Dave's Music #51 Buddy you got the Time?


Leave it to new music and thinking about song writing relationships, because while I was listening to my new purchase of Tara Dente her song "Ain't No Time" caught my attention; and I reached for the phone and clicked it into a new playlist called Time.  Quickly another new purchase of Bo Ramsey gave me an instrumental call "In Time" and Saskia covered Dylan's "The Times they are a Changing."  Back at the computer and over 330 song titles had the word Time in the title.  Songwriters take serious note if you haven't written a song with time in the title get going.  I found I had a couple in my Prose Blog including one I wrote inspired by Barack Obama back in 2009.  "Not This Time"  It might have been glassy eyed optimistic, but it was genuine:

Inspired by words from Barack Obama
Prose by Dave Schipper © 2008 Rose Riversongs

Words cannot mend a broken country
Where men died for their freedom
And then looked past those in slavery.

Scars of past humiliation are real.
Wounds either overlooked or used
By both sides with too vile zeal.

Not this time, hear us cry, Not this time
Let’s silence the cynics
Be our brother’s keeper
Fix schools, homes and clinics
Hear us Cry, Not this Time, Not This Time

Promised words on a parchment
Helped focus our path to justice
But we the people are impatient.

Imperfect as we are, we are family.
Farmers, artists, statesmen, doctors
We can’t disown our community.

Yes this time, hear us cry, Yes this time
We can embrace our past
Without being a victim
And forge a peace at last

Hear us Cry, Yes this Time, Yes This Time 

Now back to some music... Oh my 330 songs without working hard, so there are 15 cuts in this playlist and somewhere we'll Time 2 Play it Again.

1) Comes a Time - Matthew & Jill Barber

If you don't start a playlist with a Dylan song, how about a Neil Young one sung by a couple of Canadians.

2) Ain't No Time - Tara Dente

The blog playlist inspiration, and I hope this song lures you into action like adding her to your God forbid Spotify favorites, or maybe just buy her music in Bandcamp.  


3) In Time - Bo Ramsey

Nice instrumental, some day the song "Wounded Dog" on this release with Mark Knopfler will make a playlist.


4) The Times They Are A Changing - Saskia

Wasn't sure if I really needed a cd with more Dylan covers but this one had Joan Baez covers too.  Then I previewed them and like this song the arrangements were fresh, and Saskia has a rounded English voice I don't hear enough; and has a lot of Baez in the qualities.


5) Time - Rachel Ries

Met this musician when she traveled to LaCrosse as a trio with Humbird and Hayley Sabella, I bought this on vinyl, lovely to see in Bandcamp.   That trio rocked, but I don't think they put out anything together; but did put out this Cover on Covers video, enjoy:


Fun that song also has Time as main part of the story... here's Time:


6) Time - Gabrielle Louise

I remember first happening across Gabrielle in MySpace, I was stunned that someone could be as beautiful as she was, and in time her gentle music has stayed a friend that shows up in a variety of playlists.  I still think she's beautiful in many more ways than those eyes and dimples, but put her in front of a mountain view and the hills come alive. 


7) Biding All My Time - Vivian Leva & Riley Calcagno

I'm biding my time until they say, Dave we're passing through LaCrosse WI again and would love to do a house concert with you at the Bluff View.  Viv and Riley make a second coming of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, where Viv's voice is a little more refined and Riley picks up multiple instruments.


8) Ain't Got Much Time - Kelly McRae

Amazing this is a 2012 release, and was the first release with Kelly's long time husband Matt Castleline.  Fitting to follow Viv & Riley, these two match styles though Matt has a wicked slide guitar while Riley has some top banjo chops.  Both Kelley and Viv voices make me close my eyes and just let it sink in.


9) Ain't Got Time - Dead Horses

This song had to be in my Time playlist, I've covered this live in our Lucky Dog gigs with Sue on vocals, but of course I don't have the chops to add the cool ending.  Sarah Vos's gospel blues voice rings loud in clear in this song, one of their best.


10) Central Time - Pokey LaFarge

Great change pace from this eclectic Midwestern boy, if you don't know Pokey... find him you'll love him for all of his rockabilly phases he goes through.  While Pokey has a tremendous Bandcamp library, I must have gotten this song in a different store or on CD.  You're lucky day this video rocks.


11)  By the Time it Gets Dark - Mary Black

While I have her studio song in my playlist, here's a legendary duo with Emmy Lou in the Transatlantic Sessions.  I'm sorry my romantic soul has come out in this playlist, but boy I wish I had the opportunity to grow old with either Mary or Emmy Lou singing in the living room.


12) Hard Times - Ira Wolf featuring Lee Henke

Another woman I had a chance to hear live in LaCrosse; the lanky and sweet lady charmed us in a rare winter storm in April.  She ended up having Lee Henke as a significant other, and they put out this hymn of cover of Gillian Welch.  I'm not sure where I bought the song, but here's the video. (mine doesn't have wind and waves, but this one is so rich and I'd love to see these two in concert)


13) Closing Time - Tom Waits

Ok a few classic Time songs come to mind, "Time in the Bottle" will be next one.


14) Borrowed Time - The Sapsuckers

Aren't we all living on borrowed time, and Nikki & Joe strut it with their classic harmonies, tasteful fiddle additions, and even a touch of banjo on this one.


15) Better Times Will Come Again - Janis Ian

Janis put out just one of the most favorably reviewed CD and this liberal seven minute ode to hope is on it.  Great way to end the playlist, and it's a great cd that will find it's way into more playlists.

Better times, better times will come.
Better times, better times will come.
When this world learns to live as one,
oh, better times will come

With an All Star cast jumping genre's to live as one

Andrea Zonn: Violin, BG vocals
Diane Schuur: Scat solo, BG vocals
Janis Ian: Lead vocals, rhythm guitars
Jeff Coffin: Soprano Saxophone
Jim Brock: Percussion
Jim Hoke: Clarinet, baritone saxophone
Jim Oblon: Electric guitars
John Cowan: Lead vocals, BG vocals
Maeve Gilchrist: Celtic lever harp
Roy Agee: Trombone, banjo
Sam Bush: Mandolin
Steven May/BreviT: Percussion, synthesizer
Viktor Krauss: Upright bass, resonator guitar, synthesizer, percussion
Vince Gill: Acoustic guitar solo


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!