Dave's Music #38 States Route 1

Networking is a top priority if I am to build a base of followers to this music blog.  I'm not in it for the money, but if no one is reading it; why am I investing the time? Right?

Ok one of my new approaches is to reactivate my Twitter presence, yes Twitter egad what's next Tic Tock? I'm even encouraging and accepting new Instagram followers!  Don't worry, I'm still doing my best to weed out odd follows and keep looking for others that kind of match my tastes.

One of those matches was Annie Rost, who described herself as "Closet Singer who's starting to get a little recognition" and you know I love the independent musician that's a little acoustic Americana country.  I must have said somewhere, boy I'd love to see your music on Bandcamp to buy it; and she listened!  Now I'm personally committed to buy anything she releases.  She's up to two songs in Bandcamp and the second release, "Texas Hospitality" clicked and said to me, "Dave where's your state song playlist?"  Wow, 154 songs I found in my library without trying to even look at my hard copy vinyl or CD's.  I struggled a little what to do with this; Texas and California had the most; but I wasn't keen on state only.  Then I thought regional, and then it turned to ten at a time.  I believe this list approach will be more fun and eclectic, and the journey can go on and on as I add more to the library.  So this is our first born Route 1, next  will be Turn 2, then TriState; and you get the picture there will be lots of sequels and not a count down. Each new collection will add to the state story playlist, and I'll link them all for easy access.

1) Texas Hospitality - Annie Rost

Annie starts off in the first verse that Texas is changing, and I'm not sure where she is headed but I've heard it's turning purple! For that to happen in that HUGE state would be important for us as a country and maybe we could get back to normal where we find a way get along with different sides of the aisle.  Annie's also got friends everywhere and she says they love Texas. Ok, I've met a few people that don't always love Texas but they haven't met Annie yet.  Well either have I but someday, and I bet she's right there as one mighty fine hospitable Texan.  Enjoy this fast pace party song welcoming you to her home state.


Tune Tuesday update Jan 2023 Annie did put out a great video showing Texans helping each other in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.



2) Alabama Rain - Jim Croce

As we slow the pace we bring you to the gentle rain of Alabama, and the master storyteller Jim Croce.  I'm not sure if this song makes a top ten of his best songs, I have it at two or three at the lowest.  Oh the picture he paints of the scenery around a love's growing in the rainy scene. Boy, we were robbed of excellent songs; but good music doesn't have an expiration date, it just goes on the shelf until some one rediscovers it and devours it again.


3) Winter in Tennessee - The Roadside Graves

A group with a distinctive sound like Head & Heart bemoans the winter even in a pretty south state.  Song is from 2010, but still great.


4) Kentucky, I - Molly Parden

Another artist I had stashed away in the library, and when I searched her in Bandcamp I found a rich supply of new music.  I can't wait to nibble on some more of her material. 


Tune Tuesday update Jan 2023 Molly has this great video of her playing this song live.


5) Louisiana Man - Mercury Rev (featuring Erika Wennerstrom)

Such a classic dusted off with electronic music at it's finest.  This song mentions it's part of the Bobbie Gentry The Delta Sweete Revisited which is another outstanding recording that I went and got in vinyl for the collection.


6) California Snow - Sofia Talvik

I think the last playlist featuring Sofia she was singing songs about her old lovers, and in this winding upbeat song she lays a perfect vision of driving with her husband Jonas from gig to gig, even through some rare California snow.  Jonas is a definitely one of the nicest guys you'll meet, kind of a Swedish MacGyver; and he's married to Sofia so he's automatically a lucky dog.

Sixteen years ago is when I knew
That through sunshine
Through the rain and through the cold
Even broken down beside the road
Even in this California snow
There's no place I would rather be right now
Than in this car with you


Tune Tuesday update Jan 2023 Sofia put out this video from a Nashville living room.



7) Hell Broke Lose in Georgia - The Freight Hoppers

Not sure why this stringband isn't in Bandcamp, but I did find a high energy video.  I suppose this is a prequel to the devil playing Charlie Daniels.


8) Miss Ohio - Barbaro

Some pretty melodic banjo on this song, well done Isaac.


Tune Tuesday update Jan 2023, Barbaro's cover isn't in YouTube so let's take it to the writer of the song.



9) Texas Lullaby - Doobie Brothers.

Surely my love for Americana music started early in my life, and classic songs like this would fit in perfectly if released tomorrow by some band.  They can't completely eliminate the electric guitars, but they are blended in so tastefully, and Tom Johnson is and always will be the voice for them in my opinion.


10) Adios to California - John Hiatt

Ha...as a good Midwesterner, sometimes it would be nice to just say Adios to CA or TX, but deep down inside we love them and all the economic and food supply they bring us.  I absolutely love John is in Bandcamp too.


Tune Tuesday update Jan 2023, boy I would love to see John Hiatt just like this someday.


Tune Tuesday update Jan 2023, Yes all the new videos was to add the ONE Click YouTube Playlist, hope you enjoy and it gives you a listen to these great songs.





Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!