Dave's Music #115 The Foreign Landers - Put All Your Troubles Away


Duo's have been on my mind lately, Viv & Riley played the house concert, Stone & Snow are booked in March and I just booked Isaak and Tori from the Good Morning Bedlam in December; but really I have loved them for a while Dan & Roxanne Nedding, Ian & Slyvia, heck I have records by Sonny and Cher too.  When I saw the name The Foreign Landers on the line up for Boats and Bluegrass I expected 4-5 people from Europe playing bluegrass but it was the wonderful duo who describe themselves in Bandcamp as:

The Foreign Landers is a duo hailing from opposite sides of the Atlantic united by their love of bluegrass and traditional folk music and their love for each other. Together they combine the musical styles of their respective homelands, along with their instrumental prowess and haunting vocals to create something new.

It was an afternoon concert that I got up close to and took this video of an instrumental, and yes David has a master of that mandolin, and Tabitha has some chops on that guitar.


A visit to their website finds me agreeing with Sierra Hull:

“Hearing The Foreign Landers for the first time immediately landed a huge smile on my face and for a moment allowed escape from all the negative noise in the world. Tabitha and David simply sound like two people who are meant to make music together. The playing, singing, and arrangements are all so wonderful—I’m a fan!”

- Sierra Hull


In case you don't stop over to the website to read it, here's their story:

The Foreign Landers is a duo hailing from opposite sides of the Atlantic united by their love of bluegrass and traditional folk music and their love for each other. Together they combine the musical styles of their respective homelands, along with their instrumental prowess and haunting vocals to create something new.

It was more than unlikely circumstances that brought these two together. David Benedict grew up in South Carolina playing with the only Celtic folk band in town, while Tabitha Agnew was perhaps the only 12 year-old in Northern Ireland who started playing the 5-string banjo after a chance hearing of an Alison Krauss & Union Station record. Ironically, it took each a while to discover the traditional music of their own countries, but they eventually came around. Both excelled at their instruments and found themselves playing with some of the most promising young acoustic bands on the scene today—David with the Boston-band Mile Twelve and Tabitha with both Cup O’Joe and Midnight Skyracer from the UK. With such unique common threads, there was an instant connection when Tabitha and David finally met. 

Of course I immediately bought their album in Bandcamp and quickly decided it would be my Thursday Review Release because it hit all three requirements when it became my companion around the yard as I collected and cut some firewood.   Oh my 45 plays would have sent them maybe a dime in Spotify but I paid full value in Bandcamp... (just saying again you should all consider buying music from your favorite artists)  

1) I'm Not Sayin' 

The release starts with a great reimagining of Gordon Lightfoot's song that I've always loved.  This version is so simply stated with two instruments and Tabitha's soft voice.  I did listen to this first before deciding to buy and I believe click buy immediately after it.


Yes... there is a video, now I'll say this just once not to dwell on it but they have a sound reminiscent of vintage Nickel Creek, and the mandolin playing is sweet like when Chris Thile isn't showing off.  Back to Sierra's comment; don't this video make you smile?  In the video they said they send this out in remembrance of Tony Rice of course another great bluegrass player.


2) Finn's Rescue 

This instrumental has Tabitha on her banjo (Scarabeus Bulas Banjo read more about her banjo skills and techniques here at Banjo Newsletterand boy she has a delicate touch.


3) The Leaves Go Green

Their notes say this haunting song was a traditional lyrics with new music by them.   I've struggled to find the lyrics in traditional form until I noted in the video they said it was written by Northern Ireland's Sam Henry and it's number 63 out of 514 songs from Sam's collection.  They could easily do a release of 10 more songs.


Again, this comes with a great live video to share:


4) Song for Riddle

A tasteful original, love the verse about their dog and not moving fast.


Dang... watching these two really want me to reach out and book them for a house concert.  This video does kind of show David's a little taller than Tabitha as the mic is set for her height and do all mandolin players start on guitar first? I switched back and forth during my Rose River days and it's a hoot to get all that space to maneuver when you go back to the guitar.


5) Knowing You

I lied, here's another song that reminds me of Nickel Creek, love the harmonies too.


6) Put All Your Troubles Away

The title cut is a John Hartford cover that I wasn't familiar with, so I looked it up.


Ok I loved the song, then I watched the video... again Sierra's right I'm smiling again and like the song says "Give me your heart, let's be happy.  Put all your troubles away"


It took me a while to find where John recorded it, I put the 1991 CD with his son Jamie in my want list to pick up someday.  Sadly it wasn't released on vinyl. (Screen shot from Discogs)


and it sound's like this and I like The Foreign Landers cover better, it's less that standard bluegrass shtick.  (not saying that's totally bad now, just in small doses)



Since this gives you perspective and their talent to interpret; how about hearing Gordon's song that some of you might not know as well as I do; and the one I'm sharing is the one he rerecorded for Gord's Gold and tagged Ribbon of Darkness at the end.  Classic but this just makes their cut more special.


Yes we have a YouTube ONE Click playlist for all the songs above:



I hope you enjoyed this introduction to David and Tabitha's music all my Reviews are both for you and me as I learn more about the artists when you slow down and listen.  Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!