Dave's Music #69 May's Bandcamp Favorites


With the world getting back to normal and Bandcamp now under new ownership, May's Bandcamp Friday might have been their last one, so I thought I would be nice to document ten songs I bought that day that I will love forever.  Not in any order, just the order I found them in the library, and it started at a goal of ten and done, but I had to go to SIXTEEN to cover my significant favorites from the day.  

1) Halfway to Houston - Alicia Stockman

Thanks to my avid reader David Enge for gifting me this for my retirement and the blog, and this song just fits my love of a story.


2) The Little Carpenter - JP Harris

I found this JP on the label Free Dirt that promotes one of my favorite groups Vivian Leva & Riley Calcagno and I spent time on their home page and bought most of their artists.  JP has that rich mountain voice and traditional instrumentation while sounding new and polished.  The whole release might get a review in the future.



3) Sweet Little Girl - Kelsey Waldon

I really expected to be buying a pre-order of Kelsey's new release, but they only had this great song out there.  Always got to watch trucks go by on the interstate.


4) Carpenter's Son - Ryan Oyer

Tasteful throw back to a folk ballad.


5) When I Die - The Stray Birds

I already shared Sabrina in Edition #68, so who can't love harmony starting a song where you get a great ending of life, "bury my body in my blue jeans"


6) Cherry Licorice - The Felice Brothers

Rhyming Licorice with Ridiculous got my attention in this up beat song.  The sampler CD is perfect mix of songs I didn't own of some pretty famous musicians.


7) Cowgirl in the Sand - Kandle & Kendel Carson

I'm a deep Kendel Carson fan, and her fiddle and vocal skills are top notch on this cover.


8) Never Walking Out - Ash & Eric

Love a good story, and Ash & Eric gives you a happy ending.


9) The Wild & the Untamed - Fellow Pynins

Love the harmony and frailing banjo up front on this look at a couple in love.


10) Peter Pan - James McMurtry

Never understand the marketing strategy of just puttin one song out in bandcamp from a 2020 release, but I bought it because it's from the master storyteller.


11) Water - Peter Mayer

Peter's music always makes my soul happy.


12) Poison (stripped) - Sarah King

Sarah King comes from a recommendation from Carol Roth, and I need more of her type of poison in my life.


13) Just Be - Taylor Rae

Taylor comes from a recommendation from Kathy Mattea who in a Facebook post said Taylor who is opening for her is the next Bonnie Raitt.  I'll take that anytime.


14) My Mother's Hand - Jill Barber

When my one of my favorite Canadien voices releases a story song for Mother's Day, I buy it and instantly fall in love with it.  It has such a soft gentle guitar work, kind of a Harry Chapin style of story writing.


15) Wasting Time - Karyn Ann

Karyn Ann wasn't wasting time submitting music to the Great River Folk Fest Contest, she won a new fan.


16) Career Advice - Mike Ward 

I did work 37 and I agree with Mike to be successful, "Don't be a Dick"  Yes this was another GRFF contest post and his and Karyn's videos were highlighted for the first week's submissions in this blog post.


Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!