Dave's Music #77 High School Days

 


Hitting episode #76 made me nostalgic because I graduated in 1976.  So I used the Smart Playlist feature in Apple Music to pick 25 random songs from 1975-77 and it made this great list.  Keep in mind not all my vinyl has been imported and many of these great tunes came to me after 1977, but it's such a fun snapshot of that era to me that I wanted to share it.  You know the blog is all about #MusicHasNoExpirationDate if you ever share old music somewhere, please use this hash tag.

I'm not even going to look in Bandcamp and if we can't get a YouTube video, I'll just document the song and move on.  YES if you move to the bottom you will find a link to a playlist that will play them all in order.

Here's the list we're working on:











1) The Only Child - Jackson Browne

The Pretender is one of my favorite Browne records after Late for the Sky.


2) How Can I keep from Singing - John McCutcheon

To my amazement I later found this in an ELCA hymnal with slightly different words.


3) That's the Way that Love Goes - Willie Nelson

Had this in my youth maybe taped from a borrow library record, just bought it on Discogs and got it into the library, scratches and all.



4) Walk on the Water - Jim Post

Saw Jim do this live, what a hoot... be warned it's 9 minutes long.


5)  Let it Ride - Dick Feller

Ok instead of letting it ride that I can't find this, I did wonder why I had him in my library and what was up with him.  Well he, or should I say she is still alive, check this out.   Glad she's loving life.  There is a video of a whole LP, let's give you one song because Deena Kaye Rose appears in this list twice.


6) Slat Key Soquel Rag - The Doobie Brothers

Stampede has to be my top favorite Doobie record and it shows up a lot in this playlist.  I was tickled pink to see that had a video out there doing this acoustic piece live.  Incredible.


7) Rainy Day Crossroad Blues - The Doobie Brothers

Wow... another concert clip... incredible.  Love to see it still show up in a set list in 2013 reunion tour.  When Tom Johnson had health issues and they added Michael McDonald, I lost interest.


8) Billy Gray - Norman Blake

It didn't take me long out of high school to go more folky and Norman got on my playlists soon.  Loved another live cut, dang I'm getting lucky.


9) Don't it make you want to Dance - Jerry Jeff Walker

Jinxed... just as I wrote that the live song from Jerry is only an audio video.


10) My Grandfather's Clock - Bill Staines

I learned to play this old traditional song listening to the legend.


To my surprise I did put up a video with my playing the instrumental, maybe someday I'll go back and record it better.


11) Bless my Soul (sweet winds)  - Rich Kirby & Michael Kline

This was actually a cover of a Bill Staines song that he never released until he did a kid song CD; I wish I would have asked him why.


12) The Sweetest Gift - Linda Ronstadt 

Sure wish I was in the front row for this concert.


13) Silver Blue - Linda Ronstadt

Yep not surprising that Linda appears twice randomly... love her and the author of the song JD Souther.


14) On the Road Again - Don Lange

Dang... the only reason I get a chance to share this is that Don re-released it later.  I could do a whole blog about the great songs Don has in my memory banks.


15) What's Goin' On - Al Stewart

So cool I had a chance to see Al in Green Bay... he's still working hard and has pretty much the same sound.


I'm going to end it here... 15 songs is a lot to listen to.  Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

Oh the playlist I promised for a one click listen:





The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!