DBT #223 Summer Ride

 


This weekend we'll take a summer ride down to Madison for a graduation party, and one I'm excited about seeing family that I don't see often enough.  Well that means a new playlist for the Summer Ride... Yes we'll have many this year as we go to Bayfield twice and Colorado once; and then add in inpromtu trips.

This little touches a little on traveling, destinations, summer songs, and songs I recently imported and wanted to listen to more.  Also in the car I have to think of Lori's tastes, and wanting to share with her songs I've discovered.  (Cowboy Boots by Robin Bienemann she hasn't heard, and I'm thinking about putting his whole album on the phone, but I can stream it from Bandcamp just as easy)

In case I can't find the songs anywhere this is my playlist and order.


1) Corduroy Road - Long Mama

Take a walk / ride down Corduroy Road in Alaska.  Long Mama just released this song this week, felt like a little inspiration to start this playlist.


2) Angels Rejoiced Last Night - Gram Parsons w/Emmylou Harris

Just imported the vinyl Sleepless Night, and Lori and I love this song.


3) Mountains & Marian - Kenny Rankin

I'm a huge fan of Kenny's music and have been on a journey to fill my collection of all his vinyl.  Here's a great cover of the recently departed Gordon Lightfoot song.  Since this old song is not in YouTube, his cover of Pussywillow Cattails was (yes another Lightfoot song)


4) Waycross, Georgia - Iris Dement

Hey a destination song that I just haven't listened to enough.


5) Southern Summer - The Vogts Sisters

I'm going to miss them this summer, but we'll be out of town when the traveling to Viroqua.  While they have a Bandcamp page, it doesn't have this album; so you get a live cut.  (Even though I'm not posting all the audio videos,  I am creating a YouTube Playlist for this playlist too.)


6) Country Radio - Taylor Ashton

To my dismay but the deal was good for the first year; we also have Sirius Radio in the car.  Lori likes the randomness and is tuned to Outlaw Country a lot.  It made me want to add this song to the playlist; it just doesn't get played enough.


Here he is live, and wishing he had a fraction of the money another artist named Taylor has.


7) Luther Played the Boogie - Johnny Cash

Yep an import from vinyl within the last 3 months; and while he has live videos of the song, here's what I'm listening to.


8) Cajun Moon - Maria Muldaur

Here's a romp through the swamp with Maria.  Yes another vinyl import.


9) Lowlands - The Ozark Mountain Daredevils 

Yes we'll be seeing them live for the first time this summer.  They have a Bandcamp page but didn't consider this song a greatest hit, I do.  Here's a fun video with band introductions before the song, but this is before Molly Healey was added to the band and before they lost their their harmonica player.  Lowlands is really a soft song being a traveler.


10) Rolling Home - Lojo Russo

Yep, Lori accuses me all the time when I get fixated on rolling home, I don't stop for anything.  Ha.  I do resemble that remark and had to add this song.


11) Summer Days - Bob Dylan

What's a playlist without a Dylan song, and one again that doesn't get a lot of play for me.  He pulls out a great rockabilly beat, or knowing Bob he borrowed a great groove and wrote some new words to it.


12) Don't Let Me Die in Florida - Patty Griffin

I'll probably visit there to see my sister-in-law and maybe friends at WinCraft, but hell I'm getting out of there quick.  Loved the title of the song, and again I'm glad for this playlist to listen to it more.  I think this one was a CD import that I scored recently.  I love the intro to this solo video... great sound.



13) Cowboy Boots - Robin Bienemann

Nope I don't even own Cowboy boots, so I can not do this song at home; plus I like how this one moves along which helps keep the driver awake.


14) The Boys of Summer - Front Country

This little cover EP they did was sooooooo gooood.


And by adding it to the playlist, I get the reason to search them and find these very cool live videos.  I someday want to see them live.  We did have them booked for the Great River Folk Fest, and then the pandemic kill it.


15) Summer's End - John Prine

John at his finest in an album that should have won a Grammy.


Here's John in an official video.


Here's the promised ONE Click YouTube Playlist.


Safe travels, and don't do these next steps while driving:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.






The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!