Dave's Music #111 Americana Fest


With Americana Fest going on in Nashville, plus I watched a portion of Americana Honors & Awards; at least the part where Brandi Carlile introduces the Indigo Girls and I loved how she asked what Americana is, and joked, "Country music for the left minded"... that made me laugh and I find a little truth to that.  So why not celebrate a little Americana Fest Dave style.

1) Where Honest Men Reside  - J. Jeffrey Messerole

How about starting it off with a person I just met Thursday at the Trempealeau Hotel.  I picked up this cd, and he's a great opening act from Iowa.


Here's a stripped down version on a video.



I got a charge out of finding that Kathryn Severing-Fox is on fiddle, and I just made friends with her up at the Storyhill Fest.  Of course I teased her that she is the best (and only) fiddle player I know in Iowa, to which she responded, "She loved recording that album"

2) Bluebird - Stone & Snow

I love to follow a solo male voice with a great duo; and of course we know how much I love Stone & Snow being this their seventh appearance in the blog.  I wanted to highlight this song, and was so glad I got a great video too.



3) Joyful Motherfuckers - Allison Russell

Yes my fest is fine with real taking people, especially if Grandma is in the story.



4) Down and Out - Chad Elliott of the Weary Ramblers

Let's got back to Iowa, where we find Chad a little down and out with Bo Ramsey tastefully adding his companion electric guitar walking along with him.

Sorry no Bandcamp link for Chad yet, but I did buy the CD from him at Storyhill Fest.


5) No Difference - The Burney Sisters

I say get these ladies on your line up before they get so big you can't afford them.  I don't own this song because it hasn't been released yet and there is no doubt I'll buy it once it's released.


6) Chippewa Boots - Willy Porter & Carmen Nickerson

Willy is another Midwest gem, and I love him with Carmen; they really capture the old Civil Wars if John Paul was a better guitarist.  Ha.




7) Heavy Train - Little Miss Higgins

Hey Americana includes blues and Canada too... bring on Little Miss Higgins




8) Statistician's Blues - Todd Snider

Ok last three are the headliners... give it up for the master storyteller 100% of the time.



9) Take Me In - The War and Treaty

We need a little gospel singing for the fest and these two pack such a strong passion.



10) Raise Hell - Brandi Carlile 

It sucks that only one older album is out in Bandcamp for Brandi, so while I own this a different way all I can share this with you is a YouTube video, so how about an intimate acoustic one.


I hope you liked the line up and come back time near.... heck money is no problem; we can keep this up even every weekend.  Here's the one click YouTube playlist.


You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here


UPDATE Monday Sep 19th...

After this was shared my friend Carol Roth, who is also one of the founders of Adventures in Americana,  decided to follow suit and create a Carol Fest (at least in a YouTube playlist) and it's wonderful.  I'm already following new musicians and will buy some of their music along the line and include them in the blog.  Yes while there are new voices to me, there are also a lot of friends who has shown up in the blog already including Luke Callen, Sapsuckers, Charlie Parr, Sarah King, Jake La Botz, The Jenkins Twins, and the Cactus Blossoms and Carol chose wisely in her song selection. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!