DBT #226 Julie Williams - self titled


Sorry all of you followers for taking most of the summer off; but if you follow our Facebook page you know I've been still making playlists and going to a lot of live music.  One of the places we went was our first TWO day experience of Mile of Music in Appleton WI (last year we just stopped in for a few hours).

Before we got there I created a list 20 artists (some good friends) that I wanted to see.  Nikki Morgan was a friend and I found her on the schedule in a song swap in a great air conditioned room at the Hilton (yes it was a HOT day in August).  To my delight, I also got the opportunity to see Julie Williams.  Well after the weekend I asked her (or someone who manages her BC page) why her EP wasn't listed yet.  She thanked me and I was the first person to buy it.  Now you SHOULD!  Six incredibly written songs with so much depth, the only thing she might be missing in one song with a little humor.  I had checked out her YouTube channel and also knew you are in for a treat; and who knows what else I'll find.

1) Sugarcoat

I love the groove on this song, and just made me wonder how poppy this EP would be?  BTW Lou Rawls "Coulda Shoulda Woulda" is in my vinyl library.

Falling out of bed at 3pm
Praying for the rain to cancel my plans
Talkin’ to my coffee ‘bout tonight

I don’t think I’m in the mood for another night
Of running into you under faded lights
Pretending that you didn’t just break my heart

I shoulda coulda woulda
Told my friends I just need some sleep
Shoulda, coulda, woulda
Put away your photo while I drink


Here's her official video:


and here's when I started thinking wow this woman's good.


2) Southern Curls

I'm an old white guy so I've been blessed with all the benefits, and when you listen to this girl with curls growing up it just wants you to say "FU Southern Bigots" though I know hatred runs deep and in every city.  I can only hope well written songs like this that follow young woman's life touches and changes some hearts.


How can you watch this video without absolutely falling in love with Julie.  (Now don't you dare to think about touching her hair read Amber Ruffin's novel.)



3) Wrong Mr. Right

Remember by the beginning if I thought this was to poppy, that gentle guitar and banjo in this song erases that thought.  Another soul searching story that has the oddest but real breakup.   Poor guy even loved by her family; well, all I'm hoping for someday is a hug.

He’s somebody’s someone
He just isn’t mine
I can’t go on forever and ever
Trying to force the stars to align
It just makes it worse
No bridges were burned
Wish I could but I can’t hate that man if I try
He’s just the wrong Mr. Right


4) Big Blue House

Julie has some a great way of telling stories that paint of the racial divide in human ways.  This haunting song again makes me cringe to see the hatred that is flamed by a particular party who thinks they are on the right side.  You really don't see the message coming at you with such imagery in the chorus:

There must be big monsters, bears, and spiders that can kill you with just one bite
Screaming witches with silver hair howling into the night
She didn't know that what could kill her wasn't in that haunted hole
it was a white man, big gun, blue house
Dixie flag on his pole, now she knows what daddy knows



5) The Prince

Oh the name of the song makes me think this one will be happy.  Dang now I'm absolutely hating the male species and wanting more to just hug her (probably over a glass of wine with my wife after a house concert)  The instrumentation to the song is so inviting for this tough song.

I’ve got bruises on my skin and a bite mark on my thigh from a prince who turned to pauper when the wicked clock struck midnight
I wanted him to like me so that I could like myself
What does it say about me if I let him cross my boundaries


Another great video and if you watch closely you will see Nikki Morgan driving Uber.


6) Left You for Her

Dang, she's a heart breaker.  This time she's leaving one for Nashville.  


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!