Dave's Music #64 Numbers (When I'm 64)

 


I looked ahead and said, "Oh my the Monday post will happen on birthday when I turn 64 and there is a playlist in that!" 

So here we go.

1) When I'm 64 - Ryan Oyer

It was tough I found Ryan by search Bandcamp for the song, and while I'm amazed at the stunning level of terrible covers in their site, Ryan's is absolutely outstanding.  

Pretty sure I will buy more of him along the line and love the fact he did this for his father when he turned 64.


2) Highway 87 - Corb Lund (covering Hayes Carll)

I got an email from New West telling me about this release, and instantly knew I need to buy it; though I wasn't happy that they didn't say within Bandcamp who wrote each song.  I've sent them a note, I hope they fix that, but later I did find this page that told me.  The release is going to be a favorite and might show up in a release post.


3) Ol'55 - Tom Waits

Of course for this song I like the original more than the Eagles cover.  While he has a bandcamp page, this song isn't in there, but this live cut with the story behind it is awesome.


4) 20 Years - The Civil Wars

I'll say it likely again, I miss these two making music together.  A sound so raw and Joy's slow erotic moves as she sang, just sacrilegious that this was filmed in a chapel.


5) Two of Us - The Beatles

Covered this song for years in Rose River, and I think in retirement there will be a re-watching of the Beatles documentary that this little rehearsal is taken from.


6) 20 or So - Greg Brown

Put old winter in the closet, she wears too many clothes... maybe there were only 10 or so lovers?  Greg waxes poetically and one thinks he's either spoofing or complimenting Bob Dylan with his "May your car always start."  This is in one of my favorite songs.


7) Best Year 2015 - Callaghan

I bought or downloaded free from her back in 2015 and when I went look for something to share to listen to I found this link in Paste and now I have more of her in the library.  I also had Smile in my playlist originally because it was release on an EP 40 State and Counting.  If you click on the picture, you go to her website and you can preview the songs and join her newsletter and get FIVE Free songs, including this one.  Of course her site allows you to listen on that evil Spotify, I do wish she was in Bandcamp, because I fell in love with her again when I watched the video.  






8) Comatose at 2:33 - Erik Kjelland

Erik got into the Great River Folk Fest contest with this song, I still love it; and now he has a groovy video too.



9) Alabama 1959 - Pierce Pettis

Love this song, it paints such a story gracefully and I don't believe I've heard this story until I looked it up for the blog post.  Pierce is an outstanding songwriter.


10) 24 Frames - Jason Isbell

Yes my library has some of the recent famous people too, and I will be buying his live record in Bandcamp that has this song, until then you get to see him live boy 2016... I guess that's when I bought it time flies and #GoodMusicHasNoExpirationDate


11) Days of '49 - Spider John Koerner

I love the percussion in this song that was in a Nod to Bob Vol 2 that Red House Records put out.   I thought it was Traditional and I guess it was written or collected by the Lomax's per Wiki on the Self Portrait record (I guess I need that one yet)


12) 25 to Life - The Stray Birds

Ok why I bought this song in 2014 from iTunes is beyond my recollection, I can just tell you I found them in Bandcamp and I'm going to remember future purchases.


13) 7 Miles Wide - Sofia Talvik

This song came on in the car and Lori said, "Sofia is such a pretty woman, who is she singing with?"  Yes and it's Pontus Borg.


14) Twenty-Five - Lauren Pratt

Lauren is a recent new artist for me, more songs like these and I'll be buying and sharing more of her.  


I couldn't find her on FB and her website is down, I did find this video


15) 10 Rocks - Shelby Lynne

Boy I've always loved this song, right she's not on Bandcamp but I found this great video.  I've never seen her live until now.


16) Louisiana 1927 - Andreas Transo (Randy Newman cover)

A local singer put a bootleg cd out that I have, and it's a great cover of the maestro; so let's listen to him live.


17) 90 Miles (The Tennessee Song) - The Honeycutters

Right again I'm not sure why this 2012 song is in the library, and I'm glad their early releases are in Bandcamp because I can restart following them.  I loved the lyric story of the song, so here it is to sing along with:
90 Miles from Nashville, on the Memphis side
the river’s filling up and the trucks are blind
They say it don’t come easy, so I’m not surprised to find
you don’t get much for putting in your time
Honey, you’re the rock, so I play the star
but I’m nothing if nothing’s what they see
so you can build me up or you can break my heart
and my father’s child is all I’ll ever be
Baby when the tide rolls in, I’ll be leaving on that morning train
you won’t even know I wrote this song for you
All across the state of Tennessee, I can hear you calling me
but my hands are tied and there’s nothing I can do
They teach you not to bite
on the hand that feeds,
but when you’re starving, Lord, sometimes you just don’t know
If the hand is soft, and the eyes are sweet
and they say a ring means nothing on the road

credits




18) Highway 84 - Jane Fallon

Another singer I met in the Great River Folk Fest Songwriter Contest, her notes on the song:
Highway 84: Written after the Virginia Tech killings, on my way to
pick up my son from college, this is a song of sympathy, personal healing, and thankfulness.

lyrics




19) Around 9 - Sarah Borges & Broken Singles

I can meet her around 9 anytime.


20) Eight is Midnight - Rose River

I'll leave you with my co-write with Tim Kolek while we were in cover band Rose River for 10 years.  The lyric started out as fun song that put song titles through out all the lyric.  It wasn't going anywhere until Tim reframed it and put the melody to it.  Tim, Paula, and I take turns on the verses and Shelly wrote that great flute part.  It was definitely one we shared almost every gig to a point where people probably thought it was a cover.  For fun I highlighted all the song names in the lyric.

Tim tells his sad tale to some bad scotch
Margaritaville, is all Dave’s got
Paula has a 5 O’clock blonde attitude
So crank up the sound and get in the mood

Chorus
Follow the Mississippi moon shadow
Down Little Creek Road for dancing tonight
There’s a keg of the king so get down low
We’ll push back the clock, so eight is midnight

Adeline is fine for sweet cherry wine
But Sue’s on the edge cause it’s quittin time
We’ll drink Lynnie’s Lakewood Blues and be
Back to the keg king and good company

Chorus

Our Ramblin Boy stops by with a friend
With guitar in hand and songs he penned.
So turn down the sound, and grab a chair
He’ll paint you a dream and take you there



Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!