DBT #176 The Ballad of


Ok how do I get through and listen to the incredible amount of music I buy or I'm gifted, well many times I don't.  But when I do it's grabbing huge new chunks of music, and I either walk or work listening to it randomly.  I was gifted a download of "Say OK" by Genna & Jesse as they were hoping to inspire me to book them for a house concert.  Their song, "The Ballad of Sara Bland" came on it got me thinking... boy besides Dylan who else used that technique for the song title.  I know I have many more, but picked a dozen songs that again give you (and Me of course I'll likely listen to this one many times) textured nuances of style and genres, and what else is a ballad about... STORIES my favorite song subject. (besides maybe Eyes)

Here are the album covers



1) The Ballad of Sandra Bland - Genna & Jesse

Beautiful and precious Sandra Bland, switching lanes, and tragedy happens to this brown skinned beauty.  As I was searching the song, the story became all too familiar, so let's not forget it's true and shows the sad state of racism in the U.S.  


2) Ballad of a Love Miscast - The Vogt Sisters

Love for Charlie Rose doesn't go to well... hey The Vogt Sisters have made it on to Bandcamp!  Not the album that this song is on, but one that I only own three songs from, so I'll be buying in the future.  I do prefer to share live video versions if available but if you want to hear the 4 minute studio version CLICK Here.


3) Ballad of an Unknown - The Cactus Blossoms

I've made the statement in other playlist posts, when there is a TCB song possible for a mix, I always pick it; you can't go wrong.  I'm not sure who slipped and fell in this song, it's unknown.

He was alive when I found him
His eyes were sad
His cheeks were pale
No signs of violence or foul play
Maybe he slipped and fell
He could barely breathe
He drew me close
Whispered in my ear


4) Ballad of Benson Creek - Hayward Williams

Oh my this song was a MySpace download from 2007, it's fun to revisit it.  He's got one contributed song in Bandcamp and his website has had an update since 2020.  Sad he's got a great soulful storytelling voice. Benson Creek is real, but is the sad story?


5) The Ballad of Howard Marshall - Greg Gilbertson

Greg's a great writer and fantastic guitarist from the Eau Claire area, and while it may look like I don't own this Bandcamp album; I have the physical CD's sometimes too.


I love the live video here and you can hear the story about him writing it for his grandpa.


6) The Ballad of the Lazy Susan and the Dumbwaiter - Katie Dahl

I'm so grateful for Katie to bring a little levity into the playlist.  She's another artist that I'm trying to convince to put her music on Bandcamp, luckily I found a live recording of it.  You can old school buy a cd on her page.  (Funny that's a 64 year old calling her old school, and you know I don't Spotify.)


7) Ballad of John Jerome - Luke Callen

Here's an old folk sounding song about a homeless man.  He puts a pretty classy local hotel in the song:

See the store fronts shining with the christmas lights and the bells
Selling stain glass windows yes they are just pass the charmont hotel
See them taking off their jackets getting ready for the big game
Don’t even check their pockets no they don’t when I ask em for a little bit of change
And i know it don’t much matter when my lamp is your street light
Garbage can is empty so i’m drinking my dinner tonight


8) The Ballad Of Eddie Klepp - Chuck Brodsky

Of course there has to baseball ballad song from Chuck how addresses racism in the states and baseball after WW2.  Maybe we've made some progress, but historically this really makes me so sad this was our country.

They ran him off the field before a game in Birmingham one night
Made him sit up in the grandstand in the section marked “For Whites”
In his Cleveland Buckeyes uniform, it was a new twist on the law
The marshals kept their eyes on him and the hecklers ate him raw



Here's Chuck live doing baseball songs with John McCutcheon... boy I wish I was there for it.



9) The Ballad of Judith Anne - Hope Waits

I do love how the playlist slides into Hope's bluesy jazz pipes.  Since she's not touring and the song isn't on YouTube, you could stream it here, or just read the story.

Wish I could hear you out of my good ear Never was much for peace and quiet dear But I've walked the line every time like a good girl should Until then the weight of those days made a difficult play When you left for good So now this bag of bones I've been known to carry This bag of bones has gotten way too heavy She was such a beautiful girl With her Shirley Temple curls and mischievous eyes But oh, I'm afraid we will never know from that faded look in her smile It's such a shame, such a shame, such a shame, How pictures can sometimes lie So now this bag of bones I've been known to carry This bag of bones has gotten way to heavy All we have are pictures from the day when she was loved Someone knows her deeply and holds the secrets I'd like to be privy of But no one is left who remembers that girl With her Shirley Temple curls and mischievous smile Only my dreams piece together the scenes of a life she once had Goodbye my sweet Judith Ann All the things she signified have been buried since she died Goodbye my sweet Judith Anne This next stop is mine, and I'm travelling light This next stop is mine, and I'm travelling light

Writer(s): Peter Malick, Christie Johnson 

10) The Ballad of Laverne and Captain Flint - Steve Earle (cover of Guy Clark)

Guy can tell a story, and Steve did such a great tribute album.


Of course this reminds me of seeing Steve in 2022 at the Dakota.  Strange I can understand him better in this room.  Damn drums were too loud.


11)  Ballad of Tom Hazel - Caitlin Jemma

Caitlin is in Bandcamp, but not this older release.  I fell quickly in love with this free spirit busking in Boulder, and we've became friends and I hosted her once for a house concert.  The only place I could find this song is on Spotify and I refuse to give Spotify any love.  It's on the album Old Joy of course I have in my library.  I will email Caitlin and ask why she doesn't put her back releases on Bandcamp, it's truly a fun cd.

12) Ballad of the Sad Cafe - Don Lange

I suppose it fitting to end the playlist with a sad story.  Don paints such a poetic picture.


Now here's a ONE Click playlist for ten of the songs:



Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!