Dave's Music #94 Trains Vol 2

 


I really didn't think I would do the 2nd volume so quick but when Kevin Nordlie posted a comment of a train song that didn't have train in the title; I both loved it and said yes let's buy it and keep it going.

1) Keep Your Lantern Lit - Kipyn Martin

While the video got me to go back to Apple Music rather than Bandcamp to buy the song... the video is from 2018 while the song is still so important to her she has a T-Shirt available with the title, and it gave me the idea for that being the post art.


You know me I'll find out more about this woman along the way.

2) City of New Orleans... you pick your favorite, mine is still the writer Steve Goodman

Ok my playlist has a rare unreleased recording of Clay Riness recorded at my house concert, but let's be honest I probably have 4 other people covering Steve's great song that John Prine said was the best train song.  I'm sharing a really old Steve video, he looks like such a pup.  The video had one of the best write ups too:

"City of New Orleans" is a folk song written by Steve Goodman (and first recorded for Goodman's self-titled 1971 album), describing a train ride from Chicago to New Orleans via the Illinois Central Railroad in bittersweet and nostalgic terms. Goodman got the idea while traveling on the eponymous train for a visit to his wife's family. He performed the song for Arlo Guthrie in the Quiet Knight, a bar in Chicago, and Guthrie agreed to add it to his repertoire. The song was a hit for Guthrie on his 1972 album Hobo's Lullaby, and is now more closely associated with him, although Goodman performed it until his death in 1984. The song has also been covered by Willie Nelson, John Denver, Johnny Cash, The Country Gentlemen, Judy Collins, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Sammi Smith, Hank Snow, Gerard Cox, Rudi Carell, Joe Dassin, Richard Clayderman and others. Steve Goodman won a posthumous Grammy Award for Best Country Song at the 27th Grammy Awards in 1985 for Willie Nelson's version, which was included on his 1984 album of the same name. It reached #1 on both the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart in the United States and the RPM Country Tracks chart in Canada


3) Folsom Prison - Brandi Carlile

Well maybe I might have ripped my song from an Austin City Limits show, but Brandi has multiple YouTube videos out there to share of this infamous Johnny Cash song.


4) Orange Blossom Special - Mark O'Conner

Again this classic song is out there and yes I do have the vinyl from Johnny's original release.  Mark's studio piece is a medley of songs... nice to sometimes just have a great instrumental song in the mix.


5) Goodnight Train - Roger Nelson

A cd I bought from Jack Wallace (Dustin's Suzuki Piano teacher) when he left town was an excellent folk singer who lives in Rochester MN who also had Jack teach his kids.  Someday I'm sure we'll meet, until then I'll keep enjoying his music when it pops up in a playlist.  It's a great midwest life song about working in the rural farm area.  Sorry I could only find it for you on a weird streamable link.

Half past nine, the train goes by
And shakes the glasses on the shelves
And the porch swing rocks,
the floorboards creak
But you can't quite hear what the noises tell
It just feels like you could
ride that train to bed
If you could only clear your head
In silent resolution, but instead, it's
Goodnight moon, goodnight rain
Goodnight barges on the river,
Goodnight train
Goodnight love's slow refrain
And we donate to tomorrow the remains
Goodnight bills, goodnight cars
Goodnight appointments and repairs and
Goodnight scars
Goodnight moon, goodnight rain
Goodnight barges on the river
Goodnight train


6) Midnight Train - Darden Smith

Darden came to me as a recommendation in a comment on the Facebook page during the pandemic when I was looking to buy new music with my stimulus check.


Love the fact that someone posted this old live video:


7) Gospel Train - Front Country

Still bummed that the pandemic cancelled their trip to LaCrosse to play for the Great River Folk Fest.  They are a special groove to what some might call bluegrass, I think it's more bluerockgrass!


Live like this... oh my sad again for missing them.


8) Train House - Siena Christie

Siena has made our lists before, and it's because I love her writing and this little EP released in during the pandemic is always a go to with some of my favorite songs.  Yes she will be staying at my house when she plays the Great River Folk Fest August 27th as she was the Songwriter winner from 2021.  She was also a Kerrville new folk finalist as well as this year's Rocky Mountain finalist.  All points to others having great taste in her songwriting skills.  Sorry no video of the song is available, but she's got a few gems out there, check her out.


9) Train Train - Von Stomper

I had to check if I had a way to share this song from a band that no longer exists, but my love for Luke Callen's music made me search out a cd from this group.  Sounds like they were having a good old time recording this rockabilly song.


10) Crossroads - Bill Poss

Bill is the founder of the Moccasin Creek Fest, and a fine songwriter.  This one he brought to my attention that it was a co-write with Slaid Cleeves.  I bought a stripped down version that he said was recorded in Fred Eaglesmith's studio with a single microphone.


Here's a one click YouTube Playlist for the 8 of the above songs.


Until Volume 3 this train is down the track and I hope you loved the journey! You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!