DBT #174 Cats

 


Inspired by my Mr. Hobbes laying his 28 pound body on my laptop, I decided to venture into songs about Cats.  I found so many and completely enjoyed the journey into my vinyls and my wife came up with some great suggestions, so I decided to share as many as I had in my playlist.  Truly I know I'm leaving a few back in the archive room that I haven't imported.  So I built this table from my export of the playlist and added links to a YouTube video or audio; and links in the Artist column takes you to a Bandcamp page where you can buy it for your library.  You don't need to click on each if you don't want to because following this table is a one Click YouTube playlist.

Name - You Tube Video

Artist - Bandcamp Song

Album

Black Cat

Plume Giant

Plume Giant EP

Cat and the Fiddle

The Gothard Sisters

It's the Little Things

Fat Cat

The Whispering Tree

Invisible Forces

I'm The Cat

Jackson Browne

Looking East

Matisse the Cat

Jesse Cook

Frontiers

Shrödinger's Cat

Stephen Ross

The Alchemists

3rd Dead Cat

Chuck Brodsky

Last Of The Old Time

This Cat's in the Doghouse

Rosie Flores

The Americana Agency Sampler 2011

The Year of the Cat

Al Stewart

The Year of the Cat

Patriotism Killed the Cat

Rainbow Girls

While We Wait

10 The Cat - Etain McKinney's Polka

Liz Carroll and Jake Charron

Half Day Road

Cheshire Cat Moon

Brenna Larson

Like Fine Wine

Tom Cat Blues

The New Lost City Ramblers

Mike Seeger, Tom Paley, John Cohen

Dead Cat on the Line

Charlie Parr

Rooster

Black Cat Moan

Don Nix

Hobos, Heroes and Street Corner Clowns

The Cat-Song

Laura Nyro

Season's of Light... Laura Nyro in Concert

The Cat and Rat

Shel Silverstein

Songs & Stories

Alley Cat

Chet Atkins

The Best of Chet Atkins Vol. 2

Yellow Cat

John Denver

Rhymes & Reasons

Mean Eyed Cat

Johnny Cash

Story of a Broken Heart

Rudy's Big Adventure

Cindy Mangsen

Cat Tales

Hey Mr. Tangerine Man

Dave Zeman

Gypsy Soul

Walkin' My Cat Named Dog

Norma Tanega

Walkin' My Cat Named Dog

Our House

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Déjà Vu

Cats And Dogs

The Head And The Heart

The Head And The Heart

Molly Malone... The Cat's Perspective

Marc Gunn

Confessions of a Celtic Music Junkie

Shout You Cats

Maria Muldaur

Garden Of Joy (Good Time Music For Hard Times)

Bitterblue

Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens


To listen to all, click HERE or pick and choose below.

UPDATE May 16th.... For Christine Kane's birthday I noted I did NOT Include the infamous "Four Legs Good and Two Legs Bad" in the playlist, it belongs here:

Here if the You Tube is more that just an audio file, I'll put the videos in here unless I want to say something (and you know I do).



This one is so good to walk to, the studio version has a great percussion track but the audience helps.


Oh this is a fun video:


Heroe's of 80's channel.. Ha, I beg to differ the song was released in 1976.  The 80's helped kill good music. Ha.


Yep lots of cat killing in this playlist.


While I'm adding the audio only videos to the playlist, here's one I don't want you to miss.  It was a song I cover and now call it my Hobbes song.  UPDATE Apr. 27th Our Hobbes died way to early after he lost SEVEN pounds in less than two months.  Here's the New Lost City Ramblers song as a toast and farewell to my best of buddies.


And of course I had recorded it for Hobbes's orange old cat buddy Toby who slept through the recording


Here are the words


Another great White Wall recording.


Found this with a Discog search, great 1973 album


Another vinyl score and I spent a little time importing a few other Laura Nyro's songs and reading her Wiki page.  Wow I have a bigger appreciation for her and that she died way too early.  PLUS you get a fan video with a whole bunch of cat pictures. (Of course as I'm typing Lady Olivia is sitting next to me and sometimes staring at me.)


Nope it's not Chet but it is very close to what I imported for an 1963 vinyl.


When I found this song on Rhymes & Reasons I was so surprised that the record only had three songs for John and the arrangements were so not what he was known for.  I guess the first ever released record still had to have two awesome songs from him.


So I was excited to import some old Sun recording of Johnny when I saw this.  Funny the cat shows up in the first and last verse.


And did not see I also had a reissue of the song in his American Recording Series... hard to beat the Tennessee Three though.


This is such a great story about Rudy the cat, the studio version is easier to understand but it's fun to hear the audience laugh:


Of course I had to include my parody for Toby.


My wife reminded my that the recent No Depression magazine had an article about Norma Tanega, and she loved her back when she was a teenager.  Norma is also famous for being the theme song for What we do in the Shadows tv show, "Your Dead"


Lori also contributed "Our House" because it does have two cats in the yard, here's a great live video.


Almost overlooked this one, I just love the sound this band puts out.


Marc Gunn has a whole cd of Irish songs rephrased for cats, and I picked this one... all of them are awesome.  Poor Molly died after her nine lives.


The Maria Muldaur cd this one is just one of the best jug band blues you'll find. 


Ok last song is a nod Kim, Lori's (my wife) sister.. she insisted I need a CAT Steven's.  Ok this one is just a little bitter, and he's waiting... yep that's like living with a cat.


Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!