Dave's Music #92 Trains Vol. 1

 


After I posted a video of me playing with my nephew's son and the wooden train set, avid reader of the blog David Enge said..."A playlist"... Oh my I have so many train songs without even going to the vinyl for some precious ones.  A simple "Train" search wouldn't even pick up the best train song per John Prine, "City of New Orleans"  I picked ten favorites to kick it off:

1) Eve Boards a Train - Humbird 

Siri  like to announce this song is if Eve would just say "Fuck it and takes off on a train from Eden"... Is she the legend that is blamed?


So cool there is a live version of the song in YouTube with the full band, and Pat and Pete show off how smooth they are to Siri's songs (first song on the playlist link at the end), but buy it in Bandcamp if you like it.


2) Get On The Train - Annie Mack

Keeping it with Twin Cities artist, Annie picks up the pace; get on the train and don't look back.  Ok maybe I shouldn't stop at ten stops.. ha.


The video has TWO songs, but the first one is the train song... listen to them both; she's awesome and I saw her live at the Great River Folk Fest.


3) Morning Train - Nanci Griffith

Oh boy, I love this video so much.  I miss Nanci, she another musician like Emmy Lou that I would have left my wife for... Ha.. don't tell her she doesn't read this blog.  Over the years I'm glad we had a chance to see her up at the Big Top.


4) Play a Train Song - Todd Snider

The master story teller weaves the request to play a train song into this guy we've all seen at a concert at times.  When Christian Staehly and Pat Ferguson covered this song at our house concert, Sue Mitchell shrieked and put an extra $20 in the tip jar.  Luckily we didn't hear the song 4 more times that night.  Ha.


Of course live is where Todd is the finest and his introduction will have you laughing.


5) The Train - The Roches

Another great story and this time it's in a commuter train with the beautiful stylings of the Roche sisters.  I guess this a perfect time to also pause and mention that Good #MusicHasNoExpirationDate and so many times outlives the authors like great novels.  Maggie Roche as noted in the video died in 2017 while Terre and Suzzy live on and likely still sing beautifully.  This blog already had departed artist Nanci Griffith and will have more that's my life having a library filled with great music starting many times in the 60 & 70's.


6) Night Train - Amos Lee 

Another commuter train story from a modern balladeer,  this time from the engineer's perspective.  He's not in Bandcamp, but I found this beautiful voice who covered the song; so I bought it.


And of course if I can find a live cut, I will.  Boy Amos is great, thank you Austin City Limits too.  New song and it's a 2008 video, so it's just ripe?  ;-)


7) Ride that Train - Miss Tess

Miss Tess and Thomas Bryan Eaton's Parlor Sounds has shown up a few times in this blog, and it's my favorite way to listen to her music; BUT this song rocks and there are a few videos out there with her band.  YES, Miss Tess has Thomas to fill in leads but this song always she has some chops too.  The Folk Alley one is the cleanest sound, and they are a great radio station if your library is thinner than mine.




8) Wrong Train - Jeff Talmadge

When I searched my library I saw this title and said to myself oh my I love that song.  Another story song gentle and at times hopeful.  I should really look into buying more of Jeff for the library, I've always been accused of booking young women or old guys to the house concert series.  Maybe he'll aged into the later category and we could book him someday.


9) I've Been to Georgia on a Fast Train - Billy Joe Shaver

While my playlist I'm listening to is the song I imported vinyl that I then turned around and sold because it was more valuable to others than me.... the music is sweet though and SAVED.  Another person playing in the heavenly band.


10) Morning Train - John Prine

I started this blog talking about John describing Steve Goodman's song, so why not end this first volume of train songs with one of his stories.  YES Oh Boy Records has a great collection of John's music in Bandcamp; BUY IT.


Here's a fan post of the song that does have nice pictures of John.


As promised here's a one click YouTube playlist of the videos included in the blog post.


Hope you loved the journey! You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!