DBT #207 Dylan Covers


Back when Dave's Basement Tracks was a radio show, I always gave a nod to Bob for co-opting his Basement Tapes name by starting the show with a Dylan Cover.  I am a huge Dylan fan, and I so much love a great cover that now when I buy an old vinyl; I'm always checking to see if they did any Dylan covers.  I've added some pretty obscure and fun songs over the years; to a point where I decided not to lose track of them.  I put them in a digital playlist that is 84 songs and slightly over 6 hours of music.  Truly I know I'm still scratching the surface, and I'm going to highlight a few of my favorites today.  Some likely have shown up in the blog before.

1) One More Cup Of Coffee - Calexico & Roger McGuinn

The flamenco guitar and horns, and Roger's voice is so right for this version.


2) Clothesline Saga - The Roches

You might never go back to Basement Tapes to listen to Dylan after you hear the Roches nail this song.


3) Workingman's Blues # 2 - Lisa Bastoni

Not a song you expect to hear from a woman, and again it stops me in my tracks to listen to it every time it comes up in the shuffle.  I think having a woman sing it brings more empathy to the words.


I highly recommend the studio version, but this solo video is great too, and provides the information she likely learned it for the Bob Dylan Tribute show.


4) Sign on the Window - Jennifer Warnes

Here's one of the rare vinyl imports.... so glad that I do this to allow to revisit some rarer songs, and of course anytime I can listen to Jennifer sing is a good day.  The playlist also has a Melanie cover of this song which is a more folky contrast.


5) Love Minus Zero / No Limit - Jackson Browne

This song reminds me I have not 100% imported the great double album of Dylan Covers that Joan Baez did very early in her career.  Jackson could sing an entire Dylan library and I'd buy it.  The production mix with that organ is classic.


6) Let's Keep it Between Us - Bonnie Raitt

Right I was filling out my Bonnie library and found a Dylan cover on a new used vinyl, but let's keep that between us... ha.  A song only found a Bootleg Volume 16 by Dylan.


7) Blind Willie McTell - Beth Bombara

When a new friend from FARM shows up in the playlist, I need to share it.  Beth does an awesome job and I'll share both the studio and a live version because the studio version is so perfect, and to see Beth live is a treat.



8) It Ain't Me Babe - Jesse Cook featuring Melissa McClelland

Oh my the guitar work and beat, not sure how I have this in the library; but I'm so glad for it.


9) Tell Me It Isn't True - The Cactus Blossoms

I really didn't remember this great song from Nashville Skyline, but I went back to it had Bob's romantic country voice and it's ok but come on the Cactus Blossoms now own this song.


10) All Along the Watchtower - The Paperboys

Right so many versions of this song but the Paperboys add a Celtic feel, and on this Red House Nod to Bob album, I absolutely fell in love with the song and the band forever.

Loved that they are keeping the song alive in the set with this video only 8 months old, I couldn't add this to the YT playlist because Tom's got those kid's settings wrong.  Oh my a 8 minutes version, I did find another one for the video playlist.


Here's a 4 minute studio version:


Here's a ONE Click YouTube Playlist.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!