Dave's Music #80 Lucky Dog Parodies +


Now that I'm retired I found myself saying yes to adding my songs to Dan Bergers Songwriter Corner now being held at Leo & Leona's on this last Wednesday.  Two songs is a small set so I figured a parody (who else really writes them) and a quick moving follow up.  I have written a few parodies and it all started because Toby our first orange tabby would love to go outside and then inside, and that line fit nicely into Dylan's verse


Take me on a trip upon your magic swirling ship
My senses have been stripped
My hands can't feel to grip
My toes too numb to step
Wait only for my boot heels to be wandering
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade
Cast your dancing spell my way, I promise to go under it

Parody:
Now take this catnip for your
magic swirlin' trip,
Your senses will be slipped, your paws won't feel to grip,
Your tail will attack, daring you to be pouncing
You’re ready to go outside,
Your ready to come in
To go out, to come in, to go out and come in
And then back out again.


Now this is fun, but I think the best one I wrote was during the pandemic to laugh at our puppet president, Isolation Row.  I haven't recorded it but it so fits Dylan's song. Writing these might be thought of as easy and maybe to some it is, but they are kind of challenging to really get the satire right.  Plus how many to you hear?  So here was my first and probably best parody, and YES Toby was just a bit smarter than my current favorite Hobbes.

You can buy and stream this on Bandcamp:


Of course knowing me I came back and gave it a better Dylanesque whine.


One might chagrin that YouTube leaves all the videos up, even this incredible parody again Cat relate.... come on Dave fill those dang bowls because it's Time to Eat Again.  Really I hadn't watched this in ages and it made it me laugh.. I'll have to learn it... I talk about my 18 lb cat, my Willy the Hut... and now I have an 28 Lb Hobbes.


I wrote another cat parody song that is NOT in my range and I'd love someone to cover. Click on the picture to read the whole song.













I did a little Woody Guthrie stealing for My Page is My Page. and again not recorded it died like MySpace.

This page is my page, visit me on MySpace
Read my corny blogs, and new pics blander
View my deadwood friends, and my top band pictures
MySpace was made for you and me.

My most recent parody took on my other favorite 70's writer and favorite song moved to a social media twist again.. All My Life's a Circle by Harry Chapin became All My Life's a Timeline.  I'm pretty sure Harry would chuckle at it.


What finally inspired wanting to make this my Saturday post was the song I shared during the songwriter song swap.. "To feel the Likes" the parody of "To Make you feel my Love".  First you should know that after Randy Sabien told a joke that all love songs are either Stalker or Whiner songs I started to pay more attention and twisted a few for even more meaning.. Click here.

Though my favorite subject is social media, some say I take to extremes.  I do that to help market people and bands, but I did tell Jessie McDonald that I tagged her so much I thought she would be bruised.  Plus, I love to share with her and others meme's targeted to make them smile.  Shit, why not.. people should smile and relax a little, life it hard.. so here's the evolution of my parody.

My song:


Sofia Talvik's singing (and she added keys)


Sofia might not be as well known as Adele to get to cover my song, but here's an original of hers, she's damn good


Then I shnookered Holly Clausius 


She is so talented, check out her most recent video:

2nd update:  Now I have a hope for a 3rd cover of the song when I heard The Burney Sisters cover the original.   That would be special because at such a young age I bet they hate Facebook and only Tik Tok if anything.


Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

1st Bonus addition:
After I posted this I completely forgot about my parody of Janis Ian's song "Mary's Eyes" that she wrote from Mary Black, and I changed enough words to make it for "Lady Mary in Downton Abbey".  I see I don't have it Bandcamp, maybe because I wonder if it's enough of a parody to have the licensing fee mine.  I have a huge crush on Michelle Dockery's character and she has inspired a few writings and songs (Lyrics here); to me it's those dark eyes.

I did submit it to NPR's Tiny Desk contest.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!