Dave's Music #39 Americana Hymns


Growing up Catholic, switching to ELCA Lutheran, and then playing in their praise band ACTS I've had a love for hymns and how they use some of the most beautiful simple and many times folk melodies.  As my Americana musicians have used "Hymn" in the song title it has always got my attention to listen closer.  This blog playlist hits on a dozen of my favorite in the library, including "Autumn Hymn" by Ash & Eric which actually spurred me to compile the list.

1) Hymn - Jane Kramer

Jane has graced previous playlists and isn't in Bandcamp, and I bought the music from her store.   Absolutely love how this one starts, so it has to be first in the playlist.

My hippie mama didn’t make me go to church

So I find God in the fireflies and digging through the dirt

I can’t sit in no office chair, I’ve got grass stains on my shirt

My hippie mama didn’t make me go to church.

Here's the video:


2) Autumn Hymn - Ash & Eric

As mentioned earlier, this song spurred the playlist and it's their second appearance in the blog. Since they were, let's give them both a Bandcamp and video link.  Hang in until the end of the video, every thing turns out and colorful.

Then a voice from above The haunting hymn of a dove Calling out o’er the whipping wind “Breathe in deep, and listen in.”




3) Battle Hymn (of the College Dropout) - Jeffrey Foucault

While he is on Bandcamp with Signature Sounds label, his older stuff isn't.  This song weaves melodies and phrase so familiar into a beautiful hymn to get by.

Mine eyes have seen the glory
Of that ragged flag unfurled
And I wonder when the light of the last
Honest man passed from this weary world and they say
Home is where the heart is
My home ain't in this town
I build walls and just to climb them
Climb them just so you can help me down



4) Hannah's Hymn - Kate Lynne Logan

Oh my the joy I get when I find a song I brought in for some reason in 2011, to find it, love it again, and then find it in Bandcamp, and this Friday I bought some new music from Kate.  This one is a haunting hymn about grandma.


5) High Desert Hymns - Jake Shane

An American songwriter who has relocated to Spain, has us out in the desert in some wild imagery.

There is something deeply hidden
In the tall grass where we live
No oracles, no blackboxes
Know what it really is
And still the saints stare up into the sky
With ropes around their wrists
While arrows fly and fires light
And the feet of kings are kissed
There are beasts among the baobab trees
There are exiles in our midst
There are wild dogs around us
Howling high desert hymns



6) Hymn for Whom - Humbird

I almost didn't notice this instrumental song on her new release as it blends into track 2 so gently.  Siri Undlin (Humbird) is an ELCA Pastor kid so she's heard the beautiful melodies her whole life, and she weaves one of her own.  Woodwinds and piano, let her transport you outside to a holy place in your soul.


7) Last Hymn - Melissa McCarthy

A dear friend who I've swapped songs with a few times.  She has a new release coming out, I need to convince her to get her music on Bandcamp.  She burned me a copy of her out of print album.  I did find her on YouTube playing the song.


8) Navy Hymn - Dakota Dave Hull

Ah, another fine instrumental from and excellent guitar picker.


9) She Sang Hymns out of Tune - Don Henly

Ok I've always loved this song I was introduce to by Don, but I wanted to know more.  It was written by Jesse Lee Kincaid, and I also have it on vinyl by Jim Ringer. 


Here's Jesse 

I would love to write a song covered by this group of people.











10) Workingman's Hymn - Lindsay Lou and the Flatbellys

Not sure why this release isn't out in Bandcamp with Lindsay's other material, and I've probably said I've hosted her for a house concert and the Great River Folk Fest before, but there I've said it again.  I'll tell you when she's in your area, go see her.  You need a shot of the joy she brings to the world, and in a way I'm kind of happy I'm sharing this video.  (hang into the end to hear about frogs and see the band have too much fun on set) The dobro play by Mark is absolutely perfect in setting mood and groove,  Joshua sets the beat on the mandolin chop, PJ plays harp while he slaps the bass... but that voice, Lindsay is another artist I never pass up an opportunity to buy her music.


11) White Winter Hymnal  - Fleet Foxes

So gentle of a song, truly a wonderful song choral for the new ages.



12) Doxology - Kelly Joe Phelps

Two great dobro player in one post.  While Kelly is in Bandcamp, not this great hymn cover, and why not end this playlist with a real hymn.  Now off to say a prayer of thanks.


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!