Dave's Music #119 Oct Bandcamp Friday highlights


Ok if you have read my About or most of my blogs, you would understand my love for music goes deep and the library is extensive to be brash in the posts that I only play the music I own (bought or graced by a gift of vinyl or digital songs).  Lately I'm a huge cheerleader for Bandcamp and hater of Spotify because since during the pandemic Bandcamp gave back huge percentages of their taking once a month on Friday.  Yes they were even sold to another company and they decided to keep the tradition running.  So my wife likes to ask me if it was Bandcamp Friday when she see the charges from $1 to $20 multiple times on a day on the credit card bill; and how do you decide what to buy.  So as an artist comes up in the car, I explain the connection.  I thought I'd take October and give you all the same news and I think that's still on Mission.  So let's get started, some of these songs will be played for the first time as I'm typing and copying pasting links; so be it when you add 186 songs and 11 hours and 24 minutes to the library.  I'll try to group the songs in a logical sequence, and when you click on the Bandcamp link and listen to the whole song, many times it will keep going through the rest of the album; most cases you can listen three times before they ask you to buy the song.  If you are a Spotifier and I can't change your mind, look these people up too.  Too many bookers are using streaming performance before booking, I know that so sad.  OK NOW I'll get started:

1) House Carpenter - Wandering Ramblers

We recently hosted Vivian Leva & Riley Calcagno and this band came up in conversation; this lead singer is actually Viv's mom.  I would be all in if Viv and her would get together and put out an EP of singing; you know I love Family Harmonies!


2) Little Satchel - Wandering Ramblers

Riley sang this at concert as a tribute to Fred Cockerman who sings lead on this song.  He died at 70 6 months earlier of a heart attack an hour before a start of a gig.  I kind of promise that this will be the only repeat artist in the playlist, but it was two different voices.  It does take first up because it was the first thing I bought.


3) I Am Human - Jaspar Lepak

Jaspar has made a five lists before this one, and I admire her clean voice and her songwriting skills; and just like that we ran into each other up at Storyhill Fest! She is as warm of a person that she puts forward in all the videos I've watched of her raising her children right by taking them to music festivals.  Speaking of videos, this post will not have a YouTube playlist, but I will share the video where this song came from.  BTW get out and vote to make sure freedoms are not suppressed by narrow minded people.




4) This October - Peter Mayer

Speaking of Storyhill Fest, we had a chance to hear Peter do this song and right before Bandcamp Friday he released this wonderful song.


5) When I Drift Away - The Mascot Theory

I met Erik Kjelland through the Great River Folk Fest songwriter contest, this full band piece is very much a throw back to music I grew up in the 70's, great harmonies, fast paced, and tasteful lead riffs.


6) Forever - Stacy Steven Hanson

Sticking with people I know, Stacy a local musician and a heck of a cook.  I picked up a short EP of him live, but on BC Friday he released this gem.  It feels so real in the 2nd verse to hear about his girls gone, and while he doesn't name Jamie his lovely wife, the song brings into their home and let you feel the love.


7) Pieces - Audra Nemir

I met Audra playing bass for Five Letter Word at the Great River Folk Fest.  This solo effort is so nice what I've listened to so far.  The title track has an old country feel with a touch of harmonies.


8) Alabama Sky - Jason Isbell

Right here's one I haven't met personally, yet.  I'm pretty sure we would get along pretty well if we did.  He posted these two simple songs of just him and guitar in Bandcamp in 2020.  His setting only allow embedding both songs so Alabama will come after the demo.


9) Witness - Angela Easterling

Here's a digital friend from the MySpace days, though I'm not sure if she would remember my name if we ever met.  She put a tight album that I'm just diving into so for now here's the title track that moves along, and the guitar riffs are from her significant other.


10) Kristin on the Side - Willi Carlisle

Willi is my new find that I just reviewed and knew I'd be buying more of his library.  I can imagine finding more gems, but this song came up randomly and he paints such stories and he shared the lyrics on his BC page, so you are going to be able to read along:
She's a pastor's daughter, nobody loves her.
She's two-hundred and fifty pounds,
And not one of 'ems muscle.
Nobody got her any braces like the others,
So she's still gaptoothed like my mother.

It was the summer of 2007
When I mistook a half-rolled joint
And her lips for heaven
I guess I'm not that into it, nothing to compare
It was easier to lie to myself when she was there

But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side
But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side
She's the only one who even knows what's on my mind
But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side

We'd go to church on Sunday
and write notes in our hymnals
In a red pen we'd draw up all our future tattoos
Then spike the coffee afterwards with stolen spirits
Say here's my body, here's my blood too.

