Dave's Music #157 January

 

As we journey into the year, the month of January tends to be one of cold solitude for us in the Upper Midwest.  Recently, I was listening to an old vinyl from Bill Staines that had the original release of January Snow.  Of course you would know that I'd search if I had 12 songs for a playlist.  I didn't but I found a few more in my search of my Vinyl library in Discogs, and then I really wanted a dozen so I found three to buy in Bandcamp.  Let's start it off:

1) January Snow - Bill Staines

As mentioned I was listening to his 1971 self titled release but the song was re-recorded on his Wild, Wild Heart.   I did find on YouTube a fan had posted songs from that vinyl, so you scored the same song.



2) January - Rachael Davis

So we begin out somber hymns to January, just a slow walk and wonder when will you be back?


3) January - Humbird

Siri Undlin (Humbird) loves to write songs on months, and she wrote and released this during the pandemic period as she searched and hoped to get back outside and welcomed in January and new start. Here's the single studio release:


And here is a pretty rare video that hasn't got a lot of views yet:


4) January - Siena Christie

If you are wondering how many of the 12 will have just a title of "January" 50% of the dozen.

Here Siena is up with her angelic voice, over a prayer during January in the Northwest where it's dark and rainy.

don't go outside, honey
the world is crying like a baby
when its mama leaves the room
stay warm and dry with me
beneath the pounding tears of January
falling on our roof


5) January - David Wirsig

More solitude captured with a gentle melody and a sparse tonal arrangement.


6) Insurrection Song, January 6 - Grant Peeples

Just like the Jan 6th news in 2021 assaulted the nation and the month's solitude, so does Grant change the feel of the playlist with his dramatic recounting to a great Celtic beat.  Yet it so belongs in the playlist to be in our memory forever.


Plus it comes with a video, duh eh like we can't get that image out of our head.


7) 28th of January - Barefoot Movement

Next a traditional fiddle tune from this group known for great singing.


8) January Thaw - Lui Collins

Yes Lui returns to somber song that watches December snow thaw and just makes you think too much.


9) January Stars - George Winston

I got hooked on George back when he was releasing these seasonal piano themed music.


Keep in mind, this is a 6 minute journey on drifting melodies.


10) January - Transatlantic Trails

I just thought nine songs weren't enough so I searched Bandcamp and found three great and a really nice closer to the playlist.  First up Transatlantic Trails who are that touch of Celtic wizardy as they described themselves in Bandcamp as:

folk and Americana with a bit of an Irish twist, brought to you transatlantically by singer-songwriter Jen Hajj of Idyllwild, Ca and troubadour Martin Praetorius from somewhere close to the Baltic Sea in the North of Germany.

They plead:

January
You've never been a friend of mine
I always thought the darkest time
Of year
Hasn't arrived until you're here

January
Your Christmas lights are fading fast
A blacker cloud has come to cast
It's shadow
On the times we're living in


11) January - Ali Sperry

I kept searching in Bandcamp and I taste sample songs with the #folk tag.  Ali's song was gentle guitar playing and she had posted her lyrics which I love to read along while listening.

She is headquarters in Nashville and describes herself in Bandcamp as :

Ali Sperry, when faced with a year of trauma, racial reckoning, and downright worldwide existential crisis, did what she has always done-turned inward and wrote songs that channeled, mirrored and ultimately DISTILLED those cultural currents…
In Front Of Us will be released march 11, 2022, a record that should quietly find its way into a lot of needy hearts.
 


12) January - Hearth

After I heard Heath I just knew this was the closer to my playlist.   They described themselves:

Formed in 2016, Hearth is an indie-folk duo consisting of Melanie Wiggins and Sara Horton.

They sing and play their
 quirky, soulful songs about everything from the vagaries of love in the time of frat-bros and nice-guys to inequality and immigration reform - all delivered with an Indigo Girls meets Simon & Garfunkel meets Kimya Dawson meets something-you-haven't-quite-heard-yet sound.  

I'm pretty sure I'll be finding more of their music.


I love it that a set of twins covered the song on YouTube... Love the sibling harmony.


For a one click YouTube playlist of most songs:



Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!