Dave's Music #65 - Vivian Leva & Riley Calcagno (self titled)


Vivian Leva & Riley Calcagno are a wonderful duo that has graced DBT a few times, and will more I'm sure.  Let's see I've said all these glowing things.

"I'm biding my time until they say, Dave we're passing through LaCrosse WI again and would love to do a house concert with you at the Bluff View.  Viv and Riley make a second coming of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, where Viv's voice is a little more refined and Riley picks up multiple instruments."

"I know there are so many to pick from, but it was just Riley Calcagno's birthday, so about a shout for my recent favorite country folk duo.  Vivian Leva and Riley Calcagno are a fast rising duo that played down at the Root Note on a Thursday night, and they are friends with our local awesome head of the acoustic department down at Dave's Guitar Shop, Josh Rabie.  I'm hoping that friendship brings them back to town."

"They released a fantastic CD and many times you can close your eyes and think they could be Gillian Welch and David Rawlings."

So I would make perfect sense that I would dive deep into their recording release just barely a year ago; but then they shared that the release won Best Modern Roots/Revival recording of 2021 in Indie Acoustic Project.  It was speaking to me, Dave pick them next though I promise not to constantly compare them to Welch/Rawlings... it might get old though it's true.



1) Will You

I've read where Viv and Riley perfected these songs from a distance as she finished college, and many songs reflect that relational longing for each other and the first song sets the tone.  Love the hints of antique lead guitar, and I almost go wow they have the best song first, so if you don't like it stop now.


Now I have to share their video because it's more stripped down to just two voices and two guitars, and Riley's guitar work is on display.  I could add one more popular comparison that Viv has always reminded of Sarah Jarosz and while I have huge respect for Sarah, I think Viv's writing and singing is more my style.



2) Leaving On Our Minds

I would never want to imagine splitting up this beautiful mix of people, though they imagine it in the song.  Riley's fiddle is perfect, and the harmonies on the chorus is impeccable. 


3) Hallowed Hearts 

Slow it down and take her hand, she'll pull you in.  The pedal steel is introduced like a slow cello in the background.


4) On the Line 

Riley's frailing banjo is top notch on another sad ballad; it gets you to want to kick all these guys that Viv writes about right in the keister.  Though they are talking about their day, so everything is fine?


When there is a good video of the song, I'm going to share it.. dang, I so want to host these two in a house concert.


5) Red Hen 

Love the guitar work in this song, and the lady is not the most respected one, but she is walking with her head high.  They even find a beautiful piano to add to the guitar.


6) Biding All My Time

This song would have felt at home on Viv's first LP, and would make you think it's a cover of a vintage country song.


The sound quality kind of sucks on this video, but everything else is so rich in beauty, love the room, candles, the singing, the guitar work and of course the dog.


7) Love and Chains 

Riley takes lead vocal, but it tastefully moves to a duet. Yes another textured relationship song, yes my only knock on the LP was it needed a good murder song or a fun song about a hound dog, boots, or farm fields.


If it was Red Dirt that helped fund these great videos, I owe them following all their artists.  It did validate my suspicion that Riley was on a fine vintage electric guitar.


8) On Account of You

Pick up the fiddle and the tempo on a song you would sure is traditional, and it just shows their adoption of all great styles.


Again the sound is weak, and live they are a touch faster than the cd.  Love to watch how steady and cool Viv is, while Riley is moving around and catching a smile around the place.


9) My Teardrops Say

Oh my the producer knew when to bring out the snap on the drum kit and moanful pedal steel.


10) You Don't See Me

If another relationship song isn't on your list, you then would be missing the new texture of this song.  Longing with a heart beat.


11) Good and Gone

Definitely written with thoughts of the miles on the road and music in your soul.


And we're back at the Barn at Riverdog.. ok I waited until the last song... start this video up, close your eyes and isn't that Gillian Welch & David Rawlings 2.0?


Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!