Dave's Music #33 Dresses


While I was listening to James McMurtry song "Angeline", there's a line that goes, "Dresses fit tighter with the spring in the air"  It says so much without saying exactly what it might mean; and then I thought of "Man in the Long Black Coat" opens "Crickets are chirping, the water is high; there's a soft cotton dress on the line hanging dry"  Dang dress imaginary; what can I do with that in a playlist?  Well you are about to find out.  Let me remind you that all these songs have to be owned by me; and yes I do own both Devil in a Blue Dress and Thunder Road that starts "The screen door slammed, Mary's dress waves", but I'll take you down an adventurous Americana journey of dresses.  You can touch but gently and only if given permission.

1) Black and White Dress - Jaspar Lepak

Oh my let's kick this off right with a quick groove from one of my new favorites.  "Mama would tell her dress is a little to tight, but Mama ain't here tonight."


2) The Dress - Emily Scott Robinson 

This wonderful song is not on her Bandcamp page, and I'm going to guess that it's because Oh Boy picked her up and didn't have rights to it; but I did find a nice live video of it.  Emily is one rising star, and yes it's on a tough subject as pointed out by Emily in the video description, "This is my #MeToo song. May all survivors of sexual assault find healing and safety in their lives. If you need to talk to someone about your experience, please reach out to RAINN at 800.656.HOPE (4673) or at rainn.org"


3) Dress of Laces - Nanci Griffith

When you go, boy this was a great idea.  I have completely forgot about this song.  Great duet with her husband at the time, Eric Taylor.

And she has a dress of laces
It's worn in many places
The shoulder hangs upon her by a thread
And she has a need for sharin'
For someone warm and carin'
And no one sees a heart that's underfed



4) Red Dress Girl - Erik Koskinen

Another Erik siting in the blog, and another where he struts off the Mark Knopfler like groove that I appreciate from him.  


5) It's Just a Dress - Steel Blossoms

Of course here's the first song about a wedding dress, by this cool duo that I've been following for a while.


6) Dressed in White - Malcolm Holcombe

Could likely be the second sighting of the wedding dress, but Malcom leads you to just imagine that he is the best her father offered.  Malcolm was a April 2020 pandemic purchase and the song from 1999.  As required to say each blog; good music has NO expiration date, it just sits there waiting to be discovered by someone new.


added for Flashback Friday....

7) Yellow Dress - Holly Clausius

Hey you in that yellow dress, I believe I'm falling in love with you.  At least Holly is, and I would need to see her eyes too.  ;-)


added for Flashback Friday


8) Man in The Long Black Coat - Lucky Dog.




As mentioned in the intro, this was one of the first songs that came to mind because of that first verse. My playlist has Chris Taylor's song, but he has since made the cd "My Tribe Exclusive" so I posted my cover instead.  I'm proud of my cover including the infamous Randy Sabien on fiddle.  Plus it was the first time I paid licensing costs to publish a few cover songs.




Added for Flashback Friday:


9) Weddings and Funerals - Emily Earle 

Oh my, one of my favorite songs and I even covered it with changing the words a little, but I didn't publish it anywhere because I couldn't buy licensing.  Right she is the niece of Steve Earle and an employed songwriter in Nashville.  I'm always careful to not step on her toes.  One because she is a friend and that industry is a little touchy.  Plus wouldn't want to hurt those pretty toes. Here are the lyrics after I twisted them to a male voice.
10) Flowered Dresses - Slaid Cleeves

This was another song that immediately.


So for Flashback Friday, I've added a one click YouTube playlist for your ease of listening to multiple times; hope you love it as much as I do.

Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!