DBT #171 Let's spin 4 new albums


When you add over 348 songs or 21 hours to the library in the last 30 days, you tend to have music that you haven't listened too much yet.  While I'm retired with no big excuses for not listening, I also have gotten addicted to watching Netflix "The King's Affection" since Lori didn't want to finish after the first episode.  Dang 20 70 minute episodes, make great background of life wherever I take the laptop, but it sucks up a lot of my attention.  (What a great companion this can be while cooking slow food.) Yes too I might be in love with Park Eun-Bin but I can join the masses a few times a year.


So when it came to review Thursday instead of choosing just one; I'm going to again pick four truly eclectic pieces put into one playlist.  These are the albums that have had most consistent and full plays recently and true to the blog motto; "Good Music has NO Expiration Date, it just sits on a shelf waiting for you to fall in love with it and devour it over and over."  

So from the top left:

1) Tom Russell - Play One More - The Songs of Ian and Sylvia

Ok I'm a sucker for Tom's voice, and while I have a large collection of Ian & Sylvia's music in vinyl; this album is to me a total rediscovery of the songs.  Maybe because as a friend of Ian he took care to find the more obscure songs, and most say these were Tom's favorites.  Just for curiosity, this site said these were their most popular:


And none of these songs are on the album.  So as I had an opportunity to listen while commuting, I just loved the story of The Night The Chinese Restaurant Burned Down.


If you aren't a fan of Tom, you could always start; if you like Old Cheyenne you'll like most of what Tom writes too.  (He's been a pretty good songwriter for a while winning the Kerrville New folk in 1975.)


Released in 2017, he's had at least 18 people pay for his music in Bandcamp.  Here's the whole cd to preview, make sure you also stop over at Sam Bonnifield's Saloon.


2) Rachael & Vilray

After I saw Rachael from Lake Street Dive singing old Jazz on Stephen Colbert's The Late Show, I was hooked and had to share it here.   I also couldn't wait for Bandcamp Friday to buy 2019 release.  (Hey congrats you two for having 125 people BUY the album in Bandcamp ... you fan base for this just might be old school and pays for music.  Now why in the world wouldn't you put your new album on Bandcamp.  Stupid label issues I'm assuming.)  You also find out that night that Tom Hanks loves them too.  Not bad company there.


The whole album sounds like just a night a club with some of the most talented people you could be around.  You'll hear the warmth of friendship, a familiar line or two, and you will leave with such a smile on your face.  Just think for a mere $10 you can bring that night of magic back to your home.  Open a bottle of wine close your eyes and you'll be there again.

While searching for the clip I saw, I see Stephen loves these two as well and had them on when they performed a cut from this album and had the master Jon Batiste join them.


I'm not going to highlight a single song because I love them all as they come up to play.


3) Shake 'Em Up Jazz Band - The Boy in the Boat

If you weren't in the mood for romance jazz, let's go to Bourbon Street and find out what the joyful sounds are coming from.  They'll probably dancing outside because these ladies are going full gear inside.  Again, I don't remember how came across this all women band, but oh are they fun.  From the start with Say "Si Si" to a cover of Wild Women Don't Have the Blues. (I was first introduced the song by Ginni Clemmens a great Chicago singer not included in this Wikipost but it would be fun to have the Lyle Lovett cover too)

While they have some great dance tunes they do get some great harmonies into nice slow like, "Nevertheless"  And... oh boy the way... these ladies have had some Bandcamp love with 385 people buying the collection.  Have a long listen, maybe help them hit 400 people having it their collections.


Ok they have a ton of concerts in YouTube, but here's what I found from this album.  First great harmonies on "Nuts to You"


A Bessie Smith classic:


4) Lisa Bastoni - Backyard Birds

Of course I need to remind you that give me a tasteful songwriter (yes a Kerrville winner too) with a beautiful woman voice and I'll be lost in listening to each word.  Lisa has been in the blog before and she can sing to me anytime, but like I said earlier I have so much music to listen to.  So I added another release of hers this time from 2019 to the library at Bandcamp Friday, in other words slowly I'll have them all.  Bring it On Lisa, and I'll eventually buy them all so I hope you stay patient as in Southern Belle.


Again this is such a great album and 68 other people in Bandcamp agree with me, so give it a listen and maybe buy it today, sure to bring a smile to Lisa.


All my Reviews are both for you and me as I learn more about the artists when you slow down and listen.  Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!