Dave's Music #125 FARM Highlights


When our friend Siena Christie told Lori and I she was having an Official Showcase at FARM in Naperville IL, we kind of figured it would be our fall music fest.  Yes inside a hotel away from the weather, and it ended up to be the last summer gasp of the year and we could have been outside.  I've always had a few issues attending these in the past; WinCraft is busy in fall and frowns at vacation during MLB playoffs, and I only had so many spots to book artists for the Bluff View House Concerts.  Well retirement took care of the first concern and this blog helps with the second.  If I can't book them, promote them.  This blog post will be long so hang in there, or just skip around.  I figured the fest would be full of musicians I would love when 182 of the 293 participants were musicians.  Heck skipping around fits in perfectly how the evening showcases were set up, so many choices.  

Thursday started on stage with the Folk DJ Showcase; thank the world there are radio stations surviving in these days of streaming.  Elexa Dawson filled in for a couple who had family issues and couldn't make it.  Love her indigenous roots, and music.  Her Bandcamp page describes her as, "Elexa creates community-focused Americana music with soulful vocals and connection to land. Oklahoma Native, Elexa now calls Kansas her home. "Music is Medicine" is nominated for five NAMAs, and her single, "Mother" is the latest of two Top Ten hits on SiriusXM's IMC. Potawatomi activist and educator, Elexa facilitates songwriting workshops, talking circles, and relational plant education"

 Pretty nice start, here's a song of hers I bought so far:


Sue Horowitz was next, and I noted I loved her song, "Anyone can write a Song" Sadly she's not on Bandcamp, but found a video.  Now to tell her getting on Bandcamp, it's easy.


When the next artist came on stage, Mike Ward's wife Angela leaned over and said, "She's good"... she was right.  Megan Bee had two great songs (all of the DJ showcases were two songs) and left you wanting more; and today I bought the Cottonwood release that was getting all the radio play lately.  I'm not sure what songs, but when she played Fast Johnny in an evening showcase later I knew I was going to buy it just when.  Plus she's an artist that gets Bandcamp, lyrics shared!!!!  I think she said her mom didn't like some of the words in this song.

Johnny drives a speedboat, he roars across the river
Yeah he’s cutting through the quiet, he’s splashing all the swimmers
And if you’re gonna ride along you’d better hold on to your ass
There’s only one speed Johnny knows and that’s really fucking fast
I said hold on


Here's a semi-clean version of her live.


Mike Ward was up next, and while we had never met before, he's made EIGHT blog posts before this one. He shared the song "Broken"


Ever More Nest from New Orleans was next and I noted I loved their Coming Along.  Odd they are on Bandcamp and that's the only song in the album I can't buy as a single.  I'll put the cd on my wishlist, here's the song on YouTube:


Crowes Pasture was next and they gathered around the condenser mic, and of course suckered me in.  Great gentle banjo and harmonies.  They aren't in Bandcamp, and while they didn't play this song... you know how much I love a good Dylan cover.


In early December they released this video recorded at FARM, so I added this to the post as another memory.



Andy Sydow was another name and voice I knew from the Great River Folk Fest Songwriter contest.  What a great story about his Sydow guitar.  I found this 3 song gem in Bandcamp:


Sarah Morris... sure I have to travel to Chicago to see this Twin Cities friend of mine, one I hadn't met in person until FARM.  This is Sarah's 4th trip to the blog.  She did this song "Confetti" as a request from Phil Maq with WHFR who presented her.



Randy Lewis Brown is definitely taller than I expected.  I interviewed him as a Great River Folk Fest Songwriter finalist.  He shared one of my favorite songs, and nope not in Bandcamp.


Eliza Thorp was another artist that this time Mike Ward whispered to me, "She's Good"  She only had one old song on Bandcamp that didn't sound like what we listened to, so this video is more reflective:


Next artist was the only one I taped that night because when someone grabs a washboard, and puts on a harmonica strap, you know it's going to be unique.  Nikki Morgan was my find of the day, and I'll follow her and if she stays in Chicago; I'm sure I'll see her again.