And she never spoke in tongues,
but her tongue said what I would not
She never spoke her mind so her mind was lost on me
But I kissed her brother at her nineteenth birthday party
I never felt so alive or so free

But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side
But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side
She's the only one who gives damn what's on my mind
But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side

I could have the life wrenched out of me
But I can't jimmy anyone's heart
I could go back to the girl
that's known me from the start
I could crumpled fifty bucks inside my pocket, I could say goodbye
I could stroll to certain bars downtown with a cold look in my eye

But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side
But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side
She's the only one who gives a damn what's on my mind
But I'm still seeing Kristin on the side

She says boy, say why be lonely
When you could just come home with me?
I guess that she's more the adventurous kind.

credits

from To Tell You the Truth, released May 12, 2018



11) Murder at the Bingo Hall - Amigo the Devil

Willi Carlisle's tour schedule will bring him to Madison's High Noon Saloon Monday Oct 24th, and my wife and I are intrigued to go there.  We saw he's actually just opening for someone, so I looked him up and bought his most recent cd.  Oh my the next generation's Tom Waits ... we're more interested now.


12) We Sing Hallelujah - Low Lilly 

Low Lilly has my favorite New England fiddler Lissa Schneckenberger and this Richard Thompson cover moves the song to more of a Christmas hymn.


I think you need to hear Richard's version too for contrast: (yes I can share it because I own this too)


13) It Looked Just Like a Gun - Jake La Botz

Here's keeping it in a weird Christmas vein, Jake puts out a song worthy to make think of John Lennon's sense of humor.  Jake is on my short list to get for a house concert too since I've seen him at the Great River Folk Fest.


14) Immigration Nation - Mike Ward

Another digital friend I'm going to meet at FARM in October.  He put out a fine 3 song EP in time to reinforce his desire to make vote for the right side.


15) This Time, Last Week - Sprig of That

I met this incredibly talented trio over the summer sharing a set with Caludo at the Island City Brewery in Winona MN.  While I don't listen to a lot of instrumental music, when I listened to their new single release I just couldn't help myself; I knew I wanted it.  If anything I close my eyes and it's summer and I'm drinking a fine vanilla porter with just a "Sprig of That" and my new Caludo friends.


Since the original post, I found they had a great video of the song... consider it added.

\
Yes... this memory, and you'll see a member of Sprig of That during these clips.


16) A Spadeful of Ground - Emily Barker & The Red Clay Halo

I found Emily with Bandcamp search of "Folk"  I'm a sucker to click on pretty women album covers, but I don't buy them all.  This women just had great songs every time I clicked on one of her songs.  Her BC page describes her as:

Emily Barker is the award-winning songwriter and performer of the theme to BBC TV’s Wallander starring Kenneth Branagh. Her music is a blend of roots influences from country to English folk via 60s pop.


17) Fleur de Lis - Bonny Light Horseman

I've been following this trio for a while, and I think I found them with my folk search again and Bonnie Light Horseman is traditional song that I love.  They just released this album Oct 7th 2022 so it's brand new, and I could see a release review some day.  I have noted they have been getting some props in some of the sites I follow.


18) Woman of the Waterways - Ellie Gowers

Another find from a BC search, and nope this time there wasn't a pretty woman's picture on the album cover.  Pretty sure I'll never meet her since her home base is in England.  I guess when I clicked I loved the description of her music:

Ellie Gowers has been making an impression wherever she lands. Her music embeds a fierce energy that echoes the 60’s folk revival scene and she is known to hold pride of place on stage with her strong and lucent vocals.

It's also very freshly released, September 30, 2022 and she's under 2,000 likes on Facebook so I'm thinking if she tours in the states, a house concert?  I know I'm a little dreamer sometime.


19) Havana Moon - Susan Werner

Now we'll start a journey of musicians I will see at FARM in October.  Susan is a key note speaker and has a few cuts out in Bandcamp including this lovely lounge lizard piece, so I added it to my already interesting collection of her songs.


20) Cuyahoga - Ben Gage

Ben has a FARM Showcase, and his 2022 release is very good at my first glance.  Here's it's title track that has an old feel to it and some sweet arrangements

I’m going down to cuyahoga with my bottle
I’m going to down to cuyahoga with my will
Send down this old river to another
I’m looking and I haven’t found it still
I’m looking and I haven’t found it still

I’m gonna rest my broken bones in the soft clay
I’m gonna rest my broken bones upon the shore
Maybe that dark rain cloud will wash me
Maybe I won’t hurt so bad no more
Maybe I won’t hurt so bad no more



21) Plowshare Prayer - Spencer LaJoye

Another FARM Showcase who is a totally new voice to me.

