Dave's Music #45 End of Story




No it's not the end of Dave's Basement Tracks!  I love random play in the car, and it's not like I have the whole library in my phone.  I heard the Resonate Rogues play End of the Day, and I thought "End of" that might be an interesting playlist. and it was and of course "End of story" is the infamous line that Lori and I laugh at all the time in Fargo.   Plus we always say whenever we see Steve Buscemi, "He's kind of funny looking"


Now there are ends of relationships, lives, but I promise it's not as somber as the War playlist was.

1) End of the Day - The Resonant Rogues

Almost wonder if they are staying or not?  The song is very innocent, but the lyrics are very sultry.  Love it!

Oh the sound of your voice
and the smile on your lips
Oh your breath on my neck
and your hands on my hips
There's a spark in the air,
there's a fire inside
There’s a warmth in the bed
where the both of us lie

*I’m sorry to say I can’t stay,
But it’s almost the end of the day*

The feel of your chest
as you breathe in and out
All my fears fly away
and I haven’t a doubt
That it’s you that I want,
it’s your hand I must hold
To go stumbling down
this long crooked road

The night slips away
and the morning must come
And the time that we’ve had
will be over and done
So drink in this moment,
oh fill yourself up
For to last till the next time
I come fill your cup


2) The Parting Glass - The Littlest Birds

Here's a tip to the bar keep for the last round, and the end of the night.  Love how this is a 2011 release, I love it like it was yesterday.  Good music just has no expiration date.  I would be remiss if I didn't share why they put the song on their release.

Dave: While on tour I received an email that James Forward, one of my high school orchestra conductors had passed away from cancer. I knew he had been sick but had not expected the news. The note said that he had explicitly requested that I be at the memorial to perform. We had always had a good connection and had stayed in touch over the years, but this came as a surprise and an honor. Later I learned that he wanted me to play The Parting Glass. Once I listened to a version of it I thought it would be better if Sharon and I learned it together. It was a difficult task, but an honorable one and I felt incredibly touched to be invited to perform at his small memorial service. He was a very inspiring conductor and just a fun person. He spent his whole life as a teacher of music. And in the end, he taught me this final piece.  At the memorial, after days of hard work trying to tighten up our harmonies and still feeling rough, it seemed to just flow effortlessly and nary a rough note came from the nice borrowed cello I was playing (we were en route to Baja so all I had was my terrible "baja cello"). Turned out later that in fact the cello I was playing was one that James had owned, and I think that it was obvious that a spirit guided our performance that day.

Sharon: I had first heard this haunting song years ago and had always wanted to learn it and have someone to sing it with me. It was a bittersweet honor to have the best of reasons to work on this piece.



3) Cast Iron Skillet - Five Letter Word

Sometimes a story ends happy with the help of a Cast Iron Skillet, a great write by Audra Nemir of the band.


4) Go on and Leave Me - Porter & the Bluebonnet Rattlesnakes

The late Chris Porter is new to me since I've dug into the Whitmore Sisters, and here's a relationship ending.


5) Horseshoes & Hand Grenades - Annie Rost

Pull on your walkin' cowboy boots, and boy they got close, but it ended.


6) Jackie - James McMurtry

James weaves Jackie's story of leaving to drive truck, and then he story ended with a patch of black ice.  Dang a full novel in five minutes, and end of story.


7) Me and My Uncle - The Stray Calico

I told you in the other blog post, expect these ladies to show up again.  Now this story sure has a twist ending for that honest Uncle; moral watch out for masked women.



8) Deathly Callings - The Jenkins Twins

The boys are wondering when the story will end.  Poor bones don't feel like they used to, how can they sing that in their 20's.. Ha.  Just love their harmonies and instrumental sculpting of the song, and it doesn't make me sad.


9) For the Whom the Bell Tolls - Krista Shows

Would you do it again, even it would just end again?  Love the way this woman sings.


10) Last Will and Testament - Bonnie Whitmore

Bonnie as she told you in the Whitmore Sisters release, she has a lot of endings in her romantic life:

So I’ll work on my reverie
The only one that hurts is me
And I don’t need to take your time
‘Cause it’s just one more off my list
And we can seal it with a kiss
And I’ll go back to writing my
Last will and testament


Here we end the playlist noting that ALL the songs are available on Bandcamp.  My recent home to buy music, and artists break the chains of Spotify and evil streaming, at least put your music on Bandcamp too and find out you'll make money.


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!