Dave's Music #32 Songs about Musicians V1


This playlist evolved first after I read this blog post about Ash & Eric by Dave Franklin, which then took me to a longer interview story , and I ultimately ended up on their Bandcamp page.  I was immediately drawn to a single called, Simon, Taylor, Denver, Cash, and love it when a musician takes the extra effort to post the lyrics.

The first time I heard Graceland, my heart fell on the floor
It stole my breath & shook me to the core
So every Friday night I play it in another crowded bar
‘Cause I think we all need grace no matter how drunk we are

Simon, Taylor, Denver, Cash - these songs can make me cry
But no one’s really listening in a dive at 10 at night
It pays ok and it’s hard to say no to a little dough
But I’m driving home and I’ve never felt so low

A purchase was made and a playlist idea was born because I knew I would have a bunch of songs written about musicians.

1) Simon, Taylor, Denver, Cash - Ash & Eric


I'm updating this playlist with a one click YouTube playlist in Oct 2023 as I'm working on Volume 2, so here's a video of the song. (BTW the playlist will be a different one that I couldn't embed, but I love solo live recordings)



2) Johnny Cash on the Radio - John Francis

I truly don't remember why I have this song in my library, but I'm glad I found it again, AND that he's in Bandcamp to share and to follow for future purchases.




3) Johnny Cash - Kelley McRae

Yes, Kelley shows up frequently in my playlists because I think I own everything she has released and her writing is very eclectic hitting on so many themes.  This 2006 song was one of the reasons I fell in love with her music, and yes she gets both a Bandcamp link and YouTube because she should be dear to your music playlists too.  Remember good music has no expiration date, it just lingers around until someone discovers it again.




4) Autographs in the Rain - Kinky Friedman

Not only did this legend get pushed by Willie Nelson to put out a new cd in 2018, he decided to tip his cowboy hat back at him with a memory of watching Willie sign autographs in the rain.  Added a great Mickey Raphael harp and knock off riff into the song.  If you don't know Kinky, try out "They Ain't making Jews like Jesus Anymore"



5) Pink Moon for John Prine - Humbird

While this song doesn't specifically mention John, he died on the day of a pink moon, and Siri Undlin (Humbird) was inspired to write a song with a very familiar Prine style.  John would be proud.  During a recent house concert with Siri & Luke I heard the back story of them searching for the pink moon through the heart of Minneapolis's looming tall buildings.




6) Fishin' With You - Carsie Blanton

THE Song that turned me on to one of my Favorite Pandemic Music finds!  I'm pumped that I have tickets to go to the Moccasin Creek Festival to see her this year.  This song deserves both a bc link and the YouTube that I fell in love with after John died.


The playlist at the end has a different live video because this one couldn't be shared in the playlist? weird?


7) Gypsy Django - Humming House

I believe I got this 2012 gem in my library from the days I would bounce around in Noisetrade.  I believe they are now owned by Paste Magazine; not as much fun as the old days; but this music is. So glad I found them in Bandcamp, commence following them.


Such a fun video to add to the post!



8) Patti Smith - Annalise Emerick

She actually hits multiple woman musicians in the first verse, but the song is dedicated to Patti.  Again I don't remember when I got the song in the library, absolutely love the video, but wish she would get her old and new music into Bandcamp.


9) Bob Dylan's Poetry - The Four Bitchin Babes.

Hey if you never heard of these four women who got together and joined forces for a TEN CD's then read this Wikipedia post.  It told me that I've just scratched the surface on their music.  Here is the writer of the song and a long time member of the group, Debi Smith.


10) Phil's Guitar - Tom Smith

I met Tom through the Great River Folk Fest Songwriting contest.  Here's Phil Och's guitar. --- Update after blog was originally published.  I had a chance to have Tom tell me the origins of the song, "Well, in fact the guitar in this title is one that my friend Phil Knudsen had custom made from a walnut plank that was found in a barn. Phil is indeed a musician, so it fits your theme - but fair to say he is known mostly locally here in New England. But as a fan of Phil Ochs, I am truthfully pleased that you would connect this song to him. I have also said that I would consider it a compliment if other musicians inserted names other than "Phil" to match their own experience. Now that you know the details, I suppose you may reconsider the inclusion. But I will send you a couple more suggestions of songs I wrote honoring Pete Seeger."

At least Phil is still a wonderful musician.  I love when we can share inspiration.




11) Neil Young - Danny Schmidt

As a writer and avid coverer of songs, I have a deep appreciation when someone says "The night began with _____'s chord"  So many songs have a progression, hook, unique chord that immediately calls up a full ensemble of memories.  Danny hit it on the head.

Well the night began with a Neil Young chord
Lazy and lovely and bored
With my ear on her belly, and my legs off the edge
And I couldn’t quite tell if we were still holding hands


12) Woody's Road - Alaska Hobo Jim

I bought this after I heard about him dying in October of 2021.  He was a voice I did not know, but it sounds like he was a great guy.


13) Do You Know Any Dylan - Eric Bogle

As a huge Dylan fan, I find this hysterical.  Eric is such a fun Australian songwriter. 


14) Emmy Lou - The Oak Ridge Boys

In my youth I was a huge Statler Bros & Oak Ridge Boys fan, and knew I had this song on vinyl, but it was faster to buy it again in Apple Music.  Of course I had and still have a crush on Emmy Lou Harris too.


15) Gone Away (Married to Bob Dylan) - Courtney Yasmineh

A new digital music friend of mind put out a great CD of covers, but it also included this original she  added as a nod to when she was deeply married to Bob's music, or at least that's what I can gather.


Dang I love this new improved post, especially that I found this video to end it.


Yes... in later blog posts we decide to create a One Click playlist in YouTube for you to be able to put it in the background, so here's your update.


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!