DBT #204 Mr. Blink - Shine

 


I remember first started to enjoy the LaCrosse area music, and someone said; "Oh that's Mr. Blink, he's a legend."  Now that's a high mark to set, but Mike Caucutt (aka Mr. Blink) earns it by working his ass off and having absolute fun as he's doing it.  Be it jamming at a Farmer's Market, celebrating St. Patty's Day at the Earle's Grocery and Saloon, or playing Moon Tunes with the full band down at Riverside Park.  Some of you know that I'm helping again this year with the Great River Folk Fest Songwriting Contest, Mike was the first winner.  I once was talking to him being in Three Dads, and he said, "Dave, I probably five different projects going, you have to enjoy playing music"

Well in December 2022, Mike put together and ambitious studio project Shine, that he would describe, "We all have stardust in us. We all can shine. Continue to be kind and shine."  This year WAMI opened the nominations on line, and the west coast of Wisconsin got a little love.  Shine got noticed and was nominated the album in three categories:

Album of the Year
Blues, Country & Folk Album of the Year
Country Song of the Year - "I'm Just a Moose"

YES They won "Blues, Country & Folk Album of the Year"  Congrats Mike, the band, and everyone associated with the recording.

Again, Mike and I were talking and agreed that Bandcamp was a great format, and I picked up his album in one of the Bandcamp Fridays.  Now just like last weeks review with Marcia Ball, this we're going to have some fun dancing music with Mr. Blink, an awesome band.

1) I'm Just a Moose

Yes, if this groove instantly grabs you, hang on to your hat because you are in for a treat.  Yes the piano playing Mike's talented wife Nancy, and she's immediately followed by my favorite local fiddle players, Jessie McDonald.  I probably could highlight them in each song, but I'll behave myself.  Since Mike went through the effort of posting lyrics, let's read and enjoy this poor moose's story:

I was mighty and bold - And I grew to be old
When Alaska was young and inviting
Now I've been changed - By a hunter deranged,
And my prospects are less than exciting

We wandered so free - My Creator and me
Over valleys and forests together.
Now I'm stuck in this place - Not all, just my face
On a wall in a cabin forever.

Chorus
Oh, give me the days
When I roamed in a rage,
And I leapt to the wilderness call;
Now I think, "What's the use?"
I'm only a moose ...
A moose on a log cabin wall.


Yes I was lucky enough to tape Mr. Blink doing this song at the Great River Sound stage in Onalaska.  Boy it was a hot night, and the band was hot too.



2) Kickapoo

Who says an angry story filled with history can't be a fun jam song set off with that great fiddle line. Boy the song makes you want to go on down to the Kickapoo river and see the most crooked river in the world.  Mike's story is all backed up in Wikipedia too.  I love great writing when a song inspires you to research it.


3) Uh huh

Mike has a great attitude of the world, when I asked him what he loves about music, "Every gig is different. Every time you play a song if your album its different. One thing AI won't replace are live performances. In the span of humanity there will be art, theater, music, literature before AI and then after. Its too late to turn back."

So maybe this song is about life before it's too late.


4) The First George Coleman Poage

Switch the beat to a ragtime beat as Mike tells the story of first black athlete from LaCrosse who also just won Olympic medals. (no small feat!)  Now there's two songs that made me research, and both so enjoyable to listen to.  I found out from Jesse that Mike was commissioned to write this for the opening and dedication of the Poage Park on 5th and Hood in LaCrosse.  Job well done!


5) Holes in My Jeans

Next up a little blues, and the organ and mournful fiddle bring out memories of Dylan's Desire album. 


6) You're Gone

Fun little love song is actually has a great back story, per Jesse, "The track “You’re Gone” isn’t really about unrequited love, it’s actually about Mike accidentally cutting off the tip of his left pinky finger (true story)."


7) If I Can Make it to September

Truly a sad tale about working through cancer, you don't hear in the song how it ends.


8) It's Alright

Now we're back to rockin' with a throwback* to an early 60's feel with backup girl choir.  It's alright with me too. (* also Mr. Blink's 3rd album)


9) Shine 

The title track takes you out slowly with hope and love, which brings me back to the beautiful cover art.  Per Jessie, "The cover art was a painting by our good friend and artist Nikki Andrews, who graciously let us crash at her place in Madison after long days in the studio - she even nourished us with a seemingly endless supply of wine, chocolate, and cheese "

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!