Dave's Music #112 You hungry?

 


A few months ago I started to organize songs for a FOOD playlist and quickly I found 20 songs, then I created the second 20.  When I recently was listening to Irondequoit Dodge's "Store Brand" I started Volume 3.  When I went to post this volume I was sure I had shared the other volumes, but I didn't; tough beans we're going to start with feeding you with this ten song volume because it's a great salad mix of new and interesting finds in my library.

1) Store Brand - Irondequoit Dodge

I love when my wife reacts to songs I love when they are playing in the car; this one gets her chuckling.  "Ain't got no Toyota money... can't get you Hienz, our ketchup is store brand" This has great John Prine type humor in it.


2) Fry Bread - Keith Secola

The food lines were so long, but we did end up with a great taco treat on a Fry Bread at the Water is Life Festival in Duluth.  Keith was wonderful at the festival and listening to this after the event made is much more interesting.


Here's a video to understand why Keith is soul you would follow and definitely eat some fry bread with.


3) Eat What you Kill - Annie Humphrey

Another purchase I made before going to the Water is Life so I knew who I was going to listen to.  She was a passionate opening act that we enjoyed completely.  Truly I love the advice.


Be accountable and responsible... here Annie is explaining both the song the album.


4) Canned Goods - J. Jeffery Messerole

Figured a guy from Iowa was covering Greg Brown's classic, but no he wrote this pickled gem.


5) Crow Black Chicken - The Roe Family Singers

Not sure if you ever a chance to eat this chicken, but you'll have great melody to dance around and scare that chicken.


And this video is too good not to share it:


6) A Better Raisin - Joy Zimmerman

Ok dumb line, but Joy brings my joy to listen to.  I might grow up a better pickle than a cuke; she definitely gets all the food references right.  Weird she's not in Bandcamp, I did meet her through the Great River Folk Festival Songwriter contest.


7) Oom Sha La La - Haley Heynderickx 

Haley was a Bandcamp find in 2020, and while the milk is sour she is planning to start a garden... oh yeah and oom sha la la... ;-)


And when there is a great video like this, I need to share it.


8) Dreamsicle - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

You know I love dreamsicle's from my youth to, I think that's what Jason captures perfectly in the midst of family issues:

A dreamsicle on a summer nightIn a folding lawn chairWitches ring around the moonBetter get home soon
Poison oak and poison ivyDirty jokes that blew right by meMama curling up beside meCrying to herself
Why can't daddy just come home?Forget whatever he did wrongHe's in a hotel all aloneAnd we need help
A dreamsicle on a summer nightIn a folding lawn chairI'm still packing up my roomGotta get home soon


And we get to see him play it live.


9) Chicken - Carsie Blanton

Kissing a chicken? yick well at least the song is tasty with that touch of banjo.

lovin you’s like kissin a chicken
baby it’s a one way street
kissin you’s like lickin a lemon
you’re so sour it’s sweet

obviously we need one another
baby I’m your biggest fan
what part of being meant for each other
do you not understand?

oh, how happy we’ll be
when you finally fall for me

I can tell you I didn't even know her when she released this song in 2012, but I hope she's happy now since I have fallen in love with Carsie; you should too.  Remember Good #MusicHasNoExpirationDate


Now give up to people who tape live concerts and share them on YouTube.. she was so cute (and still is) with different color hair.  God I love her talk about the muse and she addresses that weird opening.


10) Store Bought Bread - Rick Thompson

My playlist concludes with this great song by a local songwriter who know is hosting the Dan Berger Songwriter Corner.  I can't find it anywhere to share anywhere, so I'll share with you Bread by the Billies.  I believe I shared it before but it's sometimes it rises to the occasion. 


Here's your one click YouTube Playlist, but remember if you get a chance go to Bandcamp and buy even a song or two.  One purchase of a song for a $1.00 is like listening to a song on Spotify 450 times for an artist to make a single dollar.


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!