Dave's Music #41 Show Me the Money


This playlist started from a random play and Checks and Balance by Burke Ingraffia came up and while I was grooving to the snare and word play, suddenly it dawned on me...."Show me the money"  So I reached for the phone and created a new playlist on the fly and figured it would hit the blog someday.  Well next Bandcamp Friday came around and more and more money songs were in the mix.  I wonder why the need for cash tends to be songwriters mind.  Three more songs were added from that day's purchases before I even searched the library.  With new music to share I thought let's push this one up to our Saturday slot.

1) Checks and Balances - Burke Ingraffia

I met Burke through the Great River Folk Fest Songwriting contest, he can make all these big words work.

I've got a million dollars; it's hypothetical
A large amount in my bank account; it's parenthetical
The money I'm made of is theoretical
So in theory I've got it good
My fat wallet is on a diet
My balance sheet is lopsided
My income statement is keeping silent
So let's keep one thing understood

I need checks, I need balances
Life's a mess with financial challenges
Checks and balances, when things get tough
Do you do it for money or do you do it for love?


2) 79 Cents (The Meow Song) - Eilen Jewell

After I rediscovered Eilen for a previous blog playlist, I said I need more of her in the library.  This song is about the true balance of pay between Men and Women; I don't know I think in my library I might spend more money on Women performers.


3) Bailout Blues - Kieran Kane & Rayna Gellert

I found these two on a February highlight blog in Bandcamp. and what doesn't say "Show me the money" if not for a bailout.


4) Three Days on a Page - Little Miss Higgins

Another Canadian artist that I've loved for some time, she recently brought out a new single and it starts... 

For six pence I bought three days on a page
To keep track of our journey look back on it someday


5) Dollar Down  - Jim Craig (Cisco Houston by the way of Woody Guthrie)

I've seen Jim many a time throughout my years and an old folky from Chicago is rare to find anywhere on line.  I'd love to find a way to share it but until then, here are the classic lyrics and an old recording of Woody singing the song.  (Jim's is so much better, it was a live recording from a place in Fort Atkinson WI that I imported from an old cassette a while back.)  I love the way he introduces this song live, "This subject of this song is something I know nothing about, Money"

Friend of mine bought an automobile
At a dollar down and a dollar a week
Every time he turned the wheel
It was a dollar down and a dollar a week
He went riding down the road
Pinched this girl upon her cheek
Speed cop took him to the judge
He got a dollar down and a dollar a week
Sixty days he laid in jail
At a dollar down and a dollar a week
Another man was a lovin' his gal
At a dollar down and a dollar a week
When he got out he shot the man
And he laid him in the graveyard six feet deep
And when he bought the graveyard spot
It was a dollar down and a dollar a week



6) Trevor Bought a House - The Resonant Rogues

Ha with a title like that some bank said "Show me the money" though it's an instrumental song, so we can only imagine.


7) $4 Bottle of Wine - Steep Canyon Rangers

Ah the good times, but I usually splurge to the $5.49 bottle of wine.  Got to love the bottom shelf.

I’m in no hurry now
And I got worries on my mind
Open up a four dollar bottle of wine
Walk outside in the bright moonshine
Stay at home with my lady
Stay at home with my lady


8) Silver Dollar - Sierra Ferrell 

She don't want that silver dollar, but we all need that money. Love this great dance tune.


9) One Dollar Bill - Dom Flemons

Had a chance to see Dom live, what an incredible one man show with such a library of knowledge about history of music.  I have to admit this release meant twice as much to me after seeing him.


10) Three Dollar Bill - Maria Muldaur

Let's close is with some vamp from Maria's rookie release (yes it has Midnight at the Oasis) that I recently imported from a beat up LP some one gave to me.  Actually the vinyl wasn't bad but the sleeve had had 1/3 of the front label peeled off.  Still it's a great vinyl and Dr. John plays on this track.


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!