all and work it back to 12.

1) Blind Willie McTell - Chris Taylor

If I can I will start a playlist with a Dylan song or cover, and I've been grooving to Chris's Dylan cover cd- Update since blog release - Chris has moved this CD to private, so the link won't work... sorry.

Them charcoal gypsy maidens
Can strut their feathers well
But nobody can sing the blues
Like blind Wille McTell
Seen them big plantations burning
Hear the cracking of the whips
Smell that sweet magnolia blooming
See the ghost of slarvery ship


2) The Ghost of Saturday Night - Tom Waits

The one in my playlist is a rare spoken performance from a radio show, don't ask me where I got the bootleg from but it's pretty cool.  Now try it yourself in you best gravelly Tom Waits voice.  "Could be a Coil" needs to sound like a question, and Hashbrowns, Hashbrowns needs to be spoken with love.  If I can ever find it online to share I will, darn licensing rules.

A cab combs the snake,
Tryin' to rake in that last night's fare,
And a solitary sailor
Who spends the facts of his life like small change on strangers
Paws his inside P-coat pocket for a welcome twenty-five cents,
And the last bent butt from a package of Kents,
As he dreams of a waitress with Maxwell House eyes
And marmalade thighs with scrambled yellow hair
Her rhinestone-studded moniker says, Irene
As she wipes the wisps of dishwater blonde from her eyes
And the Texaco beacon burns on,
The steel-belted attendant with a ring and valve special
Cryin' fill'er up and check that oil
You know it could be a distributor and it could be a coil
The early mornin' final edition's on the stands,
And that town cryer's cryin' there with nickels in his hands
Pigs in a blanket sixty-nine cents
Eggs, roll 'em over and a package of Kents
Adam and Eve on a log, you can sink 'em damn straight
Hash browns, hash browns, you know I can't be late
And the early dawn cracks out a carpet of diamonds
Across a cash crop car lot filled with twilight Coupe Devilles
Leaving the town in a-keeping
Of the one who is sweeping
Up the ghost of Saturday night


3) Ghosts - Winona Wilde

Boy I love this song, "I'm a ghost inside your house"  This song is like many of the songs in the playlist where the ghost is a metaphor in a relationship.   Winona is a fairly recent find for me in Bandcamp, and I looked to see if there was video of this 2017 Kerrville winner from Canada with no luck.  I'm sure I'll be buying more of her in the future.


4) Ghost - The Head and The Heart

Another metaphor for friends leaving never to be heard from again.

All my friends are talkin' about leavin', about leavin'
But all my friends are sittin' in their graves
All my friends are talkin' about leavin', about leavin'
But all my friends are sittin' in their graves
One day we'll all be ghosts
Trippin' around in someone else's home
One day we'll all be ghosts, ghosts, ghosts
Ghosts, ghosts, ghosts
One day we'll all be found
No longer lost, we're just hangin' around
One day we'll all be found, found, found
Found, found, found
5) Ghosts - Sofia Talvik

Why is he spending time with her, either in his head or physically, but you find out toward the end she's probably a ghost or figment of his imagination.  If he can't look up and see being with Sofia is the prize, well he's a little dense too.  Sofia is friend since I've booked her for a house concert, she's originally from Sweden and lives now mostly with her husband Jonas in Spain and Germany.  Sofia just might show up a lot in my playlists because one day I was inspired to buy her entire Bandcamp library




6) Ghosts - Danny Schmidt

My wife left me last wintertime to join another man
I lost her love forever and I lost my mind right then
When I tried but couldn’t picture her sweet face inside my head
I could only see her lover’s grin, it’s true I killed him dead....

And let me tell you what I’ve learned, what my guilty mind has seen
Of life and then of death and then how ghosts get stuck between
There’s no slamming doors, no rattling chains, no long black veils at night
But you’d wish there was cause then you might could die to put things right

But ghosts have got no bodies left, and ghosts have got no will
There just etchings on your conscience by the hands that had them killed
And the world it all looks yellow now, and every breath is foul
And the water tastes like rancid oil, and the mockingbirds just howl

Another relationship gone wrong ends up with a killing, hanging, and then he lingers as a ghost.  Danny is such an innovative writer with such texture in his lyrics.  He and his lovely wife Carrie Elkin have played both my house concert and the Great River Folk Fest, and he too is a Kerrville New Folk alumni.


7) Ghosts - Mark Erelli

Another metaphor for a lover not around.

I need you the most
When you're not around
I'm in love with your ghost
You're invisible now
I know that it's wrong
To keep holding on to something you can't even see


8) Ghost - Kelley McRae

Kelley, another house concert artist, has that voice I could listen to all day without tiring of it; and her husband on the guitar is so sweet and delicate on the strings.  Definitely they have that same groove that Gillian Welch and David Rawlings have.  In this ghost song Kelley begs not to believe in ghost and keeps wondering about it.  Grieving death is sometimes a struggle like this, and it was written after Kelley lost her mom.


9) The Ghost of You Walks - Mollie O'Brien & Rich Moore

Not sure why or when I got this gem in the library, and I feel lucky I found it in both YouTube and Bandcamp.  I've started following them, so maybe more in the future.




10) Place of Ghosts - Dave Starke

Dave had two songs with ghosts in the title but the other one was already in our blog under Murder on the Mississippi Express.  Dave loves the mysterious side of the world from his view from South Africa.


11) Ghost of The Saint Louis - The Sapsuckers.

While the Sapsuckers are more focused on their original country tunes later, you got to just love a kazoo playing fiddle player.  Nikki rocks on this kind of only upbeat song in this playlist.


12) Ghost Stories - The Whitmore Sisters

Where we started this blog, I love the new cd and look forward to re-discovering the rest of Bonnie's library of releases or they will haunt me.

If we had met
I would have loved you
We could have made our own story
But you disappeared
Like a shadow into the dark

Knowing now what you went through
Deepens the pain that you’re gone
There’s nothing left
But to talk to your ghosts at night

I wish I had known you
It haunts me just the same
I will remember
I will say your names



Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!