Dave's Music #56 Valleys


The Jenkins Twins six song EP has three songs featured in different playlists, so would it come as a surprise that another song showed up in my random play and I reached down to create ANOTHER playlist... this time VALLEYS.   Plus unlike many playlists I searched only the songs on my phone a very, very smaller list.  Oh my 11 songs on the phone alone, we have a playlist for the blog.  For perspective I have 34 Gig on my phone and 138 Gig in my computer music library, and searching Valley in the big library got 36 songs.

1) Red Lick Valley - The Jenkins Twins

It's the immediate list of things and the instant harmonies that grab you first, and then they start the story of raised on bluegrass in Red Lick Valley... yep I'm hooked on their music.


2) Valley of Tears - Gillian Welch

Gillian you don't need to go down to that valley, one can be happy though you sing sad so well.


3) Valley of Ashes - Vanessa Peters

Well if Gillian was avoiding it, Vanessa climbed right into it.

reaching for the bottle
to fill the empty glass
nausea up inside of me
I wait for it to pass

you say you're coming back this way
you won't say when
you say you're coming back
but I'm afraid to ask
I'm afraid to ask
I'm afraid and I'm

watching headlights coming round the bend
and I'm waiting for you to come around again
and now come back
to the valley of ashes
to the valley of ashes


4) The March of the Red River Valley - Dom Flemons

A little snare and Dom on the pan pipes... he's a hoot to watch playing them live.


5) Death Valley - Jim Craig

This song I imported off of a Jim Craig cassette is no where to be found on the internet; which is so surprising because it's a Woody Guthrie love song about two donkeys.  I might have to fix that and update this blog someday.

6) In the Valley - Luke Callen

Luke tells the story that this song was inspired by sleeping in his van waiting for the sunrise.

Manifesting destiny one morning awoke on Cali’s shore
To a big flashlight and somebody pounding on my passenger door
It chanced to be a police officer wondering where I’m from
And If i fail to show my drivers license he’ll have to draw his gun

He said go back to the valley that borned you
Go back to the valley you walk alone to
Cambria county don’t need one more broken man


7) Tecumseh Valley - Nanci Giffith

I didn't even try to find this classic on Bandcamp, and her cover of the Townes Van Zant song sung with Arlo Guthrie is one that always stops me to listen closely to the story.  Now that's a ballad for all time, and here's a video with her singing with Townes... incredible I didn't know it was out there.


8) Peace in the Valley - Gillian Welch

Her 2nd song from the same Boot release, not the spiritual one.


9) The Valley - K.D. Lang

What intrigues me most about this song, is why it's on my phone's music.  Ha. It is a Jane Siberry song which a Canadian singer that I'm not familiar with but appears to be an award winning torch singer.


10) Squirrelly Valley 2-Step - Peter & Lou Berryman

Oh yea hey, get me a beer once, what a change up for this playlist; but there is no other couple like Peter & Lou.


11) Peace in the Valley - Johnny Cash from San Quentin with the the Carter family and the Statler Brothers.

Lots of versions of this song out there, this one is one of the very best.


Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!