DBT #178 Out & About Town Feb 24-25

 


If you hadn't known we had a pretty dry February from live music because my wife Lori had toe surgery and I didn't feel like rubbing it in that I could go without her... (there's a reason we've been together over 45 yearsOur goal was to have doctor clearance to make it to the Luke Callen show with opener Long Mama.  Readers of the blog know I was excited about the show when I posted this 4 Album review on Feb 2nd.  PLUS Kat from Long Mama read it and remembered I wanted to hear Badlands Honeymoon.  Now that's why I take the time to write these posts.  (God knows it's not for the fame, money and success)

So as the weekend came up and we had clearance to go out again, FRIDAY was an intensely over booked night of entertainment in LaCrosse.  First there was a quickly booked concert of Willy Porter & Carmen Nickerson at the Pump House, and then I saw Matt Monsoor & The Nunnery was playing at the Root Note and that was where we were going.  Dang then I saw with Marbleseed conference in town, and Pearl Street Brewery booked Carrie Sue & the Wood Burners from Urbana IL.  Quickly I noted two of the Chicago Farmer bandmates were the Wood Burners and they had just one video out there.  When I asked what they sound like Carrie responded in IG "we promise we sound like that one song! I was sold, and we changed plans to go out to the PSB.

Boy the Pearl Street was packed and loud.  I love that people were enjoying themselves and Carrie Sue + were awesome.  I got a couple video's for the world to hear them. First when I went up close to get a video the Wood Burners decided to get those organic farmers dancing, and they did just that:


I kept wanting to get Carrie singing a quiet song, and I got a great cover of a Gillian Welch song, and oh my I could listen to her all night at a house concert in Holmen some day. (Hint hint)


We didn't stay out until the end, I loved them but it's hard to listen with all the crowd noise; until next time.

Next night with Long Mama and Luke Callen did not disappoint.  Front row opposite the drums so I could control the sound a little on the videos.  I have taken to setting my phone on my lap so while the angle makes them look like they are on a higher stage, I can watch normally while I video without bothering people and unless I move in my seat the camera stays steady.  I'm going to post the videos as we heard them, enjoy. 

Clean Break her sad love song.


Kite Flyer, all the songs Kat with Long Mama played were from her first album "Poor Pretender"


When Kat said this was a request, I wondered, "Mine????" ... later I asked her and it was; Badlands Honeymoon.  I love the tempo changes, the embellished story, making love while the coyotes howl, and truly was there a barrel of a shotgun? Click here to read along


Up next our buddy Luke, who has played our house concert three times and of course we've seen him out and about with and without the band.  At the Grand Hotel Ballroom, he was strutting how the new band works. (Even with the best bass backup you will ever see in Pat Keen unless of course maybe if it was the infamous Liz Draper)

I'm not sure if these are in the right order except for the last and closing "Tomatoes" song.



Didn't it Rain... maybe on next album?


The little bird sitting on my shoulder didn't tell me the name of this song so I'm guessing "Between my Love"  


Fishin... I think this is Luke's nephew's favorite song... Speaking of family I did have a conversation with Mary (his mom) about potentially landing a picture of Luke in show choir during high school.  I heard about it on the LaCrosse Local podcast.  A great content provider who has recently blocked me from commenting on their Facebook posts.  A little sensitive to an old dog who was just saying why aren't there more women playing headliner gigs in LaCrosse.  Oh well, they probably will be blocking me longer now, but I hope they get the hint... seems to be an old man's network in a pretty progressive town that I've grown to love.


Luke closed the night with his single released from an upcoming album produced by Erik Koskinen, and I put it up on our Monday Morning Song.  I respected Luke by not adding the intro banter, sometimes he doesn't love his talking between songs, but I've grown to love it. (see the 2018 BC house concert available HERE)


ALL of these songs have been added to my Around Town playlist, just CLICK it and join me as I recall the concerts I've seen over the years.




Next steps if you have time:

- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!