Dave's Music #86 Introducing Caludo

 


I normally make these posts about published music you can buy somewhere, but one of my favorite groups do not have studio released music yet, but they are working on it.  Caludo a three piece group that I met originally in the Great River Folk Fest Songwriting contest.  Ten days into the contest of 2021, we already had some awesome submissions and then this one came in from Switzerland, wow.  I immediately jokingly told them that we didn't pay for mileage if they win and we book them for the fest.  The fiddle player, Catie Jo told me, don't worry I have family in the Twin Cities and we would make a minnie tour out of it.  Well they made the finals but not the top three, and this week they put together a little tour of spots in MN and WI, that they called their MiNi tour.  I would have hosted a house concert, but was worried Wednesday might not draw as well as the Trempealeau Hotel and then people I didn't know would also get a random shot to see them.  The post's main picture came from the next day as we sweated and hiked up Brady's Bluff in Perrot State Park.  Great time, and I find Catie Jo has my problem, her and I both fill quiet voids with constant conversation.  Loved every minute of it.  So let's get to some music.

Here's their first video submitted that made us go, wow... these people are good.


And if that wasn't magical enough their next submission was "Magic".  I had no doubt at this point they would be in the finals and that they were not only great musicians but fun to hang around.  I commented on the video it's a new favorite... now it's a favorite I'm waiting to own some day in studio format.


Stefan wrote their next submission and the videography of this is incredible in an Italian restaurant, and the inspiration and evolution of the song was really interesting that I learned in an interview I had with them in the finals round.  (yes it will be in this blog)


Another submission was a murder ballad where Catie Jo runs over the failed lover in the 3rd verse.  Don't worry she confided in me on their visit that her 2nd song she wrote was a murder ballad at I believe 9 or 11 years old.  Raise your children around folk music and they've heard about murder in songs, and tend to write about it and NOT act out the feelings.   A much better societal release, maybe we should have more folk music and less guns in the world.


Vincent admits that he doesn't write as prolifically as Stefan and Catie Jo, but he's got some chops and speaks fluently in only five languages.  Their arrangements are impeccable. 


I forgot to test the theory that if you say "HEY" to Catie Jo she jumps like in this video.  Top notch picking and fiddling in this piece.


Catie Jo says the band is right for her ADHD traits, just when you when you think you have a style of music they switch to another.  This one harkens back to early Beatles, while the title "Expositional" is a fun big word how this relationship song shows the world what others will be like too.


They recently added a harp friend to a song, such a nice waltz.


While they have a great video of "Arrival", here's one I took from the Trempealeau Hotel.


And if you ever have listened to music at the hotel, you know you will see some trains along the Mississippi; Caludo quickly switched to some stringband jamming.. it was fun, just had to share it:


I knew after talking to them during the finals round, that I would love to hang with them and walk up an equivalent 30 story building in hot humid weather.  Good people, fantastic musicians.



And finally to give you a one click experience of this blog... here's a playlist of the videos included above.


A quick update for another time I had a chance to see them before they returned to Switzerland.  Caludo's MiNi tour brought them back to within 30 minutes of home, so I had to make another trip to see them. This time with Sprig of That, who I had never seen yet. They did not disappoint, and I taped snippets of four songs, and the finale, but the finale video failed for not enough light. This video includes a song Stefan wrote about home, a wonderful instrumental with Krissy from Sprig of That, and Caludo's finale that was an a cappella that Catie Jo put to a melody. I'm looking forward to them releasing a video or album with that song on it. Here's nine minutes of joy.


Hope you loved the journey! You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!