Dave's Music #140 Driftless Women in Music

 

I had been watching all the timeline posts about the inaugural Driftless Women in Music and was definitely intrigued.  I have a friend that monitors how many women are booked as headliners in her area, and it's sad the percentage is way below 50%.  I've never done that in our LaCrosse area, but thinking about regional headliners I really only came up with a few women in the area that are lead headliners.  A quick conversation with my wife and mentioned Payton Eilers (a teen we saw at the Trempealeau Hotel), Sherri Byrne (a friend from Pigtown Fling) and Nikki Grossman (a friend from The Sapsuckers) and she was in.   

FOUR Hours and right during our 7 o'clockish supper hour.  We figured we would split halfway through.  We walked in right at 5:00 and never left. We do have to thank Barb with Leo & Leona's for bringing in those great Ham & Cheese croissants to tied us over until we closed the night with a greasy hamburger at Milwaukee Burger.  

Before we get to the music isn't this 360 degree picture from Jake Stephens awesome and then there is this beauty from Soul Exposure Photography.  


Ericka Lynn Guthrie, part of the husband and wife duo The Guthries, organized the event and it was a wonderful selection of musicians, plus she asked a few to become stage partners for the first time.  Truly the experience made it fresh and fun for the audience and the performers.  PLUS she's on it for next year too Nov. 18th start of Deer Hunting season again.  (right .... all the pretty does are on stage guys)


First up Payton Eilers, who is a teen that had her birthday on the same day (I never ask the age of a woman) and later found out she turned 18.  She has incredible pipes and guitar skills honed by a rock sense of bar chording up the neck.  For her young age, she had a great set of original tunes, and we all know they'll even get better.   She has a new album coming out in 2023 from Broken Wrist Records.  Watch and follow this woman, and I hope she stays in the area.   This song she wrote for her best friend who was in the audience and hearing it for the first time. 


Next up was a very good friend Sherri Byrne who was in the Pigtown Fling Stringband that I was the President of their fan club.  She and Ericka Lynn Guthrie played such a great set of traditional and old tunes that spoke to my wife.  Lori told me it was her favorite of the night, and with all the great music that's saying something.  Here's their first song and while Ericka missed a couple chords, who cares, she's a professional and just moved along.


Nikki Grossman who is also a dear friend from The Sapsuckers who we hosted at our house, and have seen them in over 5 different venues is well known for her outfits and why not she curates and sells vintage and unique clothes at Sconnie Scores. (Hey perfect time for Xmas presents)  Her and Liz Voz were dressed in counter pink & blue colors with FRINGE pants.  Oh my that put them in such a good mood.  Liz is part of Kickapoo Joy Juice so this was another unique pairing of friends.  I maybe went overboard videoing these two, but I figured I would never seen these two paired up again.




Camela Widad was a name I was familiar with from the Great River Folk Fest, but I missed her song swap, so I followed her before the event.  That woman has sharp marketing skills, quickly I had an introduction email and subscribed to her email and YouTube channel. She had a fun set and really connected to the audience.


Where we thought we would leave at the intermission, we had that croissant and decided we were having too much fun.


The Iowans were up next and they are Christina Dollhausen and her cousin Katie Fassbinder, and I think cousins are close enough to say they had Sibling harmony quality.  While I had seen them before, they were truly on their game that night with great song selection, and the listening room allowed me to hear them perfectly.  Yes they started the night with a song Driftless Woman, and I could have video'd them the whole night and should have.  I missed Katie playing skin on one train song.  Lori whispered to me, that's why she had to wear a low cut blouse on a cold night.





Ann Christoffer was up next and she was new to me, but she had Fran Felton on stage that I knew from a submission to the Great River Folk Fest songwriter contest.  DANG, she was only on for one great song that I believe was an Indigo Girl cover and I didn't tape it.  Ann was pretty good though solo, commanding a few covers and two originals she shyly did an incredible job on.

Sophia Landis closed the night with a great bluesy voice and a total command of the electric piano.  I loved to see that at least her older releases are on Bandcamp and of course now she's in my wishlist.

Yes... we stayed to the encore and before they got started they did sing Happy Birthday to Payton (see video here)  and here is a song from the Iowans that they shared to send us home smiling.


Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!