Dave's Music #52 Jessica Malone - The Alley Avenue Sessions



In the middle of March, I was inspired to buy this release in Bandcamp and when I first started writing this blog post I was not exactly sure why.  I found she's good friends with Caitlin Jemma who I've booked at my house concert maybe a shared tour? I noted that I follow her on my little base of Twitter friends; but finally I found the
post in Instagram that I commented "Thanks for finding me today, I found you in Bandcamp" 



Yes a lesson for musicians, keep networking with me; you just might find out I'll buy your music and fall in love with it. Sometimes the decision to buy might be one song, a friendly face, or I just feel generous that day, but if I find myself returning to your songs and they become a background for life then I guess I'm hooked.  As she sings in "House With a Yard" life is easy until it gets hard; and choosing a release to review is more about it being easy by finding it hard not to stop listening.

After I solved the mystery, I reached out to her and asked if she wouldn't mind talking to me about life, music, this cd and she said YES.  I found out that she does find scrolling and clicking through common interests in Instagram relaxing and interesting while she has down time at the gym or coffee houses.  My profile listing House Concerts likely made the connection.  Ok she's made a lot of connections in Instagram and following over 4,000 people must be a hoot.

We found out how we know a couple mutual friends in Caitlin Jemma and Evie Ladin, and she's definitely going to introduce me to a few of her favorite friends that will soon be mine too.  Plus while she's way out in California, there is a chance with family in Des Moines she make a mid-west tour and a possible house concert. (Maybe with her new duo, more to follow) 

So let's move on to Jessica's soft yet bluesy voice and have her sing to you some stories from a recording made during the pandemic with a friend who owns the Alley Avenue recording studio.

1) No Matter What I Do

My inner romantic gypsy loves the premise of her writing a letter she never sent, and the vinyl lover in me loves the vinyl record skipping as she'll never find another lover like you again.  I can put myself my into this sad tune, and I just allow myself to drift with the string orchestration interlude which was all Giorgi Khokobashvili playing viola, cello and violin, and when the mix arrived via email it brought tears to Jessica.  I can relate.  Jessica says the song is pure unconditional love deep inside.


2) Crushed Velvet Heart

It starts with a simple guitar and fiddle setting, and then serves by some coffee as she wants to stay "right by you".  I do love how the violin answers her phrases.  I had to ask what the title means to her, and it's a "sweet sensitive heart that has been broken" and she insists the song isn't sad but paints a picture of building trust.

3) House With a Yard

Boy I love the harp intro and mood setting through out the song. This autobiographical song is a story that rolls out from 10 years ago when the singer was drunk and then dried up, and turned into someone else who learns life is easy until it gets hard.  Great contrast, well written, and she has a vision and happiness for the future in the middle of life not being easy.  

I did tell Jessica about my love of the harp in the song and she said knew that the stripped down recordings needed a balance and she could hear a sad harp and reached out to a friend Kat Fountain for help.  To may amazement, I was just gifted her release from David Enge a playlist supporter with the note, "Sometimes you need a little harp."

4) Mountainside 

Jessica picks up the tempo and mood and is ready to meet on the mountainside. We're allowed to join her a little light headed from the elevation, and again the fiddle is a sweet companion.  Since it was recorded during the pandemic many of the songs missed her deepest passion which is nature, this one makes up for it.


I'd love to walk along with her.

5) Long Year

The fiddle announces the begging to my favorite song of the release, and while it's been a short time knowing Jessica the song is a familiar friend.  And yes the declaration to the leaders of our nation, "What the hell is going on?"  The pandemic was obvious inspiration and satirically she calls it a "Vacation"  Truly if I make a list of top ten best Pandemic Theme songs, this one and say Humbird's "On the Day We Are Together Again" will be in the top part of the list.

6) Cobalt 

Jessica picks on her electric guitar reminiscing on a past love, and she brings out the question if she would have rolled the dice, what might have happened.  Being a romantic soul that plays life safe, I do wonder too how things would have changed if I too had rolled the dice.  She told me that a song inspired a woman to decide to roll the dice and tell someone that she loved them.  Sadly Jessica doesn't know how it turned out, maybe this blog post will bring them together.


Here she is playing the song.


Of so maybe six songs are closer to an EP, so let's ratchet it up with her whole band and this fun live video in a BIKE Shop which is a song on her other release but I haven't bought that yet. 


Then there is this little 20 minute mini concert with her fiddle player; and it features a few of the songs from this release.


I'm totally a new big fan of Jessica's and hope you take a good listen and become one too.  

Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!