Dave's Music #160 Whiskey - a Salute to Kent Aubry


I've been thinking I'll probably never play with an old dear friend of mine who encouraged me to learn to play a few songs in high school.  Kent Aubry just retired and is moving from my hometown to Alabama of all places.  So since he loves to post listening pictures of vinyl playing with bourbon whiskey on his IG page  I figured why not a whiskey playlist in his honor. Yes both of the images in this post is from Kent's page; follow him to see if he still posts these from Alabama.

Kent is an incredible musician, and the last two years he's been the lead guitarist in a regional country band, Eight Second Ride.  I laughed because while he has eclectic music tastes, country I didn't think was one of them.  He was probably the best guitarist midwest country had.


Here's his last band.


FLASHBACK Friday update; it didn't take Kent long to find a new band in AL


Here's a picture when Lynn and I travelled over to Two Rivers to play a gig with Kent as Luck Dog.  God that guy just needs to know the key you're in... no practice necessary.


So let's have some Whiskey... now some of these song might not be found let's see.



1) If the River was Whiskey - Rising Sons

And of course I was a duck... I found I had this gem with Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder in my CD's 
and forgot about it.


2) Poison Whiskey - Lynyrd Skynyrd

I looked for a picture of Kent listening to this great vinyl... here's a live cut, Kent would nail that lead too.


3) Roses & Whiskey - Matt Heckler

After a great lead electric let's switch to banjo & fiddle.


4) Bad Whiskey - Chuck Brodsky

More banjo as Chuck tells one of his non-baseball stories; try not to buy whiskey from Tom Green.

Bad whiskey killed young Tom Greene
He cooked the stuff himself
He’d gotten into bottling it
For everybody else


5) Hemingway's Whiskey - Guy Clark

Yes of course I'm listening to the studio version of the song, but here's the legendary storyteller live.


6) Whiskey & Water - Willie Nelson and John Daly

Here's a little country that would fit into Kent's last band... I got it on Bandcamp, but it was a fundraiser and not available too embed.


7) Whiskey and Weed - Ira Wolf

Funny how we leave Willie's unique voice to a very pretty voice singing about his favorite subject.  Ira even brings a little banjo into this nice rolling piece that really is a lament about a lover lost to whiskey and weed.


8) Whiskey Women - The Whiskeybelles

Yes when I searched Whiskey, I found OVER 12 songs in the library without trying to search my vinyl for new songs.  How could I not include my friends Chrissy, Kimmy and Sara.?  They rocked our Bluff View once too.


9) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - Jason Edward

Here's some good country dance music for a regional Minnesota digital friend.


10) Martin's Breakdown / Whiskey Before Breakfast - Lady Spruce

You got to have Whiskey before breakfast in this playlist, and I have so many versions, even one with words!  I choose a trio that is up and coming from the Twin Cities.


Because they do not have this piece on YouTube, I wanted to make sure my playlist had another piece from in my vinyl library.. the master Norman Blake.


11) White Man's Bourbon - Robbie Fulks

Of course the whiskey that Kent really likes is the Bourbon type... Robbie keeps his bourbon on a belt to have women give them their body... Robbie has such imagination and this should have been included in my Romance playlist because the deed is done... be forewarned.  Sassy.


12) Bourbon Street - Elvin Bishop

Now let's end the playlist with a dance along.  Now I'm sure there is bourbon served on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, and this ties to the first picture because both the Eat a Peach and Elvin's record Let it Flow were put out on Capricorn Records.


So here's the ONE Click YouTube playlist, yes even the songs included above from Bandcamp are on the list.


Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!