Spencer LaJoye is a folk/pop singer songwriter, violinist, and vocal loop artist in Boston, MA who believes everyone is made of the good stuff. They make music to remember what it means to be human, to find connection in a time of disconnection, and to feel something in a world gone numb. 

This single is rich in writing that when she shared the lyrics I love to read along and enjoy it more and a perfect prayer.  I believe this woman will be a long time follow for me and I bought more than just this single.
Dear blessed creator, dear mother, dear savior
Dear father, dear brother, dear holy other
Dear sibling, dear baby, dear patiently waiting
Dear sad and confused, dear stuck and abused

Dear end-of-your-rope, dear worn out and broke,
Dear go-it-alone, dear running from home
Dear righteously angry, forsaken by family
Dear jaded and quiet, dear tough and defiant

I pray that I’m heard
And I pray that this works

I pray if a prayer has been used as a sword
against you and your heart, against you and your word
I pray that this prayer is a plowshare, of sorts
that it might break you open, it might help you grow

I pray that your body gets all that it needs
and if you don’t want healing, I just pray for peace
I pray that your burden gets lighter each day
I pray the mean voice in your head goes away

I pray that you honor the grief as it comes
I pray you can feel all the life in your lungs
I pray that if you go all day being brave
that you can go home, go to bed feeling safe

I pray you’re forgiven, I pray you forgive
I pray you set boundaries and openly live
I pray that you feel you are worth never leaving
I pray that you know I will always believe you

I pray that you’re heard
and I pray that this works

Amen on behalf of the last and the least
On behalf of the anxious, depressed, and unseen
Amen for the workers, the hungry, the houseless
Amen for the lonely and recently spouseless

Amen for the queers and their closeted peers
Amen for the bullied who hold in their tears
Amen for the mothers of little Black sons
Amen for the kids who grow up scared of guns

Amen for the addicts, the ashamed and hungover
Amen for the calloused, the wisened, the sober
Amen for the ones who want life to be over
Amen for the leaders who lose their composure

Amen for the parents who just lost their baby
Amen for the chronically ill and disabled
Amen for the children down at the border
Amen for the victims of our law and order

I pray that you’re heard
and I pray that this works

I pray if a prayer has been used as a sword
against you and your heart, against you and your word
I pray that this prayer is a plowshare, of sorts

credits

released February 18, 2022


22) Sparrows - Gina Forsyth

Gina has a FARM Showcase, and this traditional sounding song; sadly it's her only song on Bandcamp.


23) Jennifer's Rabbit - Buffalo Rose & Tom Paxton

Buffalo Rose will have a FARM Showcase, and this Tom Paxton cover is wonderfully eerie and I just had to give Tom's storytelling version for a comparison. Yes he wrote this for his daughter Jennifer and I own it somewhere maybe in my kid cd collections.



24) Rosebud Hornpipe - A J Srubas & Rina Rossi

AJ will have a FARM showcase bringing some old time fiddle playing to the event.


25) Free Leonard Peltier - Joe Troop

I'm not exactly sure why or how I found Joe, but here's a great song I bought:

Because he doesn't allow embedding you'll have to click here and listen in Bandcamp.  or enjoy this video... yes it has rich history of our indigenous neighbors.   Wow, I'm sharing this within hours of release and it only had 278 views before this posting.  What a great new folk ballad documenting history.


26) Billie Jean - James Hill & Anne Janelle

This was a gift from David Enge who has taken my Mission to heart that I said I'm not into this for a profit model, but if you ever want to give me money I'll use it to buy music; better yet gift me music in Bandcamp and it'll show up in my library for others to know about too.  David loved the mix of uke and cello... you have to hear their cover of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, and of course when I searched YouTube to see what they look like doing the song... OH MY Goodness 4 Million views of this which includes a sell job on playing a ukulele.  The song quality of the video isn't the best but it's too fun not to watch.




27) Twilight - Jesper Lindell featuring Amy Helm

Another gift from David late in the evening, and all I had a chance to listen to was it's title cut.  Yes adding Jesper now I have two ladies from the U.K and a guy from Sweden, he has a voice that could be midwestern though.


Dang... if you made it all the way down here; I give you a lot of credit and I hope your journey in discovering new music is a fruitful one.  With 27 cuts it's likely one of my longest blog posts and they won't all fit in the the labels.  Shucks... I'll hit as many as I can.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!