Dave's Music #118 Willi Carlisle - Peculiar Missouri


One of the most fun side benefit to hosting musicians at your house is the wealth of knowledge you pick up, and Vivian Leva and Riley Calcagno, for as young as they are, were full of connections that just were not in my wheelhouse.  Some will show up in other posts, but let's start with Willi Carlisle.  We were talking about Chicago Farmer (right they hadn't heard of him) and I said he's this generation's Arlo Guthrie, you know funny but able to weave stories into songs.  They said oh that's a lot like Willi, and I quickly linked up that he's also on the same Free Dirt Records, and I think I have him on my wishlist.  Well getting ready for Bandcamp Friday on Oct 7th, I double checked and Bandcamp said I owned it.  I thought that was strange and checked my library, oh just one song.  You know I sometimes don't like to buy these Pre-Order releases; if you miss the email that it's been released you never download it.  Well that's what happened so I downloaded it, and instantly fell in love with it.  If Chicago Farmer is the next generation Arlo, then Willi is this generation's Bruce "Utah" Phillips.  Now of course that an easy pickup from his bio, 

Willi Carlisle is a poet and a folk singer for the people. Like his hero Utah Phillips, Carlisle's extraordinary gift for turning a phrase isn't about high falutin' pontificatin'; it's about looking out for one another and connecting through our shared human condition.

but take that from an Utah Phillips fan; he's got the chops.  He's also got a darn good following on Bandcamp:



I sing the praise of Bandcamp a lot, but look at those reviews from fans: 

devin_s Found this album through another artist, and I keep coming back to it. Tracks like "Vanlife" and "Your Heart's a Big Tent" just have something so special in them. Perfect music for wandering around or roadtripping in no general direction :D Favorite track: Your Heart's a Big Tent.

KatG honest and beautiful and funny and heartbreaking and heart-filling. listen if you need to feel things. listen if you need to feel a little less lost for awhile. Favorite track: I Won't Be Afraid.

erik carlson Willi is a natural and gifted modern troubadour in the old school style. Each track is an entire world unto itself that one both longs to be part of and watch from a comfortable distance. Favorite track: Vanlife.

armadillotalesbooks Wanted to praise this marvelous album but got distracted googling whether anyone uses "w00t" anymore.

Steve Leon Tulsa's Last Magician is an incredible song! Really outstanding writing! I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

Well the other test that Willi quickly passed was getting a big thumbs up from my wife Lori, his music came on in the car and I told him about it.  After about 3-4 of the songs she said, "boy I like this guy where is he out of?" Fayetteville Arkansas.  Now let's listen to some music:

1) Your Heart's a Big Tent

Right out of the blocks, Willi picks up the beat and invites you in to the music even before his third cup of coffee.

And come on, what a great video.


2) Life on the Fence

You know life isn't always easy, Willi captures it here.


When it's available I love videos that give you the stark difference between the studio cut and just a voice and guitar.  I love the fan comment, "As a guy that probably drinks way too much, and is struggling with life, your music hits me hard man. Keep it coming, it keeps me going."


3) Tulsa's Last Magician

Oh my this is one heck of a ballad and for some reason the only lyric they have put in Bandcamp so why not share a few of my favorite lines:

Well Tulsa’s last magician got his start at four
Pulled a quarter from his own ear and spun it on the floor
Since there’s no good tricks but old ones and lyin’ ain’t that hard
He saved up all his quarters and bought a deck of cards

And he learned ragtime piano, though his teacher thought him slow
Got a black belt in karate from a pawn shop video
And he’d practice all his worst mistakes in a dirty bathroom mirror
And when his mother drank, he learned to disappear


Wow... then he gets old:

Now time and space is easy for magic to control
Still it was forty years of workin’ ‘fore he noticed he was old
And now his great escaping act is just untying both his shoes
And most days he’s in the easy chair, yellin’ at the news


Boy as my luck would have it, a great video appeared when I searched the song.


4) Van Life

This is definitely the country hit off of the release, and he's got this video prominently displayed on his home page.




And watch to then end for the blooper of him falling out of the van:


5) Este Mundo

Don't get the idea that you will be getting the same groove the whole release, I love this Mexican feel, grab your partner and waltz.



And of course we find out that it's a folk song and that Willi's playing the accordion on the song.


6) I Won't Be Afraid 

"Lord know I've done some dumb shit and I plan to do some more"


I love that he teaches the audience the best line.


Now that we've come to half of the album can I say I would have gladly paid full album price for these six songs already and it would have made my blog review easier... Ha.

7) Buffalo Bill 

Geez he was a handsome man, and he likes a blue eyed boy?  hmm  Great little banjo song.


8) The Down and Back

Follow a banjo with a great fiddle tune.


9) Peculiar, Missouri

That brings us to the title track, a 6 minute story of stopping in Peculiar and then going to the local Walmart.  If you are like me, you'll listen to this songs several times to try to figure it out, and exactly why he wants lip gloss.  If anything it does bring you back to the beginning comment, this guy has Utah Phillips storytelling chops.


Well look here, we get a live cut video out in the digital world, but be forewarned this is song is in a 13 minute episode.  I love he tells the audience to pretend they've been living in the van with him, and I love that there isn't actually not a WalMart in the city.


10) The Grand Design

Written for a friend who didn't answer the knock on his door.  

There’s evil enough in a half-full cup To tempt me towards the deep-dark fine When I believe in love, and the things thereof I know I feel you shine I dunno, but I heard that there is more I'm uneasy knockin' on the door.


Love the simplicity of this video.


11)  Goodnight Loving Trail

What a great nod to his hero as he cover's Bruce "Utah" Phillip's song, which just a touch of his own style.


Now this is how I'd expect Bruce to do his song.


12) Rainbow Mid Life's Willow

The album ends with a haunting old sounding tune.



YES For this review we did a one click YouTube playlist:


I hope you enjoyed this introduction to Willi's most recent release, but I might venture out and buy older releases now that I'm hooked.   All my Reviews are both for you and me as I learn more about the artists when you slow down and listen.  Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

RARE Bonus.... Video from the blog author inspired by the post:

Yes Willi's love of Utah Phillips made me pull out the guitar and cover the song he covered above:

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!