For her second song it sounded like this EP release that was my first of many purchases of her's.  I think the song she didn't have swear words, but this one they fit in naturally in the storytelling.


Last up on the DJ Showcase was Katie Oats... did love that she's putting out a cd of Si Kahn covers.  She's not on Bandcamp, but here's a song from that release:


Thursday night was our first experience in room hopping and we saw all these people.  It included a great mini-concert from Jaspar Lepak, our first tastes of House of Hamill and Buffalo Rose, and met my other Great River Folk Fest Songwriter finalist Kyle Rasche among others.  Now is as good of time as any to share a couple of the evening showcase videos from a few of these.


Jaspar shared this song during her mini-concert:


Here's an update to this post on Nov 22nd, Jaspar just shared this video taken while at FARM that weekend.  Such a great song. 



Arielle Silver had reached out to me before the event, and when someone works that hard, I tend to pay them back for the attention.  She's a talented lady who flew in from LA to play the evening sets and I caught a couple of them.  Yep she's in my Bandcamp Wishlist


Buffalo Rose will show up again in this post, but I did see them out of the blocks on Thursday night and it sounded like this in an un-amplified room.


Emily Rose would be a name, voice and talent that I surprised with almost every time I had a chance to see her.  This song shows depth of her writing, but all had skill and wit too.


Here's a great song she posted, love the harmonies.


Friday's Showcase started out with Steam Machine, who I've seen in LaCrosse and own their CD.  I did learn that the banjo player is the son of Dan Robinson who was the Simply Folk DJ for a long time.


Rupert Wates was crisp and talented on the guitar.  I believe he played this song:


I own a few of Tret Fure's cds, and in the past she has played the Great River Folk Fest.  She did this great song:


And she sounded like this:


Buffalo Rose was next, and I'll tell you that while I had bought their Rabbit EP before the event; they blew me away with their energy, their chops, harmonies and yes even choreography.  I didn't video much from their main stage performance, but here is the other one I had the full song. (They do show up in the FARM Clip video at the end too)


Jordan Hamilton was outstanding talent on the cello with a looper and while he didn't do this song, this is what he sounded like and the video was so perfect.  Plus per my wife, he's cute.


Loved Basset's banter about being from Toronto; I got the a cappella piece they ended with.  Sadly they aren't on Bandcamp.


They did include this great cover in their set:


Friday's Official Showcase ended with Donna Herula an award winning folk blues artist.  Donna's music isn't on Bandcamp, so we'll see if I venture other places to buy it.  Definitely she was a favorite witnessed by the number of videos I took.

A traditional song:


You get what you deserve from a honey like her.. ;-)


The evening showcases included me staying up until 2:15, something I never figured I would do.  But so many had wine and treats, it fueled me to the late hours and the walk to the elevator.  Yes, if you are going to drink, at least walking to the elevator doesn't pose much harm to humanity just a few braincells.

We met a 2nd person up for a Grammy consideration, Deidra McCalla; and she's good.


Beth Bombara resembles a musician I love to follow, and why not she's pretty good besides being so darn cute.   I haven't decided what to buy in her Bandcamp page but I'm hoping she'll release this"Stay at Home Blues" soon.


Karen from Stone & Snow gave me my only memory from the event of someone calling my name from overhead; hey I knew a few people but give her credit; she got my attention.  (Yep and she's tall and I've said all my life tall women intimidate me and I do whatever they ask - but they are always reasonable people; I'm just short.)  I missed some of their earlier slots so I stayed up until 2:15 to kind of get a pretty private concert (about six of us left in the room)  Frequent blog readers might click with their name because it is the Eighth time they are appearing in DBT.


Wow if you have made it this far you know what I felt like after two intense days and there is one more to go.

The afternoon had what they called Performance Lane Showcases, where artists got 10 minutes and there were only 3 rooms.  We sat ourselves down in one and enjoyed Kyle Rasche (Chain of Lakes) playing with two of The Accidentals.  The dang AC kicked in during the beginning of the song, and stopped about a minute in.

Here's the studio version mixed nicely with The Accidentals:


The showcase: (yes I loved the unplugged intimacy, but I think my house concerts with a sound system are still better)


The Saturday showcases started with Gina Forsyth, a talented fiddler and musician that is so loved at FARM and has played on many other artists releases.


The reason why we attended was up next, and forgive me if we come across as loving family and recorded her whole set for you to enjoy Siena Christie.  Yes we're hoping when she moves to the Midwest it's maybe in the Twin Cities so we can hear her more often.  Dear Northland also has Ellen Stanley's intro where she mentions the Great River Folk Fest.  Still to think, I would have never met Siena if I hadn't searched Bandcamp and came across her release Ice Olation.  (For reference this is the 12th time Siena has graced the blog)




Spencer LaJoye was next, and I'll tell you folk singer songwriter's future is so bright with her and Siena.  She shared the song I had bought previously to the event, but it came to life with just her voice and guitar.  It brought tears to my wife's eyes and many more.


So glad she has a live version out in YouTube:


Djangophonique was exactly what I expected, crisp moving gypsy jazz.  I say that not to offend anyone, I am half Bohemian and I love to say I have gypsy blood in me.  The Willie Nelson meet Django did surprised me; yes that's me laughing as I starting taping.  I also love Willie Nelson's music.


Ben Gage was another pre-FARM purchase, but he really grabbed us as like a Greg Brown live entertainer.  We'll make sure to see him live again.  His sense of humor is kicked off right at the beginning of his operatic set.


House of Hamill, ha they'll remember me for debating them on the merits of being in Bandcamp.  You will be the first to hear if they decide to take the time, I'll likely do a Thursday review to thank them.  They are an outstanding trio with original Celtic feeling to their music; but don't pigeon hole them if you pass on Irish music... they are folks that are too good to pass on.  Plus really Lori and I were always considering a trip to Ireland with a musician; and they are going there Sep-Oct 2023; now that would be fun.


Tim Grimm closed out the Saturday showcases, and did a great tribute song to Michael Smith, Eric Taylor, and David Onley.   Right he's not in Bandcamp, but enjoy this wonderful song... yes that's likely Gina Forsyth on fiddle she did share the stage with Tim for the song.


For the evening concerts we sat ourselves down in the Kerrville Folk Fest room and while I did get one video the room was dark and wanted to share a few others.

We listened to Jenny and Robin Bienemann, while married they put out unique music separately and shared some dang funny witty songs.  Jenny also has a haiku email she shares, and two different artists brought her up as they incorporated them into a song.  Need to get on that list, maybe you should too.  This song should give you a feel for what we listened to:


Jim Bizer did OHIO.


I met Laura Frawley who I first met in the Great River Folk Fest Songwriter contest:


Eric Engblade did a song about the car ferry that comes into my hometown of Manitowoc; The SS Badger. Of course I had to buy it if it was in Bandcamp and it WAS!




Plus I had to get his official video:


We did see Kanin Elizabeth at 17 years old, and her future is bright.  Here's her website so you don't go to the rapper... ha.  She did this song Homecoming.


Ok we ended the night with the best blessing from Joy Zimmerman, and I wondered how many hairballs were waiting for me after returning from a 3 day trip.


If you are exhausted, I know I am pleasantly and I know I have left off some people Susan Werner (who sang seemingly in my lap), Dennis Warner, Katie Dahl, The Dangling Participles, Emily White, Ruth/Max Bloomquist, Eileen Kozloff, and Dave & Kristie Boutette (love that polka song)

Here's a final video with multiple clips of partial songs:


I don't have enough space in labels to link everyone to this post... hope you enjoyed it.

As been normal lately, here's a one click YouTube playlist for most of the songs presented above, but not in any particular sequence:


For first timers to the blog click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.   Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!