Dave's Music #31 DBT Flannel Fest

Our Thursday posts relive one of the radio shows I DJ'd back in 2019/20, and today is the Dave's Basement Track show that previewed the Flannel Fest in 2020.  Here's how I described it back then:

My new friend Erik Kjelland introduced me to this fest, and what a great lineup. Tonight we'll rock many of their artist, but of course I found a rare Dylan cover to kick it off. Rare enough I taped it from a Paste DVD from back in 2011.
Now in its 7th year, Flannel Fest has become an annual celebration of local, regional and national Americana music benefitting the Keep Wisconsin Warm/Cool Fund (KWW/CF), a statewide non-profit charitable effort that steps in to keep the heat and power on for thousands of elderly, people with disabilities, veterans, and working families with young children in crisis. Flannel Fest 2020 will look a bit different than past years as it moves online with a free Facebook Live Stream event on Saturday, November 21, featuring performances from 18 artists around the country. Bust out your favorite flannel attire, snuggle up and enjoy music hours of music from the comfort of your own home while supporting a great charity via virtual tip jars.



It was truly a fun show that really got me to go out and buy some new music for the library, and so many of them in Bandcamp that fits perfectly into this playlist.

1) The Man in Me - Blitzen Trapper

Ok I was subscribed to Paste Magazine back in 2011 and they put out a dvd or CD best of 2011 and this song was on it.  Unfortunately while they have a Bandcamp page, it's nowhere to be found there.  It's a great song and this video doesn't do it justice.  If they read this someday, I hope they pay Bob the publishing costs and put it up for sale in Bandcamp.


2) Walls by Trapper Schoepp

Got to love someone who was born 90 minutes from me at Red Wing MN, and grew just east of the Twin Cities in Ellsworth WI.  Bob Dylan seeped into his blood, and he took his passion to Milwaukee to start his music career. 


3) John the Revelator - Trapper Shoepp and the Shades

Oh I so love this song, and it's one a fantastic collection of Wisconsin musicians.


4) New Heaven - Christopher Gold

I'm not sure if it was Flannel Fest that introduced me to this wonderful songwriter who now lives in the Fox River Valley of WI, but I'm glad for it.  A Steve Earle type voice, but a much more gentle persona.


5) A Couple More - Christopher Gold


6) Milwaukee's Best - Adam Greuel 

Take a guy who leads a bluegrass group called Horses and Hand Grenades, mix in a love for Wisconsin and even a buddy of his known for comedy (Charlie Berens) and you have Adam.  One of the nicest guys you'll meet.


7) In the In Between - Towne

I do need to listen more to this duo from Nashville, again this playlist pointed me over to their music and I bought this CD.


8) Born to be Wild - Towne 

Of course this cover got me hooked, oh my it's good.


9) What are you Smoking - Brett Newski

Yes, this guy has a sense of humor and a passion to put out music.  A great follow, look him up.


10) Falling For You - Kyle Megna

We're back to the Wisconsin Collective again for another voice that was new to me for the show.


11) The Luckier You Get - American Aquariam

Another band the fest turned me on to, and now I have a few of their CD's in the collection.  Great harmonies and a groove that makes you get up and yell, "hell yeah"


12) Tear it Down, Make it Better - The Mascot Theory

I of course need to end it with 3rd song from the WI Collective and one from the band the fest founder, Erik Kjelland is the lead singer.  Erik is also a talented free lance artist in Madison.  


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!