Dave's Music #156 Happy New YEAR!

 

When your Saturday post lands on New Year's Eve, you must create a playlist accordingly.  To my surprise there are many songs with YEAR in the title, I choose this dozen with for both the turning of the year and the desire to have a varied list of songs that I'm familiar with and ones rarely played.  

Here's what I came up with in CD format:



1) At the Turning of the Year - Herdman, Hills and Mangsen

These three ladies understand wonderful harmonies though have been some of my favorite solo folk musicians.  Ann put out a picture video to the studio song.


2) Fine Time of Year - Mark Erelli

I'm never sure if it's a great time to break up, though Mark thinks it might be just right time.


3) Beginning to Feel the Years - Brandi Carlile

Some might say seven years ago Brandi was too young to write this song.  Ha.  It's on Bandcamp but embedding isn't allowed lucky for me there is this great live video.  Gracious that voice of hers is so effortless, and the twins.  I know, I know... I could have a blog dedicated to her but there are so many other independent musicians who are also incredible and don't get as much publicity or money.


4) Ain't No Time of Year to be Alone - Mark Erelli

I think this might Mark's answer to the song to the second song placed right during the holidays.  Love how the Xmas tunes fit in nicely during the jams.


And here he is solo singing it and I really wanted to hear how he jammed the Xmas songs... he did it tastefully, so much with a full band for that kind of fill.  Now come on... this has only 500 views, let's get on it.


5) First Time in Years - Morningbird

My favorite hard working band that promotes my review of them and keeps it in the top 4 covers Erik Koskinen's great song.  The YouTube playlist will have Erik's version.



6) Four Years of Chances - Margo Price

Here's one that isn't as familiar to me, Margo has gone and made it a little famous.  She did give me plenty of chances to fall in love with her music.  Plus another great radio studio video to entice.



7) One Good Year - Slaid Cleeves

Slaid wrote one of the best New Year's Day song ever, and I even shared this on the old Zemmy Show blog back in 2011.  So it's fitting I share the same video:


8) New Year's Day - Carolyn Arends

If Slaid brought you down, my favorite ever Christian musician from Canada can save your day.


9) Poem at Year's End - Sofia Talvik

My friend who spends most of her time in European homes, she still is such a wonderful memory from playing my house concert.  Love her voice, and it's haunting in this song.  Absolutely love the live video was available for the YouTube Playlist



10) One Year In - Molly Healey

This song is my most new of the playlist from my Dec Bandcamp purchases.  Love the jingle bells in the mix.  The studio version is tight, the live video with her incredible looping is how I first saw her at the Moccasin Creek Festival.



11) Year in Review - Todd Farrell Jr.

I bought this album during March 2022's Bandcamp Friday; I truly haven't  it enough.


12) The Year of the Cat - Al Stewart

Ok here's a nod to my buddy Hobbes who gets much more attention now that I'm retired.  He is also the official mascot of the Bluff View House Concert Series.  I swear people come just to pet him.


And YES I have loved Al Stewart's music even before he released this classic hit.


Here is your ONE Click YouTube playlist if you prefer the 50 minute companion to the read and click way to enjoy the blog.


Here's hoping you come back during 2023 and enjoy some music at the #BestUnknownMusicBlog  

Click here to browse the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp #BestUnknownMusicBlog  

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!