Dave's Music #165 Happy Nation Pie Day


Happy National Pie Day... what isn't that 3/14?  Nope.  Let's start off with a slice of history from WikiPedia... loved that the film Labor Day helped the damage done to the pie industry in American Pie (the film and not the song).

So while I've been searching and finding a plethora of song matches, Pie took a little effort; both in importing some vinyl and buying a new searched song in Bandcamp.

1) Pie & Whiskey - Vance Gilbert

Recommended by David Enge a friend of the Blog, and yes I know Vance from the Great River Folk Fest, and he'll be at the Storyhill Fest in 2023  (on the same weekend this year, so it'll be a tough decision, but I'll likely stay back and help with the GRFF) No Bandcamp, had to buy it in Apple Music; and you know I I love to share the live videos over the audio ones.  A great one here to start us off:


2) Country Pie - Bob Dylan

I was excited to see this song pop up in my Discog search even if I had to import it.  Dang love that good old country Dylan.   Since this is a short playlist (and song btw) I'm giving you the audio and a live video where he reimagines the song:



3) Honey Pie - The Beatles

From the white album, a fairly rare one for me of course Paul wrote this one:


How about a treat I found while searching for the song; I think I need to look up these two, Josh Turner Guitar (who I guess is on the uke, ha) and Allison Young.  Pretty sure this will be the first of many songs by these two.


4) Honey Pie - Plume Giant

Not sure when I added this to my library, but it's not from Apple and it pre-date 2013, so I'm going to guess a free Noisetrade download that I did a lot in the old days.  I found this video of the song, but their last FB post was in 2015.  Nice song though.


5) Pie Song - Emily Scott Robinson

Emily tells you how to bake a pie and then worries about a relationship that has lost its filling.  Yes, she's on Bandcamp but not this old release anymore.  WOW.. such a great live video I found; another reason I love to make these lists.  Now... I need to watch it more only 288 views of this is a sin.  (BTW  David Enge recommended this song, but I already had it in the playlist)


6) Pie and Ice Cream - Bill Bourne

Wow another MySpace gem in the library, and now I'm following Bill's Bandcamp page. and was amazed that he had another Pie song.. so I bought it while doing this post.


7) Saskatoon Pie - Bill Bourne

What is it with Canadians and pie?  eh... this one I couldn't find a YouTube Video.


8) Piece of Pie - Tanner Bingaman

Another one just found as a random search in Bandcamp... I think I like this guy.


9) American Pie - Don McLean

Of course I own this on vinyl that I had to import to get it into my search; I missed this on my first post.  Thanks Kim.



10) Sweet as Pie - Whiskeybelles 

Hey we started it with whiskey pairing, so let's bring back this legendary Milwaukee trio, pour me a shot to go with my sweetie pies.  Right they aren't in Bandcamp, so you get to see their delicious faces.   Too funny Chrissy is talking about locking kids in the car, she recently was blessed with twins.


Here's your One Click playlist to listen to this playlist.


Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!