Dave's Music #166 Goldpine - One

 


Duos, if you follow the blog you know I have soft side and a complete admiration for Americana sound of woman and man singing harmonies, and blending together musically.  Let's see Stone & Snow - 10 mentions; Vivian Leva & Riley Calgano - 5 mentions; Morningbird - 4 mentions, Kelley McRae and Matt Castelein - 7 mentions and a new favorite The Foreign Landers with 2 mentions are very close to being our 2nd repeat review.  While Ben and Kassie Wilson of the Goldpine (formerly known as My One and Only) bring only the guitar played by Ben to a gig; Kassie has the light percussion, and just a tremendous set of vocal pipes.  I met them through the Great River Folk Fest songwriting contest and fell in love with their sound.  I had a chance to see them when they passed through town at our rural legendary bar Leo & Leonas.  The crowd was sparse that night, but I can always tell I know a winner when they got my wife talking about a possible house concert date.

They like many are home based in Nashville, but you can hear the Alabama come out of Kassie's voice and stories.  They did win the Rocky Mountain Songwriter in 2022 and was a Kerrville New Folk Finalist in 2021. (dang that was a strong year with Humbird, Spencer LaJoye, Sam Robbins and Sav Buist from the Accidentals all winners and all my blog favorites)

Let's listen to some music:

1) Wander Away

A nice little starter to wander into the album, and they have a great live video that gives you an introduction.




2) I Still Miss Soneone

They make this classic one their own, from the harmonies at the beginning to the shift and percussive change.  A great cover, and I'm always a big fan of a artist adding a few covers.  Licensing costs are not that outrageous.




3) When I Get to Heaven

One of my favorites from the album, will have you swaying in place.  Like they are live, Ben starts it off picking and Kassie brings in the harmony and then they become a percussive gospel group with Kassie showing off those incredible pipes.


Of course, here they are live without the other stylish studio additions.


4) I Think of You

Kassie takes the lead and walks you through all those times you can't get someone out of your head.


5) About my Baby

Ben takes the lead, and of course in the middle of the song it gets a little sensual with visions of his lover in a long black dress on a hotel king size bed; one could blush a little.




6) Running Me

Another favorite, and a great recap of life on the road; and I can so relate where my wife would want to hit every thrift store just in case.




7) Bones Like a Bird 

Kassie brings the title right as the first words, and the verses take on two different simile stories; little vignettes when it's easy to fly or to cry.  


8) Pretend Not to Know

A sad well told story about the legacy of the Vietnam war.


9) Fresh Legs

Always looking for restoration.


10) I Brought a Knife

They took a cliches and wrote a quick story about it; and it's a great song.  I'll be inviting them back to the library any time they want to release more.




All my Reviews are both for you and me as I learn more about the artists when you slow down and listen.  Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!