Dave's Music #159 Fishermen

 

On Thursday I fell in love with Katie Dahl's song The Fisherman's Daughter, and bought her vinyl on the way out of the concert at the Trempealeau Hotel with Peter Mulvey.  It was a relaxing night with great songwriting on display.  Peter loves to play the hotel unamplified and I was lucky to get in the front row. Katie told the story about the Peninsula State Park and two sisters that were finally allowed to stay in the park until they died after the state was trying to annex them out, and she wrote a play about it.  I knew I was going to get that song along the way but didn't know until I got home it was on the vinyl that I bartered from her for every dollar I had left on me.  Musicians take note that I started this night with $70.. Two beers with tip $14, entry fee was $10 but I put in for Lori too who couldn't make it because she was sick, $20 for Peter's record, which left $16 for the vinyl.  I didn't feel too bad because I am a Patreon of Katie; she's a darn good songwriter from Wisconsin.


I'm feeling a little lazy and most of these songs are not in Bandcamp, so here's my playlist and I'll give you what I can find on a YouTube Playlist.












The 2nd song Fisherman by Tough Old Bird is a group I believe I've seen twice (at least once) at the Trempealeau Hotel also they looked a lot like that video for the tiny desk concert.  You can find their music on Bandcamp:


This video has strange settings and while it can me embedded here it can't be added to the playlist, I give you the Finest Kind.  Of course this is a good time to say we recently streamed The Fisherman's Friends movie.  Definitely TWO THUMBS Up.  (btw I found another version for the playlist)


Violet Bell has garnered my attention, and while I own this song as a single their album has made many people's top 2022 list.  Lizzy Ross also is one of the sirens with Emily Scott Robinson in her Built on Bones album.


They have too good of a video not to share:


Dang... when you love live music, a lazy approach to a playlist gets hard when you run into gems like this from performers no longer with us.  Of course there is more than one song on it so on the YouTube playlist I put the studio audio version.


Another setting set to Children Mood, but this one makes more sense.  The YT playlist will have Judy's studio version, but take time to watch this classic.  Boy I forget how utterly stunning Judy's eyes were, some should write a song about them.   Frankly, I can not respect Stephen Stills for ever breaking up with her.


So the Kelly Bosworth and Norah Rendell songs aren't in YouTube, but at least you can hear (or buy) Norah on Bandcamp.


So the playlist has ten songs, including White Squall by Stan Rogers which might not be a fisherman song but a song about being a sailor on the great lakes.  If you have never heard the song, listen to it and you'll hear the most painfully descriptive song about life on the Great Lakes, so much better than that Edmund song.


Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!