Dave's Music #49 Baseball Songs


Thursday's are many times throwbacks to the radio shows from Ocooch Mountain that I put together, so today we'll pitch one just a bit outside as we look forward to the warm weather and sitting in the stands, or maybe even listening on the radio.  While radio show back in April 2020 had the following playlist, we'll see if I can find them in YouTubes and Bandcamp.

\


1) Catfish - Bob Dylan

The radio show always started with a Dylan song (either a cover or the master) and I was truly worried he never wrote one about baseball.  Catfish Hunter was immortalized but it took him releasing a bootleg CD to bring it to the market.


2) Take me out the Ball Game - Steve Goodman

Oh my Jethro Burns is outstanding on this song. 


3) Bonehead Merkel - Chuck Brodsky

Chuck has released TWO volumes of Baseball songs, so I need to be a little choosey with which ones would be my favorites; I HIGHLY recommend you buy both.  This is a classic example of how well Chuck writes ballads; he paints the entire story in 4 1/2 minutes.  Incredible.


4) Talkin' Yogi Talk - John McCutcheon

Yep we're back at the Cook Shack to listen to John spout some Yogi Berra wisdom, "so shut up and talk"


5) America's Favorite Pastime - Todd Snider

The playlist has two songs documenting the day Dock Ellis pitched a no hitter on LSD, here's Todd's version.  While Todd has a great page in Bandcamp, this song is on another label I guess to we're blessed with another great Music Fog video.  (twist my arms these are the best)


6) Baseball on the Radio - Willy Porter

(What no Sermon on the Mound as above... sorry it's not in Bandcamp or YouTube and I refuse to check Spotify)  Willy put this song out after the original airdate of the show, and it's wonderful


7) Curse of the Billy Goat - Chuck Brodsky

The Cubs fan in me appreciated Chuck documenting the history.  I'd rather listen to Chuck anyday before reading Wikipedia.. ha.


8) Go Cubs Go - Steve Goodman

I'm a HUGE Steve Goodman fan, plus I've been a Cub fan since 1970, no bandwagon jumping for me.  Steve of course died way too soon, and his ashes were either under home plate or scattered on Wrigley; I've heard both stories.


9) The Day I Played Baseball - Lost Forty (Brian Miller and Randy Gosa)

I'm not sure I've met a more intelligent music historian than Brian, and of course he found a great old, old song about learning how to play baseball.



10) Laughing River - Greg Brown

Hey, hey, hey... very surprised to see one CD in Bandcamp for Greg, but sadly not the one I wanted.  Here's a live video of the song:


11) Dock Ellis No-No - Chuck Brodsky

Edition two of the infamous no hitter.


12) A Dying Cub's Fan Last Request - Steve Goodman

We'll leave it at 12 songs and won't go extra innings.  The quality of the video isn't the greatest, but it's so cool to see Steve on a roof near the stadium.


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!