Dave's Music #53 Sugar


Sugar is sweet, a harvest crop with a dark past, it's a sexual metaphor, and definitely a nickname used generally affectionately.  Sugarbabe by Evie Ladin and Sugar by Jenkins Twins came up in a random shuffle and quickly I had a new playlist and the library offered 20+ songs quickly with Sugar in the title.

So let's the sugar flowing for at least ten songs:

1) Sugarbabe - Evie Ladin Band

Oh I love how Evie's percussive genius Keith Terry that brings such a rich texture to this traditional song from Dock Boggs.  Keith leads globally the "International Body Music Festival" which I had no idea existed until I booked them for a house concert back in 2012 



2) Sugar - The Jenkins Twins

Close your eyes, is this the Jenkins Twins, the Cactus Blossoms or the Everly Brothers; just love this sound.


3) Sugar Daddy - Allison Sattinger

Allison was a main love during my Zemmy Show days, appearing a whopping 32 times in the blog, take a look.  Of course this 2006 release doesn't reside in Bandcamp, (I should ask her if she would allow me to put it up in the site for her, since I also created her Facebook Fan page She doesn't release new music but is very active creating and has picked up playing the harp.  This use of Sugar for rich daddy comes with a couple lines that always makes me pause, "I'll order room service and serve to you wearing just a smile" and "I hear you are rich enough to buy things that aren't free"  It is a sad song that has love & hope at it's core.  Allison is still a passionate soul as a mom and is active supporting the needy in her community.


4) Little Sugar Creek - Buffalo Gals Band

I bought this Austin TX release during my pandemic spending spree, and I love their sound.  Pretty sure there's no sugar in that creek, but it's a great adjective and makes for a great song.


5) Sugar Cane - Mary Gauthier

What incredible song writing, and so much makes you want to stop using sugar.  The power hungry hurting the environment where little children live, and come on give them Christmas eve off in the sugar factory.


6) Sugar - Phoebe Hunt

I think I have two different studio recordings and neither are in her Bandcamp page, BUT another Music Fog video treat this time with her talented sister Stephanie Hunt (who you might recognize from some movies too)  This song starts the more sexual metaphor of sugar.


7) Sugar in my Bowl - Miss Tess

Your choice if you want to hear her ask for a little sugar in her bowl from her original 2007 release or her parlor acoustic sessions.  Love the last verse where she also wants some steam on her clothes or that she can fix him up so it goes; oh my I'm blushing.



8) Sulpher to Sugarcane - Elvis Costello

I'm digging like a miner
North and South Carolina
And then if you continue
You will end up in Virginia
The woman in Poughkeepsie
Take their clothes off when they're tipsy
But in Albany, New York
They love the filthy way I talk

I can use my imagine if sugar has been a vaginal reference, the sulpher ain't far away, though Elvis is quoted that it means, ‘Sulphur To Sugarcane’ takes its title from two Louisiana towns and is written in the voice of a charming but disreputable political campaigner. He is the kind of reprehensible fellow who glad-hands the women and gooses all the men."  

I might have a sick mind... ha.  Meanwhile I love all the different lines he's used live and the fact that someone keeps track, read more. 


9) South Georgia Sugar Babe - Justin Townes Earle

JT is going South Georgia to find his sugar babe, and I bet there is more sex involved... ha; either way it's a great song that was released way back in 2008.  Remember that Good Music has No Expiration Date, it really just sits in a library somewhere until someone rediscovers it and loves it again.


Because I didn't become a fan until he died, I'm still discovering a deeper love for JT, and that goes along with watching rare videos of him perform.


10) Sugar Dyed Honey Pants - St. Paul & Broken Bones

Let's close it by leaving you grooving to sticky mess.


Or if you prefer a live video, this one rocks.


Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!