DBT #217 Mentionables
Ok truly I'm satisfied that I put in over 11 hours of listening to all the Great River Folk Fest submissions at least once; and of course many more if I add in the multiple listens. I'm good with the interruption to the DBT Blog, because I consider this my research into new music for the library. Being one of the three first round judges comes with the job, and boy it's not always easy. We had about 70 artists put their name and songs (some more than two submissions), 36 artists highlighted in 6 blog posts; could have easily highlighted 50+. When the first round judges were done only 3 artists were consensus top 12 finalists, 8 were chosen by two of the judges, and one was in the top 12 because one chose them and the other two had them high in the teens. NINE artists had a top 12 vote while not making the list, which of course is kind of why I'm here writing this blog post.
I am not saying these were the Nine who had a vote, these are ten songs that I have stashed away in a playlist to remind me that they matter and they were introduced to me during the 2023 contest. I'm pretty sure I won't find all these songs to share with you and I don't initially have any authorization to upload to YouTube for listening. Plus some songs might not have been submitted, but I have since bought or have been gifted the song for my library. Let's see what I can find.
1) MN Farm Girl - Skarlett Woods
Right, the first one I couldn't find. I did find Skarlett on Bandcamp and this song is in my wishlist, and I hope she adds more.
2) Pleiades - Tom Carlson
Tom's album is now in my wishlist.
3) Pounding Spike - Nick Nielsen
Right I can't find this anywhere.
4) Blanks - Central Standard Time
A duo from Iowa are out in Bandcamp and I have some of their music in my wishlist including this song:
5) Day Trip Tuesday - The Shandies
This female duo has already hit the blog with a review; and I was looking for another opportunity to listen to this song. It needs a video ladies!
6) It Doesn't Go Away - Jason Baker
Jason has contributed this song for a Social Change cause, I have it now on my wishlist. I do believe I met Jason in previous years contests too.
Here's Jason performing the song:
7) Devil May Care - Gaben Moore
Gaben from Madison WI has an account in Bandcamp, and he just added this EP to his page:
8) Basement Tapes - Pinkerton Raid
Ha... I have to include this song in my blog or I would be shot by the blog editor alliance.
Here their official video:
9) Stupid Goddamn Face - Jadea Kelly
Yep, she's in my library and can call me names if she would like.
10) Little Warbler - Joel Brogan
Joel was an early submitter and has nice songs. He does have his recordings out in BC:
Right with the issues of most of these songs were submitted via MP3 I did give it any hope to find many in YouTube so I didn't try to make a playlist.
I hope along the line they make a video and share it with me; I'm determined to keep following these great writers even if they were just part of the Mentionable's. ;-) Ha...
- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.
If